Power of Attorney for Daughter in USA

kokesaat

We are planning for our daughter to do a real estate transaction for us and need to figure out the mechanics of obtaining a power of attorney that would allow her to act on our behalf.

- Do I have to obtain the POA here, probably through the US Embassy (American Citizen Services)?

- Is there a way to do the POA electronically/digitally signed?

- If I need to do the POA through the embassy, can I walk into ACS or do I need an appointment?

I looked into this a year ago and came to the conclusion that the only way to have a document notarized that would be accepted in the US without question and without leaving Thailand was to have the PoA notarized by the ACS, which is what I did.

As far as I know, It is not possible to enter the US Embassy/ACS compound in Bangkok without an appointment.

Real estate transaction varies by state. I had one done last month for Louisiana, required 2 hard copies POA. Lawyer E-mailed POA, I printed 2 copies. POA  notarized by the ACS with 2 witness as required by Louisiana. Also ACS website stated you and 2 witness need appointment. Fedex to USA. Some states may have  online options now. Other docs for contract and misc docs was able to sign online. Also POA for Louisiana required both copies have notary stamp so pay for 2. 

13 hours ago, 2k6 said:

Real estate transaction varies by state. I had one done last month for Louisiana, required 2 hard copies POA. Lawyer E-mailed POA, I printed 2 copies. POA  notarized by the ACS with 2 witness as required by Louisiana. Also ACS website stated you and 2 witness need appointment. Fedex to USA. Some states may have  online options now. Other docs for contract and misc docs was able to sign online. Also POA for Louisiana required both copies have notary stamp so pay for 2. 

Thanks for the insight..  ACS has very limited appointments, especially if within the next few weeks.  I'm hoping Texas won't require witnesses. 

Thank god for tech.  Our daughter reports that the closing will be done via Zoom, so no POA necessary.  I suppose it's similar to my recent experience obtaining an ID.me account.....after applying, I had a zoom call to verify my US drivers license and passport photos/info.  

FWIW.......the embassy had only early morning appointments available......that meant we'd have to fly up night before.  

Today my wife and I digitally signed the contract for the house......again, something we could not have done from Thailand not so many years ago.