"respectable" Thai traditional massage place for a cultured American lady ?

orang37

By respectable, I mean not a place where men go for ... uhhh ... financial liposuction, and other "extras."

A quiet, clean, not crowded, place ? Where a weary traveler can recover from 30 hours of international travel ?

And, I mean "nuwat boran" massage, as taught in the famous school in Wat Pho, and its branches.

To complicate: while there are lots of hi-so spas for women here, they are very pricy ... is there such a thing as a spa with traditional massage and some other relaxing procedures ... for under 1000 baht for a package ?

An obvious choice is the Traditional medicine clinic/school on Thippanet Road: is that still open ?

I appreciate your suggestions !

~o:37;

Most good hotels have a legitimate massage shop somewhere on the premises.

There are usually small, legitimate massage shops in most Thai neighborhoods, staffed by older women and sometimes blind masseurs'.  Usually close to a marketplace or in a shopping area like a BigC concourse.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, hansombeast said:

Location of where might help with suggestions

East of the Ping is recognizable to anyone who knows Chiang Mai; however, you do have a point.

I would suggest anywhere with ground floor massage, clean linen and curtains would be suitable. IMO Thai women aren't going to be propositioning farang women to have extras, chuk wow is for men.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

East of the Ping is recognizable to anyone who knows Chiang Mai; however, you do have a point.

I would suggest anywhere with ground floor massage, clean linen and curtains would be suitable. IMO Thai women aren't going to be propositioning farang women to have extras, chuk wow is for men.

OP is male.

• Haha 1

Thanks, Anywhere on Loy Kroh from the moat to the Duangtawan is ... out.

I am hoping to hear about the personal experiences of your visiting wives, sisters, female relatives.

cheers, ~o:37;

I can recommend you newly opened Kunlarat massage near Shangri La Hotel

Google maps 18.77823107479257, 99.00324968703656

they provide really professional massage, brand new rooms and furniture after renovation, and air conditioning. I recommend it as i already tried a lot of different massage shops in CM but this one is by far the best.

spacer.png

Edited by blanes2007
addition
  • Like 1

the menu from Kunlarat.massage Facebook page

but

these are the typical current prices for massage in Chiang Mai, you shouldn't pay more anywhere

spacer.png

Edited by blanes2007
misspelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

But I'm wondering where 'cultured' fits into the situation.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

But I'm wondering where 'cultured' fits into the situation.

"Cultured" in this case means an educated, intelligent, modern, feminist, woman, I care for.

I do not want to expose  her to the possible locations of the pathetic losers who turn every thread on this forum into a troll involving prostitution.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've gone to the spa at Le Meridien Hotel, but that may be outside the desired price range.  The main reason is that they have a lady who gives a real reflexology foot massage, or at least they did before Covid.  I could actually feel the improvement in my neck and shoulders, fragile areas where I don't want a direct hands-on massage.  Other so-called reflexology foot massages are just glorified foot massages, in my experience.

It might be nice for your lady-friend to splurge on an upscale massage package at one of the nice hotels or Oasis Massage.  Truly better than something that's less than 400 baht/hour.  It's not just the massage, but the entire experience.

Warning though -- I once treated an older friend to a couples massage at Le Meridien on Mother's Day and she slept through most of the experience.  I found her snoring most annoying.  If your friend is likely to fall asleep because she's so relaxed, then maybe something that's 300 baht/hour is OK. ????

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2022 at 1:08 AM, orang37 said:

To complicate: while there are lots of hi-so spas for women here, they are very pricy ... is there such a thing as a spa with traditional massage and some other relaxing procedures ... for under 1000 baht for a package ?

Many condos and hotels do have massages (no sex massage) for 200-300 baht/hour. Less than 200 is now hard to find after Covid-19. My GF's favorite massage on Thepprasit Road has increased their rate (180 to 220) compared to Covid-19 prices. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 1