Re registration of newly renovated vehicle

My renovation of my Willy jeep has now concluded. However, even though the original book is in my name, I've been told I will have to re register it as the three year term limit is up. What's the procedure and can I get an agent to do it? (I did use an agent when transferring ownership but that was many years ago and now gone). I'm on Phuket btw

Thanks for any advice

The following happened at least 5 years ago.

I had a (big) bike which was registered in my name but then I didn't use it for at least 5 years and then I asked a big motorcycle shop if it is difficult to register that again.

They told me that is no problem, i just had to pay the taxes for all the years since it was last registered.

Maybe that works for cars the same way.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't know about Phuket DLT, our local DLT in Suk checked my bike over by inspection after being off road for 6•1/2 years ended putting all the details in a new ordered book from the old one that was falling to bits and ordered a new number plate changing the Kho Samui one to Sukhothai. 

No problem at all not much cost involved. 

Inspection, new book ordered, new number plate, 7 years back road tax, new road tax disc and CTPL govt insurance.

19 minutes ago, rabiedabruce said:

Thanks for the replies. Tad miffed at having to pay back taxes (around 8k) when it wasn't even able to be on the road. Think two wheels on my wagon. Ah well.

Yeah I paid 706 baht a 6 baht fine I was devastated.  ????

• Haha 1

Ok OP sounds like it’ll be easy enough… but you can’t just talk about the restoration.. you’ve gotta post pictures… please. Thanks

watched a YouTube video a guy was painting a 50s era olds or mane Chevrolet… with $12 house paint…I turned it off my Dad would’ve been doing flips in the box..

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure how long it is 3-4 years, but the reg plate will be cancelled and they can issue it to another vehicle, I.E you will have to re-register the vehicle, new book, new number, one of those testing stations displaying the yellow gear wheel should be able to do this, if you don't want to go to the land office. 

1474873692_images(67).jpg.f4ac2483868f6987c79cf9b159b88053.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I'm not sure how long it is 3-4 years, but the reg plate will be cancelled and they can issue it to another vehicle, I.E you will have to re-register the vehicle, new book, new number, one of those testing stations displaying the yellow gear wheel should be able to do this, if you don't want to go to the land office. 

I would suggest if OP does go to a testing station get a comfirmed price off of them first. 

19 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Ok OP sounds like it’ll be easy enough… but you can’t just talk about the restoration.. you’ve gotta post pictures… please. Thanks

watched a YouTube video a guy was painting a 50s era olds or mane Chevrolet… with $12 house paint…I turned it off my Dad would’ve been doing flips in the box..

Have all the photos, so no problem there. Just loathe dealing with Thai bureaucracy (don't we all) but particularly here on 'show us the money' Phuket. I pay everyone else to do it now. But nothing here afaik

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So I understand. It's where the testing stations are is the problem. Used to be one on Rawai - gone

23 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I would suggest if OP does go to a testing station get a comfirmed price off of them first. 

Normally 200b for the car test, and then to get the tax 'sticker', so I doubt it would cost much more to get a new book and plates, as most of these testing stations go to the land transport office everyday i'd say 1,000k tops + govt charges.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, rabiedabruce said:

So I understand. It's where the testing stations are is the problem. Used to be one on Rawai - gone

Keep your eyes open their everywhere look for that sign. Tyreplus also do the testing, normally these places like you to by extra insurance from them, i do, 7k a year num 2 insurance.

Not sure if one of those inspection stations can do it all but worth a try. As of a couple of years ago:

Fee for applying for a car registration when the car tax is absent for 3 years or more than 3 years

New car registration fee 315 baht
     The cost of a new car registration book is 100 baht.
     The cost of a license plate is 100 baht.
     Compulsory insurance (sedan cars 645.21 baht, pickup trucks 967.28 baht, vans 1,182.35 baht)
     Car tax per car type
     Car inspection fee

For cars that are missing the 3-year car tax, the car owner must return the license plate and vehicle registration book.

https://masii.co.th/blog/ขาดต่อภาษีรถยนต์เกิน3ปี

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, ningnong said:

Not sure if one of those inspection stations can do it all but worth a try. As of a couple of years ago:

Fee for applying for a car registration when the car tax is absent for 3 years or more than 3 years

New car registration fee 315 baht
     The cost of a new car registration book is 100 baht.
     The cost of a license plate is 100 baht.
     Compulsory insurance (sedan cars 645.21 baht, pickup trucks 967.28 baht, vans 1,182.35 baht)
     Car tax per car type
     Car inspection fee

For cars that are missing the 3-year car tax, the car owner must return the license plate and vehicle registration book.

https://masii.co.th/blog/ขาดต่อภาษีรถยนต์เกิน3ปี

Another poster was kind enough to let me know where a testing station was, very close to me. The vehicle is a Willy, still has/had old reg and ins stickers (replaced windshield). I've looked up the docs needed. I'm the named owner on the book. The fees are reasonable, except for the back tax, which in my case could amount to 10+ k. And as the book must be a new one, together with the plates, I find this a blatant rip off as jeep hasn't been able to have been on the road (have pics to prove). So why the tax for something not having used the roads for a long period of time? But as a lot of money's been spent on restoration, suppose must just suck it up.

Edited by rabiedabruce
spl