Orders Placed for 17,068 EVs with Tax Incentives

snoop1130

1663926854_343880-tnamcot-768x416.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 23 (TNA) – Buyers have ordered 17,068 electric motorcycles and cars that enjoy tax incentives from the state, according to the energy minister.

Supattanapng Punmeechaow, the energy minister who is also a deputy prime minister, said the National Electric Vehicle Policy Committee acknowledged the orders in its meeting today.

The panel was also briefed on initiatives to support the production of batteries for electric vehicles (EV) and develop Thailand into an EV production base.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1024061

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-09-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Buyers have ordered 17,068 electric motorcycles and cars that enjoy tax incentives from the state, according to the energy minister.

Wiki lists Thailand as about 19,500,000 cars on the road. so only another 19,493,000 to go. Let's hope the powers that be don't copy the nutty California policy !

• Like 2

It is long overdue, that the government gets behind alternatives to gas and especially the extremely foul diesel vehicles. Now, they will have to invest tens of billions in infrastructure for charging stations. 

In other nations, it is known as the concept of progress or forward movement. Sort of the opposite of Cha Cha or Prawit, the backwards men. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is long overdue, that the government gets behind alternatives to gas and especially the extremely foul diesel vehicles. Now, they will have to invest tens of billions in infrastructure for charging stations. 

In other nations, it is known as the concept of progress or forward movement. Sort of the opposite of Cha Cha or Prawit, the backwards men. 

I just hope some of the Samlor owners switch to faster electric vehicles, but somehow doubt it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rovinman said:

Is there ANY Infrastructure/Charging Stations in place yet  ?

Best to actually read the OP & link provided before posting.

Just a thought:

"There are 2,572 power outlets at 869 charging stations nationwide. (TNA)"

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I couldn't agree more to getting rid of the 'foul' diesel vehicles.

But... The true cost of electric vehicles: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/XV9ijKAubfU

• Haha 1

Until better inventions come along, (aside from hydro & wind for energy) then it's home Solar & EVs for anyone thinking 'green' ... until y'all start simply walking, or using bicycles or horses for transportation.

Which, I actually don't have a problem, as everything I need, is within walking distance.

• Like 1

Just now, ozz1 said:

I bet that most of the vehicles are electric bikes not cars I've seen alot of electric bikes and only one electric car 

Thought the same thing, as no way, is there 10k EV/cars ordered/put in for incentives here, since May or June.  I think MG & GWM only had 2k units each available, and I think I'm being generous with those numbers.

Or worse thought, people are scamming the incentive program, and stating cars sold, getting the incentives without sales.  Wonder how the incentive program actual works, as most, if not all motorbikes, do NOT qualify, I think.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Thought the same thing, as no way, is there 10k EV/cars ordered/put in for incentives here, since May or June.  I think MG & GWM only had 2k units each available, and I think I'm being generous with those numbers.

Or worse thought, people are scamming the incentive program, and stating cars sold, getting the incentives without sales.  Wonder how the incentive program actual works, as most, if not all motorbikes, do NOT qualify, I think.

I think the numbers relate to all ev ordered since March when the annoucement was made, I have seen some facebook posts where customers were offered 2 choices

1) Quick delivery of EV but outside of the incentive program

2) Wait for  incentive program to be approved and finalized and your order will be included in the incentive program

20 hours ago, ozz1 said:

I bet that most of the vehicles are electric bikes not cars I've seen alot of electric bikes and only one electric car 

Don't know where you are but in Bangkok there are tons of electric cars.  I see a lot of Teslas on the street, full electric MGs, lots of Ora Good Cats, quite a few fully electric Volvo XC40s.  Literally every time I go out on the roads I will see several of them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Don't know where you are but in Bangkok there are tons of electric cars.  I see a lot of Teslas on the street, full electric MGs, lots of Ora Good Cats, quite a few fully electric Volvo XC40s.  Literally every time I go out on the roads I will see several of them.

Never seen one. Plenty of leccy bikes and tris but no cars or pick-ups.

These leccy bikes are making many Thais lazy. Not many fat ladies 15 years ago. Now they are all over. In my village some use their leccy bike to go to the shops just 40 metres away. And come back with a large cola. Then sit down with the 'tippy tappy' and drink it.

