How much does PEA charge to connect electric to land per metre?

ubonr1971

We are interested in buying small land in our area but the nearest PEA meter is 135m away. On that pole there are several small meter boxes where numerous families connect to the grid. . Actually the house opposite the land we want has set up power poles and wires but it doesnt look like its PEA. The broker told me we would probably have to do our own or should I say pay for our own connection direct to the land. 

How much does PEA charge per metre to do this???

I suggest your first port of call be the local PEA office with the address and the meter reference of one of the existing meters (so they can accurately pinpoint where you are). EDIT A Google maps printout wouldn't go amiss too.

They will tell you where they can install a meter, how big a supply you can have (important) and be able to point you at a "contractor" who can give you an estimate.

I put "contractor" because most of the PEA offices have crews who will moonlight for jobs like this. Our poles were put in (on a Sunday) by a crew driving a PEA truck and wearing PEA uniforms, the poles are stamped "PEA". Pay the foreman in cash! 

I think we paid about 15k for 4 poles and 60m of single-phase wiring, but that was waaaaay back in 2011. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I suggest your first port of call be the local PEA office with the address and the meter reference of one of the existing meters (so they can accurately pinpoint where you are).

They will tell you where they can install a meter, how big a supply you can have (important) and be able to point you at a "contractor" who can give you an estimate.

I put "contractor" because most of the PEA offices have crews who will moonlight for jobs like this. Our poles were put in (on a Sunday) by a crew driving a PEA truck and wearing PEA uniforms, the poles are stamped "PEA". Pay the foreman in cash! 

I think we paid about 15k for 4 poles and 60m of single-phase wiring, but that was waaaaay back in 2011. 

If our neighbour has already paid for concrete poles cant we just ask them to put new metre box on the pole that everyone else has one and then run new wires for our proposed house to our location using his poles? 

I suppose we would have to find out if they are PEA poles or his poles? As TIT I imagine he will say he paid for them and we must offer him an envelope?

If the poles actually belong to your neighbour it can't hurt to ask if you can piggy back on them (for a fee of course).

There is always a risk that in future you might have a "falling out" with them or subsequent owners of the land and suddenly find yourself without power.

3 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

just ask them to put new metre box on the pole that everyone else has

The issue is if end of line there may not be any excess power available without a new transformer.  And often the transformer is not located on same pole so really needs survey/cost estimate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If the poles actually belong to your neighbour it can't hurt to ask if you can piggy back on them (for a fee of course).

There is always a risk that in future you might have a "falling out" with them or subsequent owners of the land and suddenly find yourself without power.

Crossy, what I understand (but could be absolutely wrong) is that after a few years the Poles will be property of the government even when you paid for them.

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Crossy, what I understand (but could be absolutely wrong) is that after a few years the Poles will be property of the government even when you paid for them.

I think it depends where the poles are located (public or private land) but I'm not totally sure.

That's certainly the case when you "pay" for a new transformer, you would expect PEA to maintain it then of course.

41 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I think it depends where the poles are located (public or private land) but I'm not totally sure.

That's certainly the case when you "pay" for a new transformer, you would expect PEA to maintain it then of course.

How much is a new transformer?

33 minutes ago, bluejets said:

I wouldn't scare the poor bloke with "transformer requirements and costs".

Best to vist the PEA as previously advised and find out exactly where one stands first up.

Which I advised in first reply - but as he is considering purchase best he not buy and find out later there are no funds for electric.

• Like 1