Phone mount for motorcycle that wont overheat my phone?

TheLaughingMan

I was about to buy an expensive phone mount for my motorcylce Im buying next week in Thailand only to remember that when I lived there the phone under the hot sun would overheat and shut down so using a phone on a mount for gps in a sunny day was absolutely useless, is there any way around this?  lol like does anyone know of a product that wont let my phone overheat?  Im guessing no but thought Id ask

I would think at 80 kph , for instance, the wind alone will cool the phone. On a winding mountain road the changes in direction and the occasional shady patches will help.

My ancient Samsung seems to handle it OK. I'm changing to WP5 similar to above.

Edited by VocalNeal

Maybe it is in the angle. On my bike the phone is almost vertical in front of me so at midday the sun doesn't get much area to heat up. If you have the phone mounted low and horizontal, pointed up towards you it might be different.

This being worse.

spacer.png

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Maybe it is in the angle. On my bike the phone is almost vertical in front of me so at midday the sun doesn't get much area to heat up. If you have the phone mounted low and horizontal, pointed up towards you it might be different.

Yes this might be the answer I was looking for, Ill try to set it up more upright, it did indeed used to lie almost flat and get so hot it would shut down.  Thankyou

OP, maybe address the phone itself , shut down the 27 apps running in the background, turn off wifi, lower power settings etc. Dont have it charging on a power bank, switch to flight mode when useing GPS etc.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I keep my phone in my pocket and listen to gps in my helmet.

Don't have time looking at it when riding.

I agree, and in full sun you wont be able to see much of the screen anyway. Thats probably where the heat is coming from, OP has the phone wound up to full brightness.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, maybe address the phone itself , shut down the 27 apps running in the background, turn off wifi, lower power settings etc. Dont have it charging on a power bank, switch to flight mode when useing GPS etc.

Turn off WiFi/turn on flight mode and use the navigation facilities.... how?

Switching to a battery saver mode will dim the display to a level which will make it unusable in the sunlight.

Android already manages background apps for you, and manually shutting them down is more likely to increase power consumption than decrease it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I agree, and in full sun you wont be able to see much of the screen anyway. Thats probably where the heat is coming from, OP has the phone wound up to full brightness.

preeeetty sure its the sun heating my phone ????  Have you ever laid something out flat in the sun for an hour and then touched it?  thats heat from the sun 

1 hour ago, TheLaughingMan said:

ok so peple arent believing me lol, I used to mount an iphone in the hot sun on my motorcycle for like 40 minutes and it would shut down from over heating, maybe you guys arent driving for that long or not in the sun?  I dont know

Probably more to do with your phone than actual overheating, I use my Samsung for hours at a time on a Ram mount and it's never shut down on me once

Ram mount v (Medium).jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Probably more to do with your phone than actual overheating, I use my Samsung for hours at a time on a Ram mount and it's never shut down on me once

Ram mount v (Medium).jpg

Hmm maybe its an iphone weakness or possibly just the older models, it was 6 or 7 years ago when I was experiencing this, hopefully my new model wont have this issue!

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

Turn off WiFi/turn on flight mode and use the navigation facilities.... how?

Switching to a battery saver mode will dim the display to a level which will make it unusable in the sunlight.

Android already manages background apps for you, and manually shutting them down is more likely to increase power consumption than decrease it.

GPS is a passive receiver and works in flight mode. Flight mode shuts down anything that transmits.

How are you getting LINE, facebook notifications, weather updates etc if its not running in the background.

Edited by Peterw42

4 hours ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Is quadlock worth it?  its incredibly expensive once you get all the addons, I was looking at the weatherproof wireless charging head and the extra weatherproof adapter cord, the vibration dampener as well. 

I use the mount as above and the vibe damper.

Expensive - well ... guess that depends on what you want.

Easy to use, fool proof, high quality ... Yes

Charging head not required with the WP6 as the battery capacity is huge. Goes all day

Run OSM usually so no WIFI or SIM card required.

• Like 1

GPS is a passive receiver and works in flight mode. Flight mode shuts down anything that transmits.

Yes but Google maps, the software that 99% of people use for navigation, requires an internet connection for most functionality.

How are you getting LINE, facebook notifications, weather updates etc if its not running in the background

I never said the apps aren't running in the background (although technically most of them aren't always running in the background; they mostly use Google's notification system which is a tiny service that takes no significant amount power to operate).

The authors of the operating system on your phone are way more clever than you or I, and apps are automatically hibernated when not needed and awoken when they are.

If you force stop your apps, the OS will most likely just need to use additional power to start the background services up again. And you have no real control over that process.

Edited by JayClay

iPhones are known for having heat issues in the sun. They dim the screen rather quickly due to that which also doesn't help if you want to use it as a navi. Don't think a particular mount will help too much in that regard unless it can provide shade but still some airflow. I've used my Samsung S7 with a simple mount and it never overheated. I would recommend a vibration dampener if it's a phone that's valuable and might get damaged by high frequency vibes (for example OIS of the cam).

I can't wait until more bikes get Android Auto or Apple Car Pay integration so we can have Google Maps on the bikes screen while the phone is in the pocket.

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

Yes but Google maps, the software that 99% of people use for navigation, requires an internet connection for most functionality.

Not really. Download a map for offline usage and the most important navigation stuff works without any internet connection. Just live traffic data wont be available.

36 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Not really. Download a map for offline usage and the most important navigation stuff works without any internet connection. Just live traffic data wont be available.

Live traffic is pretty useful, though...

And if I remember correctly from last time I checked, the area you can select for offline is pretty small.

I've never had an issues with heat from my phone when using it for a couple of hours in the sun, anyway, so it's no advantage for me to use it offline.

The bigger issue I have is when it rains; the screen seems to go crazy registering finger prints all over the place even when not touching it. To combat this I got one of those waterproof transparent wallet/money/phone holders that are popular during sonkran, cut a small gap to allow it down on the stand, and I cover the screen with that.

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

And if I remember correctly from last time I checked, the area you can select for offline is pretty small.

Nope the areas can be very large, several provinces. E.g. from BKK to the Lao border north of Phitsanulok. And you can select more than one so you can cover all of Thailand if you want to.

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Live traffic is pretty useful, though...

Only in BKK imho.

I've used Google Maps offline all over Thailand to extend the battery life of my phone. I turn internet on when I start the navigation and whenever I take a break. While driving it's usually off. That way I get traffic data at the beginning and every now and then which has turned out good enough for most cases. Only in BKK I tend to keep it on for better live data and rerouting.

• Like 1