Heart Center Bangkok Hospital, Khon Kaen

Khyron

This procedure should be recommended for everyone over say age 50. Of course thats not possible.

My own experience was different. I was working in the O&G industry mostly in the ME and had medicals annually. All good you say? On one of my leave periods one evening I didn't feel quite right and couldn't sleep at all. I my my bike to BPH Pattaya in the am and they asked my 2-3 questions and immediately put me in a wheelchair and the tests began.The next morning I was prepped for surgery and they performed a quadruple bypass.A week later I was released.I had no idea there was an issue and the annual medicals showed zero. Had I known about this testing would I have had it done? Thats the big question. Hats off to you for doing this and should give you peace of mind. BTW please be careful crossing the road.555 

On 2/7/2023 at 3:03 PM, Khyron said:

Ankle Brachial index, never had that before. What that is, they put 4 BP cuffs on both arms and ankles, then the machine alternates readings to see if there are any obstructions.

Next was the Carotid artery doppler sonography. This looks at the arteries in your neck to see how thick the walls are, any plaque in the arteries as well. They also take sound recordings of the blood flowing through there. From what they told me, the condition of the arteries in your neck are indicative of the rest of the arteries elsewhere, just easier to see.

That was interesting to read. I had never heard of those tests before

I am curious though for that price why they didn't suggest a CTA or if not that maybe a calcium score?

5 hours ago, mania said:

That was interesting to read. I had never heard of those tests before

I am curious though for that price why they didn't suggest a CTA or if not that maybe a calcium score?

I didn't see calcium on there, they did check 14 different items in the cbc. Not sure what a CTA is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khyron said:

I didn't see calcium on there, they did check 14 different items in the cbc. Not sure what a CTA is.

What is computed tomography angiography? CT angiography is a type of medical test that combines a CT scan with an injection of a special dye to produce pictures of blood vessels and tissues in a part of your body. The dye is injected through an intravenous (IV) line started in your arm or hand.

CT involves radiation exposure and dye which can also be a hazard so unless other indicators not a likely first choice - EST is a normal test for those able to walk OK and there is a chemical stress test for those unable/older.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Khyron said:

I see lopburi3 already explained CTA

As for the calcium scoring test it is this...

The coronary artery calcium (CAC) score measures the amount of calcified plaque you have in those arteries, which is important because coronary plaque is the main underlying cause of — or precursor to — atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) events such as heart attacks and strokes.

32 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

CT involves radiation exposure and dye which can also be a hazard so unless other indicators not a likely first choice - EST is a normal test for those able to walk OK and there is a chemical stress test for those unable/older.

Yes & that is the reason I have not wanted to get a CTA test. Because that dye can be hazardous to folks with kidney problems & I have had a few

The calcium scoring test sounds ok & is inexpensive or so Ive heard

One other test is the MRA which is a MRI for the heart & again without dyes

Magnetic resonance angiography–also called a magnetic resonance angiogram or MRA–is a type of MRI that looks specifically at the body's blood vessels. Unlike a traditional angiogram, which requires inserting a catheter into the body, magnetic resonance angiography is a far less invasive and less painful test.

10 minutes ago, mania said:

Yes & that is the reason I have not wanted to get a CTA test. Because that dye can be hazardous to folks with kidney problems & I have had a few

The calcium scoring test sounds ok & is inexpensive or so Ive heard

One other test is the MRA which is a MRI for the heart & again without dyes

Magnetic resonance angiography–also called a magnetic resonance angiogram or MRA–is a type of MRI that looks specifically at the body's blood vessels. Unlike a traditional angiogram, which requires inserting a catheter into the body, magnetic resonance angiography is a far less invasive and less painful test.

The problem with MRI's is the size - those of average western build are more than a little confined/Closter phobic if older machines (although newer units are larger) and they can take a long time to complete - with you expected to lie still on back and not move.  For longer scans, as my cancer which take almost 3 hours, this can be very painful.  The MRI can not be used to repair so of anything found catheter may be required to open blockage or insert stents. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The problem with MRI's is the size - those of average western build are more than a little confined/Closter phobic if older machines (although newer units are larger) and they can take a long time to complete - with you expected to lie still on back and not move.  For longer scans, as my cancer which take almost 3 hours, this can be very painful.  The MRI can not be used to repair so of anything found catheter may be required to open blockage or insert stents. 

Sorry to hear about your cancer & hope your doing well ????

Yes I cannot imagine 3 hour scan wow !

Thanks for the explanation.

I am not sure I would have gone for the CTA, a bit too invasive with the chemicals and whatnot. 

If my arteries had shown plaque or thickness of the walls, then that would be something to think about.

For the price, I am happy with the procedure.

• Like 1

I went there with a suspected heart attack, so said my GP in Khon Kaen. 

After waiting 2 hours, thinking about how my kids would survive without me, the doctor said, "why are you here, there's nothing wrong with you"!

Have heard mixed reports about this hospital.