Los Startup Budget

joinme2leave

non-tourist poll...and as anonymus as possible  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

no need to talk about how well you are doing NOWADAYS,

a poll, just to get a slight overwiew about HOW much money you've got available to start your new life in Los.

neverthess feel free to further comment, i.e.

* had a budget to start but went back "home" frequently to earn some more cash

* my company has offered me a job in Los...that's why I could afford to stay

or other circumstances...

2.5 million Baht might be OK if you continue to work in LOS, but I would think that there are a lot of farangs that move to LOS to retire.

In that case, you will need somewhere between 5 and 10 times that amount to sustain a reasonable survival here without the worry of running out of your nest egg before you croak it.

The poll is unreasonable. Maybe do away with 10,000 baht and Start at 100,000. I mean, it is pretty easy to 10,000 in a week, talk about a lifetime.

You'd be better off multiplying the whole poll by 10

Just imagine the rental of the flat with 2 months deposit. then the furniture comes in. The car, the bike, the woman (headache), cell phone bills, beers and food...... need I say more?

I would say 500,000 baht, but you got to be quick in setting up a good money business before the money runs out. :o

as about the comments so far .... OK, pls accept it's been my "first one"...and surely forgot to mention: yes, it is not a poll for those who intend to retire but instead for those ppl having left their past behind to start new life in Los whilst also working...sorry for that. will improve next time :o

nevertheless again, pls continue voting....

Just imagine the rental of the flat with 2 months deposit. then the furniture comes in. The car, the bike, the woman (headache), cell phone bills, beers and food...... need I say more?

Are most expats starting up a NEW life, or trying to recreate/continue their old life but with sunshine and pretty women?

I'm starting up a new life but with minimal furniture, no car or bike, or cell phone. I have no desire to recreate my previous material standards.

So as a raw poll the question I think is pretty meaningless - first you have to ascertain what standard of living/quality of life people expect or require.

Are most expats starting up a NEW life, or trying to recreate/continue their old life but with sunshine and pretty women?

I'm starting up a new life but with minimal furniture, no car or bike, or cell phone. I have no desire to recreate my previous material standards.

So as a raw poll the question I think is pretty meaningless - first you have to ascertain what standard of living/quality of life people expect or require.

agree. me, starting NEW life not at all continuing my old.

Stepping down the ladder of luxury quite significantly.

Nevertheless, a bit of money to 'start' is inevitable.

(sure, having a trustworthy, good looking life-time-partner aside me is that little bit of 'extra' I highly appreciate in my new life...)

Catching asides from many Thaivisa posters I see that some have properties in farangland from which they get rent and the capital on them must be very sweet - certainly in UK property values have been zooming into the stratosphere for some time now.

Others have pension schemes putting a tidy sum in their bank account every month. Others sold off their investments and have a veritable fortune sitting in their bank accounts.

Me - I had no property, no pension, gave away all my possessions and have only a small amount of savings as a safety net. For me, minimal money if no problem as I don't have material aspirations. However I am still looking for that life-time partner who shares my values - gotta be careful!

I came with nothing, got a job in tourism from a EU company that sent me here for 9 months, lodging and food included. Since last week though it has been 9 years; got promoted, started on my own.

In EU 9 yrs ago I made about 1000 EU a month so I never saved anything.

That has changed.

I came with nothing, got a job in tourism from a EU company that sent me here for 9 months, lodging and food included. Since last week though it has been 9 years; got promoted, started on my own.

In EU 9 yrs ago I made about 1000 EU a month so I never saved anything.

That has changed.

:o Congratulations.

Me - I had no property, no pension, gave away all my possessions and have only a small amount of savings as a safety net. For me, minimal money if no problem as I don't have material aspirations. However I am still looking for that life-time partner who shares my values - gotta be careful!

The best of luck! :o

:D

Having read the initial posting I would advise you putting off your visit to LOS as you obviously have not thought this through.

Sounds like you will be living like a Thai, best of luck.

To have a comfortable life you will need 50-60,000 baht a month.

QUOTE (andyinkat @ Sun 2004-07-04, 17:39:45)

The best of luck!

Also best of luck.

:o

Having read the initial posting I would advise you putting off your visit to LOS as you obviously have not thought this through.

Sounds like you will be living like a Thai, best of luck.

To have a comfortable life you will need 50-60,000 baht a month.

:o

me, beeing the original poster: did I mention anything about I shall live as a thai? furthermore, did i forward info about my personal start up budget?

i doubt.... :D

To have a comfortable life you will need 50-60,000 baht a month

"For me, minimal money if no problem as I don't have material aspirations."

I would add that when you would want a visa you would also need 50-60,000 baht a month.

If minimal money is no problem for you could you please explain to the board how you get a visa?

All I have in Thailand is what I have earned here, my goal has always been not to use overseas funds as an unsustainable existence is not something that I will ever seek. My initial capital was less than 100.000 baht but I've done pretty well, how well is debatable but I'm not going into details here..

The poll is unreasonable. Maybe do away with 10,000 baht and Start at 100,000. I mean, it is pretty easy to 10,000 in a week, talk about a lifetime.

You'd be better off multiplying the whole poll by 10

The current results show 70% in the top bracket. Pity we can't restart the poll with these values: