Mango Tree

You may get much better responses in the Farming section.

A view pictures and a bit more descriptions would help too. Are the leaves dry, when they fall off? Is there insect shit under the tree? Are the leaves whole or is are there marks of insect eatings? How long ago did you plant thsi tree (if recently). Are there other Mango trees nearby who have the same problem - or not. Any such informations may help. But pictures would be best.

Regards

Thedi

Just having exactly the same problem I think, looked at tree this morning, new leaves, many of them appear to have been cut across. this has happened within last 2 or 3 days. Will try and get an opinion from locals. A few small insects around, but nothing that looks that evil!

I'll see if I can attach a pic, first time doing this, so apologies in advance if it all goes wrong. You'll notice a leaf still partially attached. This is only happening on the new (brown) leaves, trees have been in situ for about 18 months, planted young. Never had any problems before.

post-18438-1182918392_thumb.jpg

Edited by patrickq

Apparently this is done by a small flying insect, black or green colour, has small hard wings. It comes and goes, doesn't live on the tree and likes the new leaves. It can be sprayed for, but don't know what with, suggest you take a few leaves to the hardware/garden suppliers and see what they suggest. I'm hoping to find a more organic approach, even though there is no fruit yet I don't particularly want to use chemicals.

I had the same problem in April. Bugs were eating all new leaves of several of my trees (Dtin Pet, not Mango). They do not eat the whole leaves, but eat part of it, until it falls off. In the morning the ground is covered with half eaten leaves and shit from this bugs. They came at night and were gone in the morning.

They came only one or two nights. So if you see the damage and spray chemicals then, it may be too late.

In my case, the trees recovered without problem.

The bug is similar to the attached picture. The picture is from wikipedia and shows a bug which lives in Europe. My wife and our daughter like the Thai version of this bug (fried). Also birds and chicken like them very much. They are hardly seen at day time - probably because they are so tasty :o

Regards

Thedi

post-17572-1182925667.jpeg

Edited by thedi