travel

still kicking

So, it might be the wrong forum, but the mods can always move it Why is travel insurance so expansive? My flight cost me $700 but my insurance cost me more than that, so I am not surprised a few people chouse not to take out travel insurance. I only spend 3 Weeks in Thailand 

1 hour ago, treetops said:

How old are you and do you have any pre-existing conditions? 

For a comparison, my UK issued annual policy last year was less than £40 GBP.  Worldwide cover except USA.  Declared one pre-existing condition (no loading) and in my 50s.

Well, I am 75 only listed 1 pre-existing condition and my insurance was quoted higher than my flight cost of about $AUD 700.

18 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Well, I am 75 only listed 1 pre-existing condition and my insurance was quoted higher than my flight cost of about $AUD 700.

Why do you think that you are entitled to a cheap insurance at the age of 75? The insurance companies are businesses and need to turn a profit. They employ actuaries and statisticians who calculate premiums taking into account multiple factors, the primary one being the age of the insured.

I'm just below 60 and paid around $460 aud with Medibank Private for medical only cover for 5 months.

3 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Why do you think that you are entitled to a cheap insurance at the age of 75? The insurance companies are businesses and need to turn a profit. They employ actuaries and statisticians who calculate premiums taking into account multiple factors, the primary one being the age of the insured.

I'm just below 60 and paid around $460 aud with Medibank Private for medical only cover for 5 months.

Medibank Private is not a travel insurance it is a private health insurance and is to expansive for most people about 15% cancelled their private health insurance in the last year and more will do the same after April this year when it goes up again by about 5%.

Just now, still kicking said:

Medibank Private is not a travel insurance it is a private health insurance and is to expansive for most people about 15% cancelled their private health insurance in the last year and more will do the same after April this year when it goes up again by about 5%.

Medibank Private sells travel insurance, pet insurance etc....if you are a member you'll get 20% discount.

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

and the post office,

op shop around

Post office is a rip off they charge $4oo more than my cheapest quote. I take medication for high blood pressure and cholesterol but after taking medication everything is normal do I still have to declare it as pre-existing condition?

7 hours ago, still kicking said:

Post office is a rip off they charge $4oo more than my cheapest quote. I take medication for high blood pressure and cholesterol but after taking medication everything is normal do I still have to declare it as pre-existing condition?

yes