Air Asia itinerary - Chiang Mai to Da Nang Vietnam

howlee101

Posting to provide information to those who may not know (obviously I didn't).  This post is not a complaint against Air Asia as my trip actually went quiet well.

I have previously booked flights on the same itinerary (multiple carriers) from Chiang Mai to the US and US to Chiang Mai.  I just recently booked a flight from Chiang Mai to Da Nang Vietnam on the Air Asia website on, what I thought, was the same itinerary (CNX to BKK on Air Asia and BKK to DAD on VietJet).  Unfortunately, I was informed at the Air Asia check in counter at Chiang Mai that I would have to get my luggage at BKK, go to the Viet Jet departure counter to recheck my luggage and get my boarding pass, go through immigrations, then board my flight.  Fortunately, my layover allowed me to easily make the transition, and luckily it wasn't busy.

On my return flight, I flew Air Asia from Da Nang to Don Mueang (DMK) then DMK to CNX.  But was told again I would have to process immigration at DMK, get my luggage and check in with Air Asia to get a boarding pass.  Again, I had enough layover time and it wasn't busy.  A few pros/cons:

- My itinerary, nor the booking process, indicated my flight was on separate legs

- The Air Asia lady at Chiang Mai was very understanding and gave my wife and I the "hot seat" (seat in the front) and put an expedite tag on our luggage.

- At BKK, the Viet Jet ticket agent allowed us to check two bags even though I only paid extra for one "checked" bag.

Again, just passing on some information for travelers to be aware of.  Just because you book with Air Asia, doesn't mean the flight segments are on the same itinerary.  All worked out fine and we really enjoyed our short vacation to Da Nang.  OBTW, Sun World at Ba Na Hills is highly recommended as a day tour.

2 minutes ago, howlee101 said:

I didn't see any option for a direct flight (on my dates of travel).  I would have paid extra for the convenience.

I guess COVID stopped the 1,000bht flights direct to Da Nang ..... that's a great pity.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, howlee101 said:

FYI, my flight for the wife and I, with 15kg of checked luggage both ways, was $473 USD.

FYI, I was paying between 2,000bht and 2,500bht for a direct return flight to Hanoi/Da Nang/Saigon in 2019/2020. As a Brit no VISA required, I used to go there for the weekend.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1