150cc Yamaha Nouvo?

Hi, all, I'm thinking about buying a 2004 Nouvo, which the owner claims is has a 150cc engine...???

Can this be? All references to the Nouvo seem to refer to a 115cc engine.

Is he mistaken, or does anyone know if there was a 150cc Nouvo made for Thailand sales in 2004?

Seems like it would kick assss.

Thanks! :o

Hi, all, I'm thinking about buying a 2004 Nouvo, which the owner claims is has a 150cc engine...???

Is he mistaken, or does anyone know if there was a 150cc Nouvo made for Thailand sales in 2004?

Thanks! :o

Advertised as 115cc they're actually only 113cc. Definitely no 150cc model available in Thailand

Thanks! :D

Advertised as 115cc they're actually only 113cc. Definitely no 150cc model available in Thailand

well, just my luck... it's being sold by a farang who's driven it for 24,000km, apparently holding on to his misunderstanding that "115" was a hundred and fifty.

They DO sound a bit alike, eh? lol :o

Thanks, guys.

Pawpcorn

If a 150cc happens to interest you, it would probably not be too difficult to have a 115cc bored out to 125, or maybe 135, depending on which cylinders are available from the manufacture. I do not know if a 150 clyinder for that brand of motorbike is available or if it will fit in the block.

I have bored out 100 CC Dreams to 125 and 100cc Suzuki Crystals to the 125 as well.

There are many ways to increase the output of these small bikes.

One of the most common ways is to get a free-flow exhaust.

Good luck and have fun. Please report back whatever you end up doing.

If a 150cc happens to interest you, it would probably not be too difficult to have a 115cc bored out to 125, or maybe 135, depending on which cylinders are available from the manufacture. I do not know if a 150 clyinder for that brand of motorbike is available or if it will fit in the block.

I have bored out 100 CC Dreams to 125 and 100cc Suzuki Crystals to the 125 as well.

There are many ways to increase the output of these small bikes.

One of the most common ways is to get a free-flow exhaust.

Good luck and have fun. Please report back whatever you end up doing.

Guys, I have to tell you I appreciate your input so much; I think it's such a sign of genuine generosity to post info here, helping a fellow farang... so nice! Thanks!

TOMORROW'S THE DAY!!! I go SHOPPING for my new-used Nouvo MX Yamaha!!! I will probably go see this guy's 2004 with 25,000 km on it just to get an idea of what THAT looks like, then go to used bike shops, and try to find one with really LOW mileage on it, for low baht, hopefully.

What do you folks think about 25K miles on a 2004 Nouvo MX...??? Is it worn out at that point, ya think? Advice much appreciated; I have no experience with the Thia step-through bikes; only owned regular motorcycles most my life...

Wish I lived in Pattaya... that one that our fellow TVer is selling down there looks so hot... but it would be quite a task bringing it all the way back to Bangkok.

Thanks again,

Pawpcorn

I'd get a new one. I paid 53,000 baht for my Nouvo around 16 months ago. They are now selling for 48.000 baht--dirt cheap when you compare this to small motorcyles in the U.S.

Recently Honda came out with the Air Blade. Until Honda came out with the Honda Click just before it came out with the Air Blade, Yamaha about owned the automatic bike market here in Pattaya. It had the Nouvo and the Mio, a smaller bike than the Nouvo although it also had a 115 cc. engine (113). So when Honda came out with the Air Blade it employed a liquid cooled 110 c.c. engine and claimed it had more horsepower than any other 125 class cc. automatic on the market. Meanwhile it introduced several other nice features not used in the Nouvo which would seem to make the Air Blade to be newer and better.

So here's my theory. Yamaha has just knocked off about 5000 baht off the price of its flagship small bike, the Nouvo while Honda has kept its Air Blade at premium price level. Yamaha is a very innovative bike company, especially so in this bike market. Recently it redesigned its Mio which it is now selling for 40,000 baht while calling it the Fino. This is a gorgeous small bike with curvy Italian lines---a real retro piece of work. But it's still selling the Mio after giving it some small cosmetic changes which make it pretty spiffy looking. But.....Yamaha also has the Spark, a semi automatic model that is somewhat comparable to the Honda Wave. But it's 135 cc.s to the Honda Wave's 125 so it's likely to be faster. And get this, the Spark is liquid cooled. So if one were to claim liquid cooling is better than air cooling, why does Yamaha provide Nouvo's poorer sibling with a 135 cc. liquid cooled engine while keeping a 115 c.c. engine in the Nouvo which is air cooled?

