IDP good for 90 days - Re-enter and use again for 90 days or so ?

freedomnow

Can a UK motorbike IDP be used for a fresh 90 days if doing an out-in visa run after being in Thailand for 90 days previous to that ?

I thought that the IDP was good for 90 days before you had to get a license or license update...am not sure

situation is if you came back in from a border run and use it again as its valid for 2 years I believe.

Would that be 90 days in a calendar year  only allowes or good on re-entry again ?

Seems residency certs are hard to come by now on tourista visas in Chiang Mai to renew licenses and maybe all over now to re-new a Thai license ?

I have no plans to go on non-O visa routes in coming year - which would help get license re-newed.

I just don't want to be stuck with no medical cover issued from outside Thailand.

Am looking at it from both medical cover and traffic stop side of things.

As most of us know, you can use the IDP for the entire term of it's validity, almost no police will ever cross-check with your date of entry etc. on your passport.

But I think the OP is more concerned about the Medical Insurance he has from abroad, will it be void on an IDP used for over 90 days from entry into Thailand, or does he need a border bounce to re-validate his IDP.

Anybody with any information on this interesting question?

My most recent UK IDP for Thailand ( 1968 ) is valid for 3 years. I believe it's valid as long as your D.L. is valid. Nothing on it about re x days.

Where does the 90 days come in?

There maybe country stipulations that say something along the lines that after 12 months LIVING in country x you must get a permanent D.L., but as a tourist it should cover 3 years

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Can a UK motorbike IDP be used for a fresh 90 days if doing an out-in visa run after being in Thailand for 90 days previous to that ?

I thought that the IDP was good for 90 days before you had to get a license or license update...am not sure

situation is if you came back in from a border run and use it again as its valid for 2 years I believe.

Would that be 90 days in a calendar year  only allowes or good on re-entry again ?

Seems residency certs are hard to come by now on tourista visas in Chiang Mai to renew licenses and maybe all over now to re-new a Thai license ?

I have no plans to go on non-O visa routes in coming year - which would help get license re-newed.

I just don't want to be stuck with no medical cover issued from outside Thailand.

Am looking at it from both medical cover and traffic stop side of things.

There is no 90 day limit, you are good to go as long as your IDP is valid.

• Thumbs Up 1