What's Up With Tesco?

goforit

Who are the idiots that decided to revamp the Tesco store on Hang Dong road? Didn't care that much for it before but now it's a complete mess.

The deli section was gone today, both where you tell them what you want and they get it for you, along with the self-serve prepacked items. They even wiped out the section where you could get beer while doing your shopping in the food selection. If the goal was to make this into one of the worst shopping experiences you could have, then they succeeded.

Guess the new Rimping will be getting a lot more of my business in the future. Some of the items are a bit higher priced but a better selection and at least you can usually find what you want, get in and get right out.

Who are the idiots that decided to revamp the Tesco store on Hang Dong road? Didn't care that much for it before but now it's a complete mess.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that feels that way. I have to relearn the store layout all over again, and the new configuration is just done badly. Felt like an over-sized mom & pop store. :o

Yes, new Big C opening at the intersection of Hang Dong Rd and Middle Ring... AND, work is just starting on a second Makro store, in the same area but on the other side of the Middle Ring road. Exciting. :o

Yes Tesco is a mess, but likely for a good reason; likely extending/remodelling the place, which would be a good thing.

Yes, new Big C opening at the intersection of Hang Dong Rd and Middle Ring... AND, work is just starting on a second Makro store, in the same area but on the other side of the Middle Ring road. Exciting. :o

Sounds great, just a short jaunt from where I live.

I can't answer your question TB, but for those in my neck of the woods they have just opened a new Big C in Lamphun, and I've been told that the construction next door to it will be a new Makro. Looks like civilization is finally coming out my way.

does anyone know if anything is planned for san kampheng area?

yeah, it would be great to have something out in S.K. sick of the u-turns to get to carrefour. Mind you could go to Big C instead, whats better? Probably Big C with the new superhighway upgrade.

I cant wait till the big C opens up. I have been going to Hang Dong Tesco for 4 years now and they turn off their air con at around 6pm to save money I guess, but by 8 or 9 pm its an oven in there. Mostly I go to the New Rim Ping that is in the Kad Farang market but its a bit small and doesn't have alot of what I normally buy. Big C or Makro right around the corner is great. I am going to love saying good bye to that Tesco for good.

Although i had read this thread (thank goodness for the heads up), i did not expect such a BIG change when i arrived at Tesco Lotus last night. Felt so disorientated!

Maybe its just that im not used to it..but the layout feels confusing. Im sure it wasnt as confusing before.

Are all the shops downstairs shops that used to be upstairs? I had never gone upstairs before, so wouldnt know.

I guess its a good idea that tescos is now upstairs, allowing other businesses opportunity (although the man i noticed reluctantly getting out his wallet as whos wife was drooling over the gold jewelery stall may disagree :o), but i wish they had stayed with the original Tesco layout.

Well, im glad i rarely do big supermarket shopping, for i felt close to pulling out my hair last night.

> does anyone know if anything is planned for san kampheng area?

A new airport was planned for a while. :o

(But Thaksin is now out, and even if by some new World Wonder he were to be re-instated it is then unlikely anyone would let him build another airport anywhere after what happened at Swampbunny. :D

Back on topic: I second the deplorable air-con at Tesco. What a difference walking into the new Rimping, which could qualify as the biggest refrigerator in the North. :D Even Big C is more comfortable.

I've never really liked Tesco Lotus stores, anyway. The main thing that puts me off them is their apparent inability to restock items in a timely manner when then they run out.

Anyway, as far as changing the layout of the store goes, this is apparently a very common practice with all grocery store chains (not to defend Tesco). Somebody I met who worked in the industry explained that stores do that on a fairly regular basis (about every 2 years or so) because people get to know the layout too well and can walk directly to the section where they want to buy something, grab what they need and get out of the store quickly. That's the last thing a retailer wants because so much of the profit they realize comes from spontaneous purchases. If people have to wonder around finding the things they intended to buy, they will likely throw a few more "spur of the moment" items into their cart or basket. I don't know if this is true, but it makes sense to me, and I've noticed this pattern (of big retailers regularly revamping their stores) ever since he mentioned it.

I've never really liked Tesco Lotus stores, anyway. The main thing that puts me off them is their apparent inability to restock items in a timely manner when then they run out.

Anyway, as far as changing the layout of the store goes, this is apparently a very common practice with all grocery store chains (not to defend Tesco). Somebody I met who worked in the industry explained that stores do that on a fairly regular basis (about every 2 years or so) because people get to know the layout too well and can walk directly to the section where they want to buy something, grab what they need and get out of the store quickly. That's the last thing a retailer wants because so much of the profit they realize comes from spontaneous purchases. If people have to wonder around finding the things they intended to buy, they will likely throw a few more "spur of the moment" items into their cart or basket. I don't know if this is true, but it makes sense to me, and I've noticed this pattern (of big retailers regularly revamping their stores) ever since he mentioned it.

