When does the burn ban start and end in Thailand?

CALSinCM

As soon as the rains stop, and can be mid Oct.   Full on by mid Nov till rains start, about mid May.  

Really depends where are, as to how early.  In a rice, corn farming area, and it will be sooner.   Where I am, coconuts & pineapples, and not till after Dec, full on smog, and a lot of that is blown down with the NE winds.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perhaps the wrong question to ask... 

The question should be... ‘Does any farmer ever take any notice of any of the burn bans ?’ !!!! 

Only when he has the local officials standing over him, and he can always say somebody must have dropped a lit cigarette end or wasn't here when it started so I don't know anything. 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

When will a burn ban be enforced.   Let's see.   When people look earn to compost. When burned crops can't be bought from the processors. When mandatory trash services are required. 

17 hours ago, MJCM said:

The village chief was talking about the ban during his morning "lecture" on the Village Speaker system just this morning (according to my wife) and while he was still talking someone set fire to his field. :whistling:

So that is the BAN for you :thumbsup:

"his field"????   Would that be the chief's field (as your sentence says)??

• Sad 2

As with most environmental, social and economic problems in Thailand, as long as the authorities are a bunch of lazy, greedy <deleted> who simply want to use their power to generate as much profit for themselves with as little effort as possible, nothing will ever change.

10 hours ago, fusion58 said:

As with most environmental, social and economic problems in Thailand, as long as the authorities are a bunch of lazy, greedy <deleted> who simply want to use their power to generate as much profit for themselves with as little effort as possible, nothing will ever change.

And I rather prefer a lazy, greedy government than some dictatorial that enforce nonsense with all their police power, like in Germany....
I hope that does not change.....But on the air quality something must be done....

On 3/5/2023 at 1:19 PM, KhunLA said:

As soon as the rains stop, and can be mid Oct.   Full on by mid Nov till rains start, about mid May.  

Really depends where are, as to how early.  In a rice, corn farming area, and it will be sooner.   Where I am, coconuts & pineapples, and not till after Dec, full on smog, and a lot of that is blown down with the NE winds.

Right. The rain puts the fires out.

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

Right. The rain puts the fires out.

And make things too wet to burn, aside from providing water to actually make it worthwhile to plant things.  All life needs water, some a wee bit more than pineapples. & coconuts.

Edited by KhunLA

Did my 4th burn today. Brother-in-law 100 metres away had a smouldering pile, which stank of plastic, so i said to self, why wait?

My fires are small, very dry (not much smoke) and only last about 15 minutes.

As for how practical a ban is, consider this.

1. Farm very small,  just over one rai not counting the pond. Not practical to buy a tractor.

2. Wife did hire a man and tractor to plough the farm, but he did an awful job ( i wasn't there to stop him). He just left a pile of soil and grass on one side of the field, also obliterating most of the path on one side of the pond - which also included 2 small coconut palms, 2 small bananas and 3 other small fruit trees he couldn't be arsed to avoid. Clearing up that mess by hand has taken 3 months.

3. One days rain just turned the soil back to concrete - a hoe just bounces off. As for the stubble rotting down - no, most of it is still there unless buried over 15 cms down. Had to dig out a lot of the grass out of the 'pile' and burn it as it wasn't fit to plant anything in.

4. Last 2 fires were mainly Eucalyptus leaves which i had raked up - they were up to 10 cms deep and do not rot down easily (have seen some which have survived at least 3 years!). Could have left them on the path next to the road, but one cigarette....... could have burnt the trees, fence etc.

5. Composting - I do compost a lot, but some stuff is too stubborn. 3 years ago i made a 5 metre long pile of coarse grass dragged out of the pond, took over 2 years to rot down.

I have spent 2 hours a day, 5-6 days a week for the past 4 months just doing maintenance on the farm - 10 seconds with a lighter saves a lot of time.

Fortunately, our area doesn't have any large scale burning, and air quality is rarely bad in the village - visibility is good and air 'tastes' ok. Only used our air purifier about 3 days in last 3 years. Just the local maintenance fires. Probably better as so many rice fields are now derelict, so not burnt (I reckon about 75% of paddies around our village not growing rice any more). 

On 3/5/2023 at 3:43 PM, CALSinCM said:

When does the burn ban start and end in Thailand?

And you've been in Thailand how long...???

Wake up and take notice of a gazillion other things as well and simply just accept it.

On 3/5/2023 at 4:29 PM, Tom H said:

Burning season whole year.

Weather inversion only December-end of March.

Weather inversion layers cold warm cold?

google????

They burn also in June:) but no PM2.5 issue then. Just see the fire map for all months:).

I agree of course, but sadly the posters on this forum don't do inversion layers, they're too complicated and anyway, they can't be seen whilst burning can. ????

On 3/5/2023 at 4:11 AM, Elkski said:

When will a burn ban be enforced.   Let's see.   When people look earn to compost. When burned crops can't be bought from the processors. When mandatory trash services are required. 

Yea, if the govt would send trucks around to pick this stuff up so the farmers don't need to burn it and take it all to a composting site they can turn around and sell the compost and use the proceeds to buy more trucks. My grandfather was a farmer and he never burnt a thing. He would plow things under in the fall and it would basically turn into compost/fertilizer for the next planting season. It's amazing how the Thai govt doesn't seem to have the capacity to think more clearly.

• Thumbs Up 1