What Thailand YouTubers Are You Watching (2023)

NotReallyHere

I'm following the "What Books Are You Reading" question post format, but changing the media type.

Granted, I'm starting this post in 2022, but I think it's close enough to 2023 that calling it (2022) would make it obsolete too quickly.

Suggestions, recommendations are welcome!

I'm bored with the usual Thailand YouTube fare.  Same old topics, ad nauseum.  Often the YouTuber is not that familiar with Thailand, but is hoping to make a few bucks online while living in the LOS.  I'm not interested in tourism focused videos.  More interested in videos about people living here, sharing their daily experiences and insight.

At the moment two of my favorites are:

The "steve rosse" channel.  Steve is a single, 65 year old, retired American living in small beach town north of Phuket.  He's been coming to Thailand since the 80's.  He speaks the language fairly well, (can even sing Thai drama theme songs) which to me demonstrates his seriousness about being here and learning about the culture.  Steve used to write a column about Phuket for The Nation in the 1990s.  Not the usual Thailand tourism/budget advice/street food experiences most channels offer.

The "Toon & Leigh porpeang farm Thailand" channel.  Leigh and his wife show us the daily life on the farm.  Toon speaks English well.  Lots of goats, fish and snakes.  An alternative to the usual Bangkok/Pattaya focused content.

Curious to hear your recommendations.  Trying to circumvent the YouTube algorithm and find some content that is good, but not necessarily popular.

Edited by NotReallyHere
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Thailand content I seem to watch mostly is news summaries. Fabulous 103 FM, The Pattaya News, Phuket Xtra and The Thaiger daily news but don't like their morning show.  I subscribe to a number of other youtubers but seem to skip around in most of their videos not really watching them.

• Thanks 1

Only watch a few, most about food, though I am starting to get bored with them, and find myself fast forwarding a lot, if watching at all;

Ethan Chlebowski

Food Wishes

Home Pro Cooks

Brian Lagerstrom

1 Thai destination vlogger:  Mickey Stotch

Paddy Doyle not longer in TH

Only must see YT'er: Daily Dose of Internet ????

• Thumbs Up 1

@KhunLA

Do you know about the "Mike's Tropical Tech" channel?  He's also from Hua Hin and also has an interest in drones and EV.  Currently doing a series using drones that regularly documents progress in the Hua Hin train station build.

Edited by NotReallyHere
typo
  • Like 2

i don't watch any now but during lockdown i watched a few to catch up on the latest:

Mister Egg le Pub - some entertaining stories

Buzzin Pattaya - kinda newbie stuff

Brian Flowers - Soi 6 update

Everything Pattaya - videos of gentleman clubs, roads, new opening, hotels etc

Can I say the YouTubers are watching TikTok?  Because that's what they are watching.   lol.  

Oh, I read the title wrong the first time.   my bad.

Ah......I can't deal with 10,000 ChiangMai vloggers who thinks they found the best coffee shop or hotel room or waterfall or tourist spot..........Yes, I watched a few, went mad, now never again....it's just unrealistic, lying <deleted>......of course, they won't ever say anything negative, so their value goes to zero........it's not honest stuff.  

i am jealous that MateNate guy is super rich. yes.  i don't watch his stuff.

I like one fat Thai guy who does food blogs......I'll watch one video every few months.

YouTube, for me, is for sports, my passions (not tourist stuff), a take on current events when I'm bored for some biased reporting, music videos, music, and movie trailers.  

Edited by BananaStrong
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have watched most Thai based content producers but I lost interest in most of them as their week to week content becomes a bit stale. But I appreciate their efforts to entertain, as it must be hard to come up with fresh content.

I never watch any vlogs that show "paid promotion" because I find it very disingenuous for a vlogger to suddenly proport to use and love some random product when in reality they probably never used the product in their life until they were paid to promote it e.g. "I use Shark VPN for all of my internet needs because it is sooooo great". That example is the type of statement that would be considered by me as a lie, not a true and honest promotional statement.

I do watch a few Thai based producers because I genuinely think that they seem like nice people and I am interested in their general life and well being.

But I think the worst vloggers by far are the ones who come to Thailand for a month or two, have no idea about Thailand and produce a few weeks of content identical to the content that a vlogging backpacker the month before generated. Each week someone else "discovers" another Thai hidden gem that has been "discovered" and  vlogged to death numerous times in the preceding weeks. Or they tell the audience that a certain market is the biggest or the best or the cheapest in Thailand, when they clearly have no idea of the truth of any of those claims.

TNT - Tim Newton has a daily wrap up what’s going on around Thailand M-F @ 09:00 many viewers comments usually 20-25 minutes. Saturday Live show starts at 09:00 @ 1 hour live comments . Off

normally on Sunday with exception to this Sunday a Holidayish Special. Tune in you might enjoy it….

• Thumbs Up 1

I catch the Thaiger channel sporatically....

I do catch Unseen Thailand when something pops up......

The guy is a retired police detective & spins some tales from his past case log while walking & pointing out interesting spots around Chiang Mai as well as off  the beaten track ansedotes & interacting with the locals while walking about....

He's unpretentious in a relaxed, and interesting way while enjoying whatever he encounters....

Not any of the pushy, know it all, haughty, or condescending attitudes so common among YT'ers....Most of which I would not want to meet or be around......

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Thumbs Up 1

I enjoy watching some of Paddy Doyle’s travel videos around Thailand. He has also ‘done’ Vietnam, & is currently ‘doing’ Laos.

He is a little annoying, & the videos are often a little light on content, but the cinematography is excellent.  It gives me ideas on places I want to see, & others I will be happy to miss in LOS.

• Like 1

I only watch CB Media because he covers the motorsport scene around Thailand better than anyone else I know of. 

Every other farang is just hanging around Bangkok/Pattaya drinking beers or eating from street stands. It’s the same thing over and over again. 

Happy to check out some of the recommendations posted herein. 

7 hours ago, KC 71 said:

Tim Newton Today

The Thaiger

The Thairish Sun

Thai Girl Gift & Foreigner Joe

GottoLoveThailand

Thai Nomads

notime2besad

Thanks for the "ThaiNomads" recommendation.  I'm not as interested in travel vlogs, but this one is different since it's by a Thai couple.  Excellent English.  Great to get a "domestic travel" spin on the travel videos.  I suspect many Western vloggers get their information from watching other vlogs.  Recycled information.  From what I've watched so far, the ThaiNomad channel seems to show more sites that are not as commonly visited by Westerners.  Looking forward to watching more of their stuff.

• Like 1

I watch some of the ones mentioned but like many have said all repetitive.  One channel that is pretty basic meaning no bells and fancy video editing is Sasi May and Bruce. From what I gather it was started for his wife to have an additional income stream. Any revenue belongs to the channels owner. His wife. They have just over 900 subscribers and need 1,000 before she starts receiving any money. Best of luck to them. 

I have a really hard time following foreigners with Thai channels, thinking they know the country, the food, the locations, and all those secret gems they've discovered.

I find them to be at best, extremely ignorant, usually just plain stupid, without a clue.  Worse, they actually think they got it right, with 1000s of followers thinking the same.   Blind leading the blind.  Rather embarrassing to watch.