Rental Deposit

For owners of individual unit / homes - I think they can ask whatever they want, basically, whatever the market will tolerate. 

IF an owner has more than 5 units, they are considered a business and by law can only charge 1 month deposit and government rate for electricity - that matters little though, they still charge what they want. 

In most cases owners will try and charge 2 months deposit, and of course the rent is paid at the beginning of the month.

Some people managed to get away with only paying 1 months rent. 

As a previous owner charing 30,000 baht rent, I’m glad a received two months deposit. 

The renters caused damage greater than 1 months rent.

I think two months rent is fair, but the issue of course is that some owners are dishonest cheats and will refuse to return a deposit even if there is no damage at all. That said, I’ve always had my rent returned when renting previous properties. 

Many people use the deposit as a last month or two's payment. However, if there is damage it causes an issue. Before I bought my current condo and then house I paid two months deposit. When I moved out I did not pay my final month's rent, but did pay my power and water bill. My other half of the deposit was used by the owner to have the condo cleaned and new paint added. She sent me the receipts and a refund of the remaining funds which was nice.

Edited by ThailandRyan