Taking Your Thai Car Outside Thailand

Yes I have searched the forum...

I want to drive to Singapore with wy wife for a holiday. From what I understand you need somethink like a "Passport" for your car. Where do you get these from? It seems that you can only get these near the boarders that you can drive through like Poipet, Nong Khai etc. Can anyone help me.

Also I know I can get the car cheaply transported from Singapore to Darwin or Brisbane. I know I can legally drive the thing in Australia for 3 months, under an International Treaty Australia signed. I just think it will be good fun to have a holiday also in Australia since I have no trtansport there any more. I also would give a years pay to see the look on my ex-wifes face when I drive up her driveway in a car with Thai plates. Has anyone ever done anything like this.

I take it you are planning to not return the vehicle to Thailand (taking it to australia?) Or are you going to ship it back?

It would be cheaper to hire a car, take some thai plates with you and get a few fines from the cops for no rego than to transport your car their and back?

As for taking your car out of thailand to Malaysia with the condition of returning it to thailand you need

1. I did it at the boarder. (as far as I know this is the only place to do it)

2. Had to get an entry permit for the car price depending on it's length of stay

3. Had to get or strongly advised to get (can't remember) insurance

4. Had to show car ownership papers and ID or if the car is not yours then a letter from the owner giving you permission to take the car out of the country.

Don't know about singapore

Ok;

The latest deal I got was $AUD2000 for the car from Singapore + 2 Passengers to Brisbane and the lift on and off the ship. I don't know why but they will do it for $1500- to come back. I understand this is due to dates and free space on the ship.

I thought that was good value, since the fees to enter Australia are low. If I stay 3 weeks, the cost of a rental of a decent size car will be almost $100 a day or about $2000- for the 3 weeks.

So the steerage although costing $3500- will save me $2000 so my wife and I can have a driving holiday in Australia for $1500-.

Of course this will all be spoilt because there will be all sorts of fees for Thailand and Malaysia I have not thought of.

It will also be so nice to show my Thai Licence and International Permit when the NSW police pull me over and just say "Mai Khao Jai"

a couple hundred baht for their troubles would also be highly appreciated.

Out of interest does the ship take passengers without cars, how much and how long to Brisbane?

Yes, I understand the ship does take passengers without cargo, in fact it is more usual that way.

I can find out a price, it is fairly cheap, and spartan. I will email my contact and PM you when I get a result.

Yes I have searched the forum...

I want to drive to Singapore with wy wife for a holiday. From what I understand you need somethink like a "Passport" for your car. Where do you get these from? It seems that you can only get these near the boarders that you can drive through like Poipet, Nong Khai etc. Can anyone help me.

Also I know I can get the car cheaply transported from Singapore to Darwin or Brisbane. I know I can legally drive the thing in Australia for 3 months, under an International Treaty Australia signed. I just think it will be good fun to have a holiday also in Australia since I have no trtansport there any more. I also would give a years pay to see the look on my ex-wifes face when I drive up her driveway in a car with Thai plates. Has anyone ever done anything like this.

Do you mean that the Family Court of Australia left you with a enough spare to donate a years wages to the Ex :D

Do you mean that the Family Court of Australia left you with a enough spare to donate a years wages to the Ex

Dr Pat, thanks for reminding me of the ex. She is mostly sorted out.

I also would give a years pay to see the look on my ex-wifes face when I drive up her driveway in a car with Thai plates. Has anyone ever done anything like this.

Na Mate, your ex-wifes got a really dodgy boat, and if i did i would have parked my car around the corner so no one could see it was there.

:D:D:D

I have just shipped my BMW to Australia. The whole process took 2 months, mostly formalities in Australia (ship took 3 weeks to get here).

Major costs are: shipping, insurance, port fees, GST (10% of Oz value), stamp duty and new car registrtion. Getting the car inspected and meeting AS requirements took 2 weeks.

I wouldn't do it again.