Why Electric Bikes are More Dangerous than Motorcycles

OneMoreFarang

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just this week I saw a guy riding amongst traffic on an electric ‘foot scooter’ (not the motorcycle type, the stand up type)... with smaller wheels like that one pot-hole and he’s off, far more unstable and slower than the traffic around him a lot of drivers were not giving him any space at all when squeezing by...  lunacy !... 

I agree

and a few days ago I saw a teenager on such a thing holding the middle of the little handle bar (the T section) with one hand and a mobile phone with the other hand.

To be fair it was in a Soi and not on the main road. He was moving all over the road from side to side. Like: What could possibly go wrong...

• Sad 1

I think it's just another one of the choices you have in Thailand.

All down the person no matter what IQ ????.

Also where you live and what your commuting requirements are. 

There's hundreds of ebikes in our village, from the standing scoot, to ev scooters, 3 & 4 wheel vehicles to cars. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I think it's just another one of the choices you have in Thailand.

All down the person no matter what IQ ????.

Also where you live and what your commuting requirements are. 

There's hundreds of ebikes in our village, from the standing scoot, to ev scooters, 3 & 4 wheel vehicles to cars. 

Sure. And I think the guy had some valid points in that video.

• Like 1

OK, peeked at vid .... 60 kph on a ebike or any bicycle ... without proper gear.  That's just stupid.  Mine will do 40 kph, and I hang around 25 kph, simply because if an oops at 40 kph, well, I just don't bounce like I used to, along with not wearing a helmet.

Again, it's not the machines, it's the idiot who operate them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

OK, peeked at vid .... 60 kph on a ebike or any bicycle ... without proper gear.  That's just stupid.  Mine will do 40 kph, and I hang around 25 kph, simply because if an oops at 40 kph, well, I just don't bounce like I used to, along with not wearing a helmet.

Again, it's not the machines, it's the idiot who operate them.

I think motorcycles are considered dangerous by many people. So people are somewhere aware that they should be careful with them - ok, maybe not in Thailand.

But with eBikes it seems many people think it is similar to a bicycle, not so dangerous. And that is the thinking error which is highlighted in that video.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think motorcycles are considered dangerous by many people. So people are somewhere aware that they should be careful with them - ok, maybe not in Thailand.

But with eBikes it seems many people think it is similar to a bicycle, not so dangerous. And that is the thinking error which is highlighted in that video.

The 'accident' examples in vid, were total idiots, and shouldn't be operating anything.   Are 60 kph ebikes even legal.  Is anything over 25 kph legal ???  With or without being licensed.

That's some crazy speeds, on a bicycle without proper protection.  Brakes, frame, suspension just aren't built for those speeds.  I don't, wear protective clothing on my motorcycles, never did, but damn, I always had a proper helmet.

Bicycle helmets are good for 1 bounce at 25 kph, IF THAT.

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Didn't bother watching, as title simply too silly to waste my time.  Products and machine that need to be operated by people aren't dangerous. 

The people who operate them are ????

FortNine is one of the best motorcycle video producers on Youtube. Educational videos that raise important subjects but also entertaining and very well made. Also one of the very very few who actually will name their sources.

If you had watched it in its entirety then you'd know the point was that many people will see e-bikes as not dangerous while seeing motorcycles as dangerous but the opposite can be the case. F9's arguments are pretty solid.

Of course it's always people and how they handle things that make things dangerous eventually but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look at how people actually behave right now in reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1