Visa not in passport

I don't have a visa. At least not in my passport. 

I got an e-visa in the data bank of immigration,  but no proof of it.

I did print it out and keep the print-out with my passport, but it's really just a pdf that anybody could have produced. 

I have always worried a bit about this. 

An Yu Ching claims, police said her visa was unacceptable and must be printed in her passport with an offical emblem. 

If I were police, I would think so, too.  If I were police,  I would never have heard of so-called "e-visa".

So my worries about my visa just got a bit bigger.

How can I prove that I do have a visa? Is this really  not necessary?

My LTR Visa is just a stamp in my passport and the quality leaves much to be desired.  The digital work permit is another issue as well, and now you can have a digital license for driving by using the DLT App so you do not need to carry the license with you.....whats next retinal scans.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lorry said:

No, it is not necessary. When you enter the country the visa gets you a stamp in your passport stating how long you can stay in the country, this is general, I have just been to Laos on an E-visa. The police should only check if your permission to be in the country is valid. It would however be prudent to keep a copy of the visa on your phone.

When I went to Vietnam I entered visa exempt but my friend had an E-visa, immigration kept that and we both had the same stamp in passport without any indication of visa.  Laos marked my entry as Tr-B3(Tourist Visa) and Thailand marked my entry as being a Non-O E-visa.

Unless your visa is multi entry it effectively becomes invalid on entry.   Previously they would stamp the visa in your passport as "USED", bit pointless with an E-visa as it can be reprinted.

The only time you should need to show a copy of the visa is when applying for extension at immigration, that may depend on office but mine did get checked.

• Like 2

Any police officer who genuinely wants to check a foreigner's immigration status would know how to do so, or know to contact a colleague at immigration if unsure.

Any police officer who's just looking for an excuse to extract money from a foreigner, on the other hand, would be flexible enough to make up an excuse no matter what's in the passport.

• Like 1

First , you should always have printed copies of important documents, and on your phone / email address. Secondly, you are on the immigration arrivals data base . Even the Thai police are capable of checking this if they have a doubt/ or you have committed an infraction. The lady from Taiwan was accused , correctly or not, of using e Cigarettes, which are forbidden in Thailand . She accuses them of extortion. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, sandyf said:

The only time you should need to show a copy of the visa is when applying for extension at immigration, that may depend on office but mine did get checked.

Yes. I produced my printout of the e-visa at Suvarnabhumi Immigration. My passport was stamped with 90 days and manuscript note ' e-visa '. I was asked for a printout when I applied for 1 year extension. That has been the only time.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 1:39 PM, Lorry said:

I don't have a visa. At least not in my passport. 

I got an e-visa in the data bank of immigration,  but no proof of it.

I did print it out and keep the print-out with my passport, but it's really just a pdf that anybody could have produced. 

I have always worried a bit about this. 

An Yu Ching claims, police said her visa was unacceptable and must be printed in her passport with an offical emblem. 

If I were police, I would think so, too.  If I were police,  I would never have heard of so-called "e-visa".

So my worries about my visa just got a bit bigger.

Your e-visa should have a QR code on it. Scanning the QR code should take any interested party directly to the record of the e-Visa in an official data base.  I don't see how this could be faked.  Just keep a copy of the e-Visa with you - paper copy in passport, and/or a photo on your phone or other device. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Sato said:

What do you mean with printout of the e-visa ?

A Copy of the approval email ?

Yes.

With my recent one the approval email had a link and that opened the actual evisa.

I then took screenshot and printed it. 

Note that was eVisa for Vietnam. 

Imagine similar steps for eVisa to Thailand. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

Seems to be the way the world is heading - my wife recently came to the states, they checked her through immi, scanned her passport and sent her on her way to the domestic terminal. I checked her PP and found her exit stamp from Thai but NO entry stamp for the states. Found out later you had to open a form I-90 and print your recent travel history to see she was checked into the states.

Thailand likes to follow 'good' ideas w/o admitting it wasn't their idea so expect to see this type of form soon if not already in place.

• Like 1