Big Business....small Shop

My Tilac is setting up a small shop (nothing major) in Bangkok (Huay Kwang), and i was wondering if anyone new of any good (cheap) wholesalers.

It's just the genetal sort of mini mart stuff she's after purchasing.

Any advice (especially from anyone with a shop) would be much appreciated.

Any ideas on general proft margin would be handy also, she's not looking to become Tacksin overnight but i just want to ensure she'll make money ok, and not lose out.

It's one of them small shops below an apartment block which is quite full, rent about 5k / month.

Thanks ......

She could start her business by shopping at Makro. Better go at the opening in the morning. It's OK at the beginning but shopping there once a week is tiring when you have to carry dozens of boxes...

If her place is not too isolated, wholesalers will find her! They'll stop with their vans (water, snacks, rice, cigarettes, alcohol, spicy sausages... almost anything...). After a while she should be able to fill her shop only with these guys. If you are near a large fresh market, ask around, you'll find wholesalers able to deliver.

Only 10% on most of the stock...

15 to 30% on stationary. Kids always buy colorful pens, books... Good stuff at Makro.

Usually 10% on shampoos, soaps and other cosmetics; can go to 20% if she can find a wholesaler in Chinatown (they usually have a route and deliver once a week, I do not have their phone number anymore but you'll find them around the toys wholesalers in Chinatown).

50 to 100% on toys from Chinatown. Go there 3 or 4 times a year. Kids buy themselves most of the time from 15 to 200 Baht. Robots, small cars, dolls, balls...

20% on pharmacy (Makro or wholesaler in Chinatown); headaches, stomachaches, birth control pills, ointments...

WALLS ice cream, coca cola, bread Farmhouse, etc... call them...

Keep the place clean and well organized with an eye on small and expensive stuff. Put the fridge as far as possible from the door or people will never go around the store...

She could start her business by shopping at Makro. Better go at the opening in the morning. It's OK at the beginning but shopping there once a week is tiring when you have to carry dozens of boxes...

If her place is not too isolated, wholesalers will find her! They'll stop with their vans (water, snacks, rice, cigarettes, alcohol, spicy sausages... almost anything...). After a while she should be able to fill her shop only with these guys. If you are near a large fresh market, ask around, you'll find wholesalers able to deliver.

Only 10% on most of the stock...

15 to 30% on stationary. Kids always buy colorful pens, books... Good stuff at Makro.

Usually 10% on shampoos, soaps and other cosmetics; can go to 20% if she can find a wholesaler in Chinatown (they usually have a route and deliver once a week, I do not have their phone number anymore but you'll find them around the toys wholesalers in Chinatown).

50 to 100% on toys from Chinatown. Go there 3 or 4 times a year. Kids buy themselves most of the time from 15 to 200 Baht. Robots, small cars, dolls, balls...

20% on pharmacy (Makro or wholesaler in Chinatown); headaches, stomachaches, birth control pills, ointments...

WALLS ice cream, coca cola, bread Farmhouse, etc... call them...

Keep the place clean and well organized with an eye on small and expensive stuff. Put the fridge as far as possible from the door or people will never go around the store...

It does sound as though you had a hand in running a mini convenience store before. :o

I would have thought that one would line up there suppliers FIRST and then rent the shop unit!!!

It doesn't really work that way... Companies like Wall's or Nestlé, etc, look at your place before deciding if it's worth it for them to place their products, then it takes 2-3 days to get the first delivery.

Other wholesalers (rice, liquor, soups, etc...) are easy to find if you follow my advice. Many of them have shophouses close to large fresh markets and deliver; a few questions around the market and you get the answers.

• 1 month later...