Have they ever heard of re-stocking the shelves whilst the store is closed. I for one am fed up trying to negotiate the pallets on the floor with my trolly only to smack my ankle on the edge. Effin painful that is. When asking why they don't stack at night or early morning the reply is "Tesco too tight with the over time" !! Yeh right, they must be struggling to make ends meet.

Rant over :o

Revamping a store is one thing - completely screwing it up is another.

The meat section now looks more like a fish market. Still gone are a lot of the better prepacked deli items I used to like that were good and reasonably priced. Also, some of the frozen meals that were not bad are no longer to be found. They even reduced the selection of bottled water they carry and they now overstock their own Tesco brand at 28 baht a large bottle, which recently used to be 22 baht. Interestingly, they still carry Nestle's where you get 6 liters instead of 5 for just 1 baht more at 29 baht. Go figure.

In the regular deli section, they had all new workers. Never had a problem before of explaining what I wanted before and getting it but this new crew couldn't understand my reasonably good Thai that I wanted 100 baht worth of ham.

One thing they do have down pat is either overstocking things they shouldn't (what happens to the dozens and dozens of rotting eggs they stockpile?) or understocking or just not carrying things they should. I'll wait to see what they do in the next couple of weeks and if it stays like it is, stop shopping there altogether.

Don't the Brits oversee what goes on at this store or do they strictly leave the management and final say up to the Thais? Hard to believe Tesco would want their name associated with this travesty for a supermarket.

:D

Well, it's not the end of the world. :o

Try shopping at Kad Luang (the big market) one day and you will find a whole new appreciation for Tesco EVEN in the current renovation mess. :D

No one said it was and why would I want to shop at an even worse location?

I just made a few points and observations expressing my frustration over a major renovation that has been very poorly done. I'm sure a number of others feel the same way even if they haven't put it in writing. The many loyal long-term shoppers like myself who have supported Tesco over the years deserve better than this. I will vote with my wallet and I hope a lot of others do the same as well.

Pointing out things that are wrong maybe won't resolve the issue, but to me it's a better course of action that just taking a "what's the big deal" attitude, which is the reason for a lot of the problems in this world to begin with.

"Try shopping at Kad Luang (the big market) one day and you will find a whole new appreciation for Tesco"

I suppose you are talking about the "Northern Village" at the Central Airport Plaza. What's wrong with this place?

"Try shopping at Kad Luang (the big market) one day and you will find a whole new appreciation for Tesco"

I suppose you are talking about the "Northern Village" at the Central Airport Plaza. What's wrong with this place?

I think the Kad Luang reference was actually to Wororot Market.

Yes, Talad Warorot. :o Which is locally called Kad Luang, which is what you'd tell a taxi or Red Bus driver when going there or connecting there.

"Talad Warorot" is a Thai name that hardly anyone uses but does appear on (tourist) maps. "Kad Luang" is local Muang lingo, everyone and their puppy refer to the place this way.

Indeed the Northern produce area at Airport Plaza is being marketed as 'Kad Luang - Airport' or some such, and nothing is wrong with it. :D It's rather nice actually, and it even seems you can board Nok Air flights straight from there, they even do boarding announcements.

Edited by chanchao

Tesco Lotus feedback

Don't like it? See if you get any reply from them by using the form.

I am sure if enough people complain they will get the message unless they care to wait for the figures to drop.

If you look at that link there is a box saying Store comment, click on it and you can send feedback for Chiang Mai Hangdong specifically.

Yes, Talad Warorot. :o Which is locally called Kad Luang

"Talad Warorot" is a Thai name that hardly anyone uses but does appear on (tourist) maps. "Kad Luang" is local Muang lingo, everyone and their puppy refer to the place this way.

Actually it's Lamyai Market which is locally called Kad Luang (the big market). But I'm probably splitting hairs.

Yah.. but then again the market buildings on either side of the road have different names right.. Thought one side was Ton Lam Yai makret and the other side Warorot? Not that it matters of course as you and everyone else would always just say Kad Luang..

Good God, what a sad bunch. Come and live in Thailand and obsessed with super stores, like a bunch of old women. Get a life and do something worthwhile and if you can't find your little goodies coz they've moved them......well.......naah its not worth writing more.

Get a life and do something worthwhile and if you can't find your little goodies coz they've moved them......well.......naah its not worth writing more.

Well, I do have a life and a very busy work schedule at the uni. When I go shopping there I go with a list, go to the spot the items are and pick up everything and leave. Now that takes 2-3 times longer (just went today on my tri-monthly shopping). Ended up having to do 360 degrees around the store just to find shampoo and tooth paste. :o

Of course I do know that this will settle and my point to point shopping will be that again, but in the meantime it is frustrating.

Err, yes. (Wait until they debate hamburgers or pizza again. Suggest you not stick around for that one)

What's sadder...debating about pizzas and burgers or reading about folks debating about pizzas and burgers?

Kinda like watching fishing on the tele. Anyways, I live in CM...i've got time to kill.