Something's underfoot with the 5000 baht discounting of the Yamaha Nouvo which is already a hel_l of a machine the way it is. Now if I were Yamaha I'd drop the 135 cc. liqouid cooled engine from the Spark into the Yamaha Nouvo's frame. I'd tweak the horsepower a little upwards taking advantage of the leeway liquid cooling can give me here. Then I'd take my 16 inch tires that are larger in diameter to the Honda Air Blade's 14 inch tires and I'd make them slightly wider to at least match the Air Blade's. Yamaha would now have the most stable bike in its class on the road with no argument on that score and it could no doubt claim a 20 to 25 % advantage of power over Honda's Air Blade. If Yamaha would do this right it would blow Honda right back into the swamplands of outer Mongolia--at least for the time being..

I'd get a new one. I paid 53,000 baht for my Nouvo around 16 months ago. They are now selling for 48.000 baht--dirt cheap when you compare this to small motorcyles in the U.S.

Recently Honda came out with the Air Blade. Until Honda came out with the Honda Click just before it came out with the Air Blade, Yamaha about owned the automatic bike market here in Pattaya. It had the Nouvo and the Mio, a smaller bike than the Nouvo although it also had a 115 cc. engine (113). So when Honda came out with the Air Blade it employed a liquid cooled 110 c.c. engine and claimed it had more horsepower than any other 125 class cc. automatic on the market. Meanwhile it introduced several other nice features not used in the Nouvo which would seem to make the Air Blade to be newer and better.

So here's my theory. Yamaha has just knocked off about 5000 baht off the price of its flagship small bike, the Nouvo while Honda has kept its Air Blade at premium price level. Yamaha is a very innovative bike company, especially so in this bike market. Recently it redesigned its Mio which it is now selling for 40,000 baht while calling it the Fino. This is a gorgeous small bike with curvy Italian lines---a real retro piece of work. But it's still selling the Mio after giving it some small cosmetic changes which make it pretty spiffy looking. But.....Yamaha also has the Spark, a semi automatic model that is somewhat comparable to the Honda Wave. But it's 135 cc.s to the Honda Wave's 125 so it's likely to be faster. And get this, the Spark is liquid cooled. So if one were to claim liquid cooling is better than air cooling, why does Yamaha provide Nouvo's poorer sibling with a 135 cc. liquid cooled engine while keeping a 115 c.c. engine in the Nouvo which is air cooled?

Something's underfoot with the 5000 baht discounting of the Yamaha Nouvo which is already a hel_l of a machine the way it is. Now if I were Yamaha I'd drop the 135 cc. liqouid cooled engine from the Spark into the Yamaha Nouvo's frame. I'd tweak the horsepower a little upwards taking advantage of the leeway liquid cooling can give me here. Then I'd take my 16 inch tires that are larger in diameter to the Honda Air Blade's 14 inch tires and I'd make them slightly wider to at least match the Air Blade's. Yamaha would now have the most stable bike in its class on the road with no argument on that score and it could no doubt claim a 20 to 25 % advantage of power over Honda's Air Blade. If Yamaha would do this right it would blow Honda right back into the swamplands of outer Mongolia--at least for the time being..

WELL!! I took your advice, Jack, and the others... One Thai friend of mine cautioned me HIGHLY against buying a used Nouvo.... he said that 95% of the used Nouvos are bought by Thai kids who modify them, race them (ie. beat them to shhit) then sell them back to the dealer. NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Today I went shopping first for a second hand... and looked at a couple... but had SUCH a bad feeling about this... and was quoted 30,000 Baht, UP... ugggg...

And the Farang that had driven his Nouvo for 25,000km (while thinking he was driving a 150cc (???) ) delayed the possible sale of his bike for 3 more weeks, until his replacement motorcycle arrives...

