D-Day April 1 For New Vehicle Tax Rule

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

AS PART of the government’s effort to strictly enforce traffic rules the police together with the Land Transport Department will from April 1, 2023 not issue a tax sticker to vehicle owners who have not paid their traffic fines until they do so within 30 days, Naewna newspaper said Sunday morning (Feb. 12).

Ms. Ratchada Thanadirek, deputy spokesperson for the Prime Minister’s Office, said this new rule is not retroactive with vehicle owners with pending traffic fines to be given a temporary paper valid for 30 days to give them time to pay up unless they do so right away at the Land Transport Department office.

There is a fine of not more than 2,000 baht and deduction one out of 12 driving penalty points for not displaying a valid vehicle tax sticker.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/02/12/d-day-april-1-for-new-vehicle-tax-rule/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-02-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

I don't know why this is being called a new rule. I already had a problem registering my vehicle due to an unpaid ticket, about 3 years ago. I had to go down the local police station to pay it before they released my new tax sticker.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i can see them just not bothering to get new tax

I guess some will have to settle up the fines to display a valid tax sticker, however those without funds to pay the fine will probably evade the tax as well.

As the penalty for that is minimal and worth the risk for some.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i can see them just not bothering to get new tax

If no tax but have insurance , would the insurance pay out if you have an accident ,  cos in the UK the vehicle must have its annual vehicle inspection ( M.O.T. ) , road tax and without either your insurance is invalid but in Thailand ?

• Thumbs Up 1