PM wades through the floods: Call for PM "until death do us part"

webfact

Cover-Template-1100x620-New-23-768x433.jpg

Daily News Thai Caption: Wading through the floods

Thai media Daily News reported from Warinchamrap district of Ubon Ratchathani in the NE of Thailand when PM Prayuth Chan-ocha and his large entourage visited flood victims. 

The PM - recently reinstalled in the PM hotseat following a court decision - was perched high up in a Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation vehicle. 

S__7454915.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Some people were not happy to see the PM. Their three finger salutes - a sign of protest from The Hunger Games - were accompanied by negative statements about causing locals trouble. 

The police told them to stop.

Prayuth waded through the flood waters dispensing platitudes.

S__7454913.jpg

He said that some things were meant to be and advised locals to put their valuables higher next time.

He said that his government cared about the strife of the people and were spending billions on flood prevention measures.

This was his sixth visit to Ubon. 

One old lady said that she hoped Prayuth would be PM until he dies.

S__7454923.jpg

"That long", quipped the upbeat PM. 

Prayuth - revelling in the attention again after the court decision on his tenure - even did a spot of hair cutting that people said was very auspicious.

Then he bought some pork balls on a stick for the police making further jokes about the election law.

S__7454928.jpg

ASEAN NOW notes that the whole tone of the press coverage was sycophantic.

It appeared that the press corps were glad that their "Uncle Too" was back in charge affording him coverage previously only reserved for figures of an even greater social standing. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-10-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that some things were meant to be and advised locals to put their valuables higher next time.

I have some choice words of wisdom for him too..

unfortunately if I share them I'll probably get a suspension.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayuth waded through the flood waters dispensing platitudes.

Were the platitudes particularly delicious ones?

The problem with all the flood mitigation (I won't say "prevention") schemes is that thare's no really integrated plan. The piecemeal implementation of "fix the tall tree areas first" (tall-tree = richest) just moves the flooding to the next vulnerable area.

Here in northern BKK it's the worst it's been since 2011 but "this year isn't as bad as last time". Hmmm, I wonder what's caused that?