SO... the authentic Yamaha dealership, just up the road one block from the condo... who had, 1 week ago, quoted me 49,000 Baht plus 1000 Baht license and insurance seemed the logical place to go...

We ended up getting a dang RED one, (my partner's color preference) and we got the dealership to include the license and insurance within the 49,000 Baht, out the door, including a free helmet and jacket.

OH, I am so happy...!!! rode it the block home, in the light rain, and WHAT a STRANGE SENSATION, driving a CVS (continuous velocity something-or-other) automatic, after 42 years of driving regular motorcycles back in the states. SO SMOOTH, easy accelleration... tomorrow's the real test, driving to work at Rama II Centron, from Klouy Nam Thai.

Thanks, all, for your help and advice.

Pawpcorn

Great Post

I took my old, and mean old 12+ years Dream and bored the 100 out to 125,(1600 baht) put on a free flow exhaust (900 baht) and changed the gearing for the highway by changing the front sprocket from 14 to 16 teeth. I also added better shocks and size 90 tires. I lost an insignificant amount of off-the-line power, but I do not weigh much, so it is no big deal.

I am not a big fan of the automatics, but I like your ideas. A farang friend of mine has 40 rental bikes, and the Nuevos are in high demand. Once one of them has three years on it, he would be interested in selling it to me, and I would improve its output for something to do. If the cylinder from the Spark would fit in the Nuevo, that would be a good start. If you have any other ideas on increasing the driving enjoyment of a Nuevo please let me provide them.

So much can be done with these small bikes, and it can be done very inexpensively. The Thai bike magazines are full of incredible upgrades, but the majority of them are cosmetic. Reading Thai would certainly help as well.

Thanks for the information on the Yamahas.

Glad you went out and got a new Nouvo. You will no doubt be very happy with it.

Eljeque--Each to his own and I'm really not mechanically inclined. I don't know where I got the information but fully knowing the Yamaha Spark had 20 cc's on the Nouvo, and thinking it had appreciably more horsepower than the Nouvo I read somewhere on the Internet that the Nouvo had just a tad more power. Here's another one. As far as I know, both the Mio and the Fino have the same 115 cc. engines as the Nouvo. However, my girlfriend's Fino does not have the power of my Nouvo and the Nouvo is 30 pounds heavier. I sense the power difference and she states unequivocally that her bike is not as powerful as mine. So I have no idea what Yamaha is doing to its engines. As to the Spark, I never drove one and because of the chain drive it might be getting more power to the ground than the Nouvo. So I really don't know what would happen if you put a Spark Cylinder in a Nouvo.

What I meant was the if I were Yamaha I'd seriously look at dropping the Spark's engine into the Nouvo frame. And I'd add liquid cooling just as Yamaha had already done to the Spark. Then if the Spark is not really producing more power than the Nouvo, I'd be changing a few things inside to make sure that it outproduces it by 20 percent or so. Then I'd fatten those big diameter tires of the Nouvo a bit. The result would be an even more stable, better handling bike (and more safe) than the Nouvo already is. Yamaha could then justifiably claim "We've got a more stable bike than the Air Blade, we trounce it in acceleration and in top speed, we have the more comfortable seat--it's simply bigger and better."

Although the Air Blade is a more capable bike than the Yamaha Mio or Fino, Yamaha could leave the Mio and Fino in place competing against the Air Blade for the smaller drivers. These machines might not be as stable but they are about 15,000 baht cheaper. I've really enjoyed driving my gf's Fino and it's a terrific looker.

In the States Yamaha has a 250 cc. motoribike and a 400 called the Majesty which has gotten rave reviews. I take it that the much larger Nouvo type bikes one sees here are the Majesty models. The Majesty will do 95 to 100 mph but I think it's overkill for places like Pattaya. For here they seem overly large and heavy. The little automatics are really what most of us need. I would think that a 135 cc. engine wouldn't be enough of an increase in engine size to cause Yamaha to increase the frame size any or not by much but it would be just enough for it to be able to completely outclass Honda while cementing its reputation as being a step or two ahead of Honda when it comes to automatic motorbikes.

Edited by jackcorbett