IRS ... incoming call, to answer or not

KhunLA

Yes, do answer, as good chance it is a real call, and not a scam.  As long as they are not asking for any info, about you (they have) or banking, as they never will.

Got calls Wednesday, 1st from Vietnam, I didn't answer.  Within a minute, a call from USA, ph# displayed (@ 1030am, so 1030pm there) and again, I didn't answer.

Googled, and shows as a real ph# for IRS / W.V.    So I called back, get automated msg, number something or other, but can't conx.

Immediately after, another all from Vietnam (69).  Didn't answer and block future calls.  Now seems, they were simply coincidental. 

When G'ing the IRS number, 1 site shows it as a scam, they'll ask info they shouldn't.  Also thinking, who works at IRS at 1030pm in USA, and making int'l calls.

Today, got same call from IRS, show ph# & location / Utah.  So I'm bored, and answered.  It WAS the IRS office, and just following up on a letter I sent them, asking if issue was resolved.   Told her about Wednesday's call, and she stated it indeed was her.  Told her G says W.V location, and she tells me she's in PA ... ???? They are aware that the caller ID / locations aren't accurate.

One now showing, G says W.V., one call showing Utah, when actually in PA ????

So ... if you get a call, and ph# is +1 xxx xxx xxxx, then it's possible it's a real call  just use common sense, and don't give any info, they should have, or any banking info as she stated, they'd never ask such things.  They have your info, SS#, name, address, and your IRS records, so shouldn't ask for anything.