US Passport renewal by mail w/active retirement visa

My passport expires in Aug. 2023. I have a Non O retirement visa that expires on Jan. 1, 2023. 

I need to renew my passport by mail with the US Embassy. When they receive, renew and send

me back my passport, what happens to my active retirement visa? do they move it into the

new passport, or do I need to go to immigration after receiving the new passport? (and is there a fee?)

My personal experience was that I took my passports and letter from the embassy / consulate up to CW. I was also in O visa section (Family). The wait was about 75 minutes. Once I was in front of the IO she did me solid. My extension was transferred in about 15 minutes. I then went to a person on the backside who always checks the work. Done.

See you have all the proper copies of everything you might think you'll need. Full old ppt, current stamps, cards, etc

10 hours ago, bangkokgalaxy said:

or do I need to go to immigration after receiving the new passport? (and is there a fee?)

As others have pointed out.

You go to immigration to have stamps and visa info transfered.

There is no fee.

You can  wait till the day you are applying for extension and have it done same visit.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, rwill said:

Mine was expiring next year too and I just got the new one so I can get a full year when I go in January for the next extension.

It took a couple of weeks to get back after sending it.  They return your new passport, the old passport(punched), and a letter for immigration to transfer the stamps to the new passport.

You have to go to immigration with all 3 to get the stamps transfered over to the new passport.  Plus the next 90 day report will have to be done in offce or by mail.  The online will not work the first time because of the new passport number.

In Chiang Mai I was told that, after transferring retirement visa stamps to new passport, I could go around the corner to the 90-day drive-thru window to do that operation and have my new passport number recorded. Just this week I tried doing the 90-day report online, and it was rejected. So having sent a new report by EMS, I am waiting for the receipt from Immigration, but the 4-day holiday is delaying a response.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

As others have pointed out.

You go to immigration to have stamps and visa info transfered.

There is no fee.

You can  wait till the day you are applying for extension and have it done same visit.

What if you need to do a 90-day report (by mail or online) before the annual extension? Would you use the number of the canceled passport, or the new passport not yet entered into their system??? Seems problematical.

Don't understand the rush to transfer stamps. Personally, I avoid any interaction with immigration if at all possible. Your Thai stamps are still valid even though the old passport is invalid. This includes your REP. If you take a trip abroad, just remember to take both passports.

You can get the stamps transferred when you go in for your annual extension.

Also, you don't have to go to CW. You can get your stamps transferred at the airport before your departure or after your return - at no cost to you.

On 10/14/2022 at 9:21 AM, bangkokgalaxy said:

what happens to my active retirement visa? do they move it into the

Who are they? How can US embassy move a permission to stay stamp, issued by a foreign government, to a new passport? Common sense and common sense. Oops forgot that 80% of forum members lack complete common sense as evidenced from their questions in this forum.

17 minutes ago, 10years said:

Yes, happened to me. IIRC, I didn't even ask for it. They did it to make it easier and faster for them and me to pass through passport control.

What is surprising is that of course this is a very common thing that needs to be done.

So many threads re going to immigration to have the stamps and visa information transferred.

I find it amazing that more folk don't have it done at the airport. 

BTW which airport transferred the stamps etc.

I traveled for 6 months out/in Thailand every month with both passports and that option was never even hinted at. 

Edited by DrJack54