Aranyaprathet Visa Update

Hi

this relates to a previous post but this is probably a better title.

I needed to get a 30-day tourist visa, or even just a 7-day extension. Anyway, advice here was that Aran was no longer issuing 30-day visas on arrival. I phoned the Immigration Office in Aran and they confirmed that no 30-day visas are being issued and that I had to go to the Office to get a 7-day extension. This was all because my flight departure date was 3 days after my last stamp, but the flight was booked when the 30-day visas were still being issued, so I thought would be OK. The lady I spoke to said to go this Thursday because Fridays are always very busy. However, she forgot that on this particular Thurs the King's daughter was making an official visit to Aran and the road to the Imm Off was closed. As I was already in Aran border I was getting already bored and fed up with the situation.

Well...as usual, was offered to do the visa run at the border by friendly locals. At this point, I thought, what the hel_l!! They assured me that a 30-day stamp could be done. The passport control going out of Thailand had numerous posters saying that 'visas on arrival', 30-day visas, were no longer being issued until they had sorted out their 'computer systems'. This was kinda worrying. Anyway, I carried on. The sweetener in no-mans-land was a bit sweeter than usual, but just wanted to see what would happen. Well... at passport control re-entering Thailand there were none of the posters saying 'no visa on arrival', and I got stamped in on a 30-day visa!!!! The one thing they do check is that one has a booked transportation out of the country - I saw this with others in the queue but they didn't even check mine. Apart from that, the 30-day visa on arrival seems to be alive and kicking! or was it the sweeteners?

TIT

rych

As usual people are confused about the terms used!

Most nationals from Western countries fall under the "30 day visa exempt" rule. This simply means they do not need a visa to enter Thailand when staying 30 days or less, nor will they be given one at the border.

They will simply get a "permitted to stay till" stamp issued by the immigration border checkpoint.

Then there are other countries whose nationals cannot enter Thialand without a visa, but they are entitled to get one when entering. This is the "visa on arrival".

Russia, China, India are countries whose Nationals have to line up to get a "visa on arrival" before they can get their "permitted to stay until" stamp!

It's the last category who will not be able to reenter at Aranyaphratet, since they will not be able to get their required "visa on arrival"...

The sweetener in no-mans-land was a bit sweeter than usual, but just wanted to see what would happen... Apart from that, the 30-day visa on arrival seems to be alive and kicking! or was it the sweeteners?

What are we talking about here? Bribes? If so what was the damage?

Hi

thanks monty for the clarification, altho the other Aran thread was also talking about the 30 day visa exempt rule and seems to have scared many people. Also, Imm Off verified the story so as usual unclear what's going on. My one year visa had run out so the stamp was for the 30-day exempt.

btw the title did not refer to the Aran thread but to my earlier post regarding overstay.

looking at my passport the actual stamp is the same as ever, they just scribble something in the Visaclass field.

so just as a conclusion, the traditional visa run for most westerners still seems available at Aran.

rych