How to Enroll Cambodian Children into Local Thai Government School?

What is the process (and is it even possible) to enroll Cambodian children into a thai government school?

More details:  the two kids are already enrolled into Thai schools and have been  for 6 years already.  They are more Thai than Cambodian in culture.
They only have student cards, no other documents that I am aware of.

However, the person sponsoring them will no longer be keeping them enrolled soon (details not required here).

I am Farong, GF is Cambodian.

I've looked up past posts here and it SEEMS like it would be possible to pay for them to attend locally, something like 3000 baht a term. 

But I'm unsure, and definitely 100% clueless on the process to get it done if it is possible.

Can anyone share information on how to enroll them (in Pattaya/Jomtien area specifically if that matters).

Thank you

4 hours ago, Dart12 said:

But I'm unsure, and definitely 100% clueless on the process to get it done if it is possible.

Same process as enrolling any Thai child in a school.

It just costs more, ask at the school how much they want.

Loads of Burmese workers kids at my sons government school.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Same process as enrolling any Thai child in a school.

It just costs more, ask at the school how much they want.

Loads of Burmese workers kids at my sons government school.

thank you.  that makes perfect sense.

Anyway to check on which close schools are "better'?  Or is that not even a thing and all goverment schools the same?

14 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Anyway to check on which close schools are "better'?  Or is that not even a thing and all goverment schools the same?

We asked the local teachers which school their kids went to.

Then we sent our kids to the same school.

• Thanks 1

Not sure about Cambodian citizen children but there is quite likely to be a way if paying.

This timing is a coincidence as my Cambodian GF is trying to get her 13yr old Thai son into a school in Pattaya (he has Thai ID card, Thai birth certificate and was born to Thai father, lived and schooled until now elsewhere in Thailand). The Pattaya schools were giving the GF the run around but, just today, she visited a local school who will take him upon passing some sort of exam or interview. One thing for sure is that her child must be listed on a Blue Tabian Baan in the area. She was told by the school that fees are 15,000 per 6 months - I'll be checking this all out when I see GF tomorrow. I didn't know Thais had to pay to go to government schools.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I'll be checking this all out when I see GF tomorrow. I didn't know Thais had to pay to go to government schools.

The government schools are free, but if you don't pay for the 'extras' they won't let the kids sign up.

My local schools extras are 5,000bht x2 a year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Not sure about Cambodian citizen children but there is quite likely to be a way if paying.

This timing is a coincidence as my Cambodian GF is trying to get her 13yr old Thai son into a school in Pattaya (he has Thai ID card, Thai birth certificate and was born to Thai father, lived and schooled until now elsewhere in Thailand). The Pattaya schools were giving the GF the run around but, just today, she visited a local school who will take him upon passing some sort of exam or interview. One thing for sure is that her child must be listed on a Blue Tabian Baan in the area. She was told by the school that fees are 15,000 per 6 months - I'll be checking this all out when I see GF tomorrow. I didn't know Thais had to pay to go to government schools.

Which school specifically gave you this information?

Yes, I'm also under this impression that not just thai kids go for free.

*** I was also told by a woman here with two kids that she has enrolled other kids for her friends and THEY went free because she  enrolled them under her Blue Book from owning a condo.

So I assumed we would have to pay something more in lines with what Britman was saying...3-4k per term if not under a blue book.

15,000 is a big difference from 8k.

And I'm trying to learn what the total would be too, as Britman also mentions another 5k for what would be two terms I believe.

If 15,000 includes ALL the fees for 6 months that's not too bad.

But are you positive of being listed in a Blue Book to attend?  this seems contrary to other info.

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

Which school specifically gave you this information?

Yes, I'm also under this impression that not just thai kids go for free.

*** I was also told by a woman here with two kids that she has enrolled other kids for her friends and THEY went free because she  enrolled them under her Blue Book from owning a condo.

So I assumed we would have to pay something more in lines with what Britman was saying...3-4k per term if not under a blue book.

15,000 is a big difference from 8k.

And I'm trying to learn what the total would be too, as Britman also mentions another 5k for what would be two terms I believe.

If 15,000 includes ALL the fees for 6 months that's not too bad.

But are you positive of being listed in a Blue Book to attend?  this seems contrary to other info.

I'll find out more and either update here or DM to you.

She went to three schools and Blue Book was a definite apparently. Two told her "come back in March when you or he are on a blue book for the district". When she went back she was told applications had closed week before and the school was full <deleted>. My GF has been in Thailand for 20 years and speaks Thai fluently so she did not misunderstand.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I'll find out more and either update here or DM to you.

She went to three schools and Blue Book was a definite apparently. Two told her "come back in March when you or he are on a blue book for the district". When she went back she was told applications had closed week before and the school was full <deleted>. My GF has been in Thailand for 20 years and speaks Thai fluently so she did not misunderstand.

That would be great. Thank you.  By chance, can you tell me if you are looking more in the central pattaya beach area or more inland?

My GF also is usually mistaken as Thai by other Thais, and the kids don't even speak Cambodian, only Thai.  They've only been in Thai schools in their life as well.

Edited by Dart12