Informal Thai Workers in South Korea Should Return to Thailand This Month

snoop1130

2d147abb01e0a64f406dc77dee9dc332_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - A deadline has been set for informal Thai workers in South Korea to return to Thailand without paying heavy penalties.

Deputy Government Spokesperson Rachada Dhnadirek said the South Korean government has set February 28, as the deadline for Thais working illegally in South Korea to return to Thailand. Any Thai workers currently in the country illegally who return within the deadline will be exempt from the penalty fee of around 30 million won or 800,000 baht.

The spokesperson said workers who want to return home can contact South Korean immigration authorities or visit www.hikorea.go.kr. South Korean officials have offered channels for illegal Thai workers to return home since November 7, 2022.

The spokesperson warned that informal workers will not be allowed access to welfare in the country and could face exploitation and low salaries while being forced to live in hiding. She also noted that any Thai workers returning under this offer will be able to return to South Korea again in the future.

For more information, the South Korean Immigration Contact Center can be reached by dialing 1345, calling the Royal Thai Embassy in Seoul at +82-10-6747-0095, or +82-10-3099-2955, or visiting the embassy’s Facebook page.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230208095743088

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-02-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

"Informal"?

Interesting.

I expect we'll see that description used by Thai Immigration as well during their many vinyl-laden roundups/pressers.

Although the Thais are not generally working in criminal enterprises in Korea,  except for the happy endings, I guess they mean to include these illegal workers to be part of the "informal economy". The Informal economy sector is large in developing countries, a recognized term in economics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informal_economy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

What are "informal workers"? Is that what they call in Thailand 'illegal workers'?

"The spokesperson warned that informal workers will not be allowed access to welfare in the country and could face exploitation and low salaries while being forced to live in hiding." - I think that covers it......

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Although the Thais are not generally working in criminal enterprises in Korea,  except for the happy endings, I guess they mean to include these illegal workers to be part of the "informal economy". The Informal economy sector is large in developing countries, a recognized term in economics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informal_economy

Developing countries? 

• Thumbs Up 1

I knew a guy that worked in Japan for over 25 years illegally. No problems what so ever returning.

Talked to a gal from Thailand last night I know that lives in Japan. He$$ will freeze over or when she gets old. Then a swift return to Thailand.  

So I can overstay my tourist visa in Thailand for years and only pay 20K baht on exit. But Thails have to pay 800K... hahaha