Magnetic steel flat bars for indoor use?

OneMoreFarang

I like to put metal strips on the top of my indoor walls. I want to be able to attach magnets to those strips.

I thought about using stainless steel because it does not corrode. But then I found out that most stainless steel is not magnetic - not good for me.

430 stainless steel is magnetic but until now I didn't find a supplier for that.

I am looking for steel flat bars (strips?) which are maybe 2mm thick and 20mm wide. 2m length would be perfect but more or less is not a problem.

I will drill holes in those strips to be able to screw them on the walls.

What material is best to be magnetic and which does not corrode?

Galvanized steel? Just paint steel and paint it? What are the options?

This is just a picture for demonstration purpose.

steel-strip.jpg

I would just use simple mild steel strip from your local steel chap. It comes in 6m lengths but most places will cut it for you.

Drill your holes then clean and degrease before prime and paint or, as above, get it powder coated.

Unless it's out in the weather corrosion won't be an issue.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BostonJoe said:

If you do decide to use raw steel I would recommend drilling all you holes first then send the pieces out to be powder coated 

Thanks

Now, with my very limited experience in things like that, I have to ask: Where would I get those things powder coated? And would that cost (roughly)? 

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Where would I get those things powder coated?

Depends where you are.

Does your metal picture frame rail have to look really beautiful? There maybe some galvanised angle used for suspended ceilings if you wander around Global or Thaiwatsadu etc.

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Depends where you are.

Does your metal picture frame rail have to look really beautiful? There maybe some galvanised angle used for suspended ceilings if you wander around Global or Thaiwatsadu etc.

Thanks. It doesn't have to be beautiful because it won't be visible (after I attach things with the magnets). I just want to make sure it doesn't corrode.

I am in the middle of Bangkok, I will check those places for galvanized steel.

54 minutes ago, BostonJoe said:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063528103599

As for price I don't  know in Thailand only had stuff done in America 

KTB also have a shop here in Pattaya and are well priced.

I had a set of 22" car wheels shot blast and powdercoated and it was Bt.400 a wheel.

To the OP.... make sure who ever you choose (if you do powdercoat) their oven can take something 2m long... some cannot.

• Like 2