23 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yes, but the new-blip states 17k+ taking advantage of the govt incentives, means ordered since incentives available.  That's a lot of EVs, in less than 6 months.

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Never seen one. Plenty of leccy bikes and tris but no cars or pick-ups.

These leccy bikes are making many Thais lazy. Not many fat ladies 15 years ago. Now they are all over. In my village some use their leccy bike to go to the shops just 40 metres away. And come back with a large cola. Then sit down with the 'tippy tappy' and drink it.

You need to get more, as I see 1 or 3 everyday, and I'm in uncongested PKK province (not Hua Hin), Amphur Muang. 

Mostly ZSs & GWMs during my short drives to the park/surf everyday.  Not much road time, and surprised I see them at all.  Rarely see the hi-end EVs.

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, but the new-blip states 17k+ taking advantage of the govt incentives, means ordered since incentives available.  That's a lot of EVs, in less than 6 months.

Not really.  Considering there were nearly half a million car sales in that same six month period, then 17k is a tiny fraction and seems about right.

And for people living in BKK who say they never see them (impossible), do you even know what they look like?  Genuine question, would you know a fully electric MG or XV40 over a regular one?

Edited by josephbloggs
Typo

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You need to get more, as I see 1 or 3 everyday, and I'm in uncongested PKK province (not Hua Hin), Amphur Muang. 

Mostly ZSs & GWMs during my short drives to the park/surf everyday.  Not much road time, and surprised I see them at all.  Rarely see the hi-end EVs.

I don't really want to get out more. But when I go to Udon Thani next month I'll look out for the leccy cars. Are they easy to spot?

ZSs & GWMs??? TBH I don't know what you are talking about.

In my village of 200 dwellings, there are only 12 or so pick-ups, and three tractors. Most are old. Not a lot of money up here to indulge in new stuff. Most families are in hock to the bank for a few hundred thousand baht. Poverty is the norm here.

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I don't really want to get out more. But when I go to Udon Thani next month I'll look out for the leccy cars. Are they easy to spot?

ZSs & GWMs??? TBH I don't know what you are talking about.

In my village of 200 dwellings, there are only 12 or so pick-ups, and three tractors. Most are old. Not a lot of money up here to indulge in new stuff. Most families are in hock to the bank for a few hundred thousand baht. Poverty is the norm here.

So when I said there are loads around in Bangkok, why even comment that you have never seen one when you live in the sticks in a village of 12 pickups and three tractors??  Of course you haven't seen one!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Was up there last month, and quite surprised how many Ora Good Cats I noticed, and not the same one ????  Same with noticing them on hwy #2, near the metros on the way up & back; Korat, Khon Kaen.

Very easy to spot, OGC & MG ZS's new front end.   Not many ZSs.  Hybrids you see more of, and if not familiar, you won't notice, unless behind them.  Saw Haval H6 this morning.  That's a nice looking ride ride.

GWMs OGC easy to spot, unique shape and running light is around the headlights.

image.png.6b996733d8194f8d2e9692a9cf028670.png

New MG ZS EV is another easy to spot, as no contrast (ugly) front 'grill', or lack of.

image.png.953fe9345af2fecb5fb472c1db45304d.png

Only other non hi-end ALL EV you might see is the MG EP, nothing standing out to notice if not familiar.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Was up there last month, and quite surprised how many Ora Good Cats I noticed, and not the same one ????  Same with noticing them on hwy #2, near the metros on the way up & back; Korat, Khon Kaen.

Very easy to spot, OGC & MG ZS's new front end.   Not many ZSs.  Hybrids you see more of, and if not familiar, you won't notice, unless behind them.  Saw Haval H6 this morning.  That's a nice looking ride ride.

GWMs OGC easy to spot, unique shape and running light is around the headlights.

image.png.6b996733d8194f8d2e9692a9cf028670.png

New MG ZS EV is another easy to spot, as no contrast (ugly) front 'grill', or lack of.

image.png.953fe9345af2fecb5fb472c1db45304d.png

Only other non hi-end ALL EV you might see is the MG EP, nothing standing out to notice if not familiar.

I am informed KhunLA. Thanks for that post.

I'll keep a look out when I go to Udon and take note. If I see any - which I surely will - I'll keep a tally and post back on this thread. But just noticed that I'll be going on about 16th of October, so earlier than I thought.

• Like 1