Air passengers advised to allow more time for their travel to airports

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2022-11-15T180850.432.png

Passengers intending to take domestic or international flights out of Bangkok are being advised to allow 3 hours before boarding time for travel to Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang airports.

The advice was separately issued by Thai Airways International, Thai Smile, Thai Air Asia, Thai Air Asia X, Nok Air and Thai Lion Air.

The advice applies from today (Tuesday) until November 20th, one day after the end of the APEC Summit in Bangkok.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/air-passengers-advised-to-allow-more-time-for-their-travel-to-airports/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-11-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Utterly ridiculous... 

In the UK I was there 3 hours before departure and was going to miss my flight due to the 1hr check in queue and ❤️ hrs security queue...   horrific (summer)...   

In Thailand, in the mids of horrific weather I left home 3.3 hrs early, expecting a very slow journey the airport, I was through Immigration with 2.45 hrs to wait !!!! 

Last week I arrived at the airport (planned) 2 hrs before departure and was thought Immigration with 1.45 mins to spare.

Arriving 3 hours...  I don’t think thats necessary at all...  departing Thailand I’ve always found 2 hours more than enough time... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

What about the airport train?

I don't think that trains would be affected by road traffic jams but if lots of people are going to be arriving late , I would still get to the airport early if going by train .

I always aim to get to airports at least  three hours before departure anyway

30 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

People were advised to leave for the airport earlier because of expected road traffic jams in BKK this week and it will take longer to get to the airport 

My bad - doing two things at once and completely miss-read the Op and somehow understood the advice thinking it was for ‘After the APEC summit’....   !!!!... 

Edited by richard_smith237

44 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Utterly ridiculous... 

In the UK I was there 3 hours before departure and was going to miss my flight due to the 1hr check in queue and ❤️ hrs security queue...   horrific (summer)...   

In Thailand, in the mids of horrific weather I left home 3.3 hrs early, expecting a very slow journey the airport, I was through Immigration with 2.45 hrs to wait !!!! 

Last week I arrived at the airport (planned) 2 hrs before departure and was thought Immigration with 1.45 mins to spare.

Arriving 3 hours...  I don’t think thats necessary at all...  departing Thailand I’ve always found 2 hours more than enough time... 

It wasn't enough time for me I arrived 3.5 hours before departure missed my flight and had to book a hotel for 2 days and rebook my flight

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

3 hours is recommended normally by travel agents.

They’re just covering their backsides (as is everyone else), just incase something goes wrong, then they can’t be blamed - IMO - 3 hours is extremely excessive. 

30 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Sitting at home is no value. Sit in airport drink coffee, watch youtube, post here.

Better safe than sorry.

With the amount I travel, that would be an extra 18 hours per year hanging around airport !!!...  

And a lot of the time thats an extra hour with my family before I head off etc.... sometimes means seeing my son for an hour after he gets home from school before I have to head off etc... 

I’ve not missed a flight yet - but the one I nearly did miss I was there 3 hrs early for anyway !!!

With the APEC thing though - the advice is sensible. 

As was the advice to depart earlier a couple of months ago during extremely heavy rain.

At quite periods I actually time it so that I get through immigration with about an hour to spare (and can usually time it better with priority check-in and fast track immigration etc). 

37 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Sitting at home is no value. Sit in airport drink coffee, watch youtube, post here.

Yeah... I usually end up sitting at the airport for over an hour anyway...  so 2 hours is easily enough ‘usually’ (when flying around Asia)... 

UK is somehow different with the utter jobs-worths at security and amateur travellers trying to carry everything onto their flight to get their cheap ‘no baggage flights’... 

The issues in the UK and Thailand are different. 

In the UK the traffic is reliable, the Airport queues wholly unreliable. 

In Thailand the traffic is unreliable and the airport queues reliable (except arriving immigration at times).

5 minutes ago, still kicking said:
53 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Utterly ridiculous... 

Expand  

It wasn't enough time for me I arrived 3.5 hours before departure missed my flight and had to book a hotel for 2 days and rebook my flight

I wouldn’t have been enough for me either....  I waited in the massive security queue (easily 1000 people in it snaking all the way through the airport, I’ve never seen anything like it) - about 1 hour before my flight was called the came through the queue asking for passengers on that flight, we were then fast tracked - I made the flight. 

Obviously the ’necessity for travel’ and bookings on the other side etc mades the difference on time priority. 

If travelling for work etc there is only one booking (hotel) on the other side which is easily changed. 

If travelling with family for a holiday etc and bookings, transport, plans etc are locked in, its different and I’d give more consideration to traffic etc.

If travelling for work or holiday over the APEC period - Yes, I’d allow more time as I did in heavy weather.  

13 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don't think that trains would be affected by road traffic jams but if lots of people are going to be arriving late , I would still get to the airport early if going by train .

I always aim to get to airports at least  three hours before departure anyway

Wonder if airport trains packed or not. Never used them.