Chris Hipkins sworn in as New Zealand PM

Social Media

Chris Hipkins has been sworn in as New Zealand's 41st prime minister.

The 44-year-old was formally appointed to the role in Wellington, a week after Jacinda Ardern's shock resignation.

Ms Ardern, 42, had said she no longer has "enough in the tank" to lead the country. The country's governor-general Cindy Kiro accepted her formal resignation on Wednesday.

Mr Hipkins built a reputation as the minister who led New Zealand's Covid-19 strategy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lets hope he does a better job than Ardern. It would be hard to do worse.

Let's also hope the ultra authoritarianism policies and chilling phrases like "We will continue to be your only source of truth" and "Unless you hear it is from us, it is not the truth" are confined to the history books as warning signs not to be repeated.

Given that he's already claimed that criticism of Ardern was down to misogyny, I hold little hope for him. So let's hope NZ gets it right at the next elections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He shouldn't get too comfortable, as unless National goes loopy and does something barking he'll be in opposition by November.

Another fear I have is that Labour will try and bribe their way to winning by spending millions of the money they'd have to borrow to win votes.

Sooner that government is gone the better, and they can stick their anti car, anti farmer woke policies where the sun don't shine.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Given that he's already claimed that criticism of Ardern was down to misogyny, I hold little hope for him. So let's hope NZ gets it right at the next elections.

He was part of Adhern's government so already contaminated, but is National the right government, or the only alternative? One fears they won't be much better, other than not having a certain agenda. I can't see them building millions of houses, reducing rents, stopping inflation or cancelling 3 waters.

Hopefully Seymour holds the balance of power.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Black Ops said:

Ms Ardern, 42, had said she no longer has "enough in the tank" to lead the country.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Seems she was only ever a huggy person with a toothy smile and a woke agenda.

When the honeymoon ended, she showed she just doesn't have what it takes. Bye bye, and don't come back.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Seems she was only ever a huggy person with a toothy smile and a woke agenda.

When the honeymoon ended, she showed she just doesn't have what it takes. Bye bye, and don't come back.

She really perfected the #bekind #caring image, complete with benevolent smile. That's what made her so dangerous, at least with the likes of Daniel Andrews it's abudantly clear from the start that he's a nasty little wannabee dictator, but Ardern's disguise was quite effective.

image.png.f2f0d5e0c811719431121f12e4bc757c.png

It is quite chilling that behind the smile was a deeply authoritarian character, one that brought misery to so many of her countrymen. One can only hope that people are starting to wake up to the type of shysters pushing the deeply flawed Woke agenda, and remove other such characters (Trudeau, Sturgeon etc.) ASAP.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

She really perfected the #bekind #caring image, complete with benevolent smile. That's what made her so dangerous, at least with the likes of Daniel Andrews it's abudantly clear from the start that he's a nasty little wannabee dictator, but Ardern's disguise was quite effective.

image.png.f2f0d5e0c811719431121f12e4bc757c.png

It is quite chilling that behind the smile was a deeply authoritarian character, one that brought misery to so many of her countrymen. One can only hope that people are starting to wake up to the type of shysters pushing the deeply flawed Woke agenda, and remove other such characters (Trudeau, Sturgeon etc.) ASAP.

It's been mooted by everyone I know for ages now that her plan all along was to use the PM thing as a stepping stone to a post at the UN ( like another NZ ex PM )- "oh look at me, I was so loved by all, and I give great hugs".

IMO being unpopular and soundly thrashed in the coming election wouldn't look good on the CV, so she got out before it really turned to the brown stuff.

Soooo, IMO the question now is if she can get the big office at the UN before the truth comes out.

I'm quite happy if she does follow Clarke into oblivion at the UN, so long as I don't get to see her on the news every time I watch it.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Echoes of John Key who left his National party pre-election - his farewell speech:

Quote:"On a family basis, I don’t think I could commit much longer than the next election.”

"All I can say is I gave it everything I had. I have left nothing in the tank.”

The next election, National crashed and burned. Even worse in 2020 they dropped to 25.6% of the vote and just 33 seats.

A lot of ground to make up v Labour whose 2020 results an even 50% and 65 seats.

Edited by gomangosteen

1 minute ago, gomangosteen said:

Echoes of John Key who left his National party pre-election - his farewell speech:

[Quote]"On a family basis, I don’t think I could commit much longer than the next election.”

"All I can say is I gave it everything I had. I have left nothing in the tank.”

[/Quote]

The next election, National crashed and burned. Even worse in 2020 they dropped to 25.6% of the vote and just 33 seats.

A lot of ground to make up v Labour whose 2020 results an even 50% and 65 seats.

I rate Key on the same level as Adhern. I was happy to see him go. Spending millions on a stupid flag referendum- waste of space IMO.

However, even he wouldn't be as bad as Adhern.

Now there's someone that has really vanished into oblivion. Haven't heard him mentioned for ages till you just did.