Total Thai seed failure!

I spent around 1,000bht buying seeds/seedlings from Thai suppliers.

After 8 months growing 20 plants, massive plants and not one trichrome in sight.

Just cut them all down and chucked them.

At the same time I was growing feminised UK seeds (from Attitude seedbank) and now on my 3rd crop.

Around 10oz already cured and sitting in jars.

Every plant loaded with trichromes.

Hope you other growers of Thai sourced seeds have had better luck than me!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

Also got rid of three local plants grown from seed, no flowers and no balls after 6 months. Even tried to flip them with 12/12 first then total darkness but nothing at 6 months.

I see lots of these around town outside mom and pop shops. 

Also switched to auto strain seeds and on second grow.  Should be about ready to crop in a about a week so 80 days from seed to cut, then about a month dry/cure.

Still learned a lot growing them though. 

• Like 1

Thai Landrace Sativas, which constitute about 6 known varieties, are typical of most landrace strains: they take 15-16 weeks to flower/mature, are hugely prone to hermaphroditism, and will pollinate and/or seed before maturity. At best, the leaf to flower (calyx) ratio will be disappointing to most people accustomed to the hybrid genetics on the market today. You may have noticed, the side-of-the-road plants are all in flower right now. These strains are long finishers. You will experience only slightly better results growing them indoors. If you are growing them along side other genetics, be prepared for cross pollination and seedling.

I don't understand why folks feel the need to pinch pennies on seeds? Or plant just any seeds? I mean you've decided to spend four + months to grow your own medicine, yet you want to just grab any seeds? This is a COLLOSSAL fail.

Determine the best strains and types (auto - photo) for your requirements. Then buy the best seeds from the most reliable source. They're feminized so no issues there. And for photos you could take cuttings going forward.

Seeds are, in case it wasn't obvious, the most important factor/choice.

Purple Thai is a widely recognized strain. Very popular here with growers.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

I don't understand why folks feel the need to pinch pennies on seeds?

More to do with "Thai seeds are great, blah, blah ........"

Trouble being the Thais will sell anything to anyone, an don't really care what they're selling.

Learned my lesson, only seeds from Attitude, The Vault and Gorilla from now on.

Currently growing,

Tropical Punch, good cropper, clones easily and resistant to aphids.

BubbleGummer, half the crop of TP, but tastes like that pink bubble gum we all chewed as kids.

And 4 new strains, KC brains Blackhead/Escape/Choice and Blue Dream.

Dropped Cheeslicious, flowers too small, only 1/2 oz per plant.

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Purple Thai another one I never heard off and yet when you google it apparently one of the oldest native strains in thailand……..how come you never heard off or seen it it for 30 years then.

Agree .......... never heard of it.

• Like 1

it is thai genetics that was hunted. haven't  done the backcheck yet as its fairly new.….Purple Thai”

Exactly the kind of misinformation we are ALL trying to avoid. The initial thread was about “landrace Thai Sativa” seeds and we see purple bud against a backdrop of Indica plants that nobody has ever heard of or seen., and stated as ‘fairly new’ Really? The only people that need convincing on this is the grower and his/her customers. Landrace sativas rarely, if ever, express anthocyanin red/purple pigmentation. The grower begs to differ about the Thai Sativa landrace characteristics compared to the purple bud shown! The ‘back check’ leads directly to a seed bank.Spare me.

• Like 1

In the video above  Interesting comments about the hybrids not being what they actually say they are same with the effects ,not being what they say they are……ties in with what I been thinking the last couple of years that for me the sativa seems to indica effects on me.

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Purple Thai is a widely recognized strain. Very popular here with growers.

Really I never heard off it until today ,not seen it for sale anywhere.

purple skunk and purple kush yes but purple thai never

1 hour ago, SamuiGrower said:

it is thai genetics that was hunted. haven't  done the backcheck yet as its fairly new.….Purple Thai”

Exactly the kind of misinformation we are ALL trying to avoid. The initial thread was about “landrace Thai Sativa” seeds and we see purple bud against a backdrop of Indica plants that nobody has ever heard of or seen., and stated as ‘fairly new’ Really? The only people that need convincing on this is the grower and his/her customers. Landrace sativas rarely, if ever, express anthocyanin red/purple pigmentation. The grower begs to differ about the Thai Sativa landrace characteristics compared to the purple bud shown! The ‘back check’ leads directly to a seed bank.Spare me.

misinformation what ? fairly new to us i guess i should of been more clear. the work will be done finding out exactly what i displayed in the pic. the seeds are sourced from a very famous thai grower and are as legit as they come. so what if there are indica plants in the backdrop what does that have to do with anything ?

a simple google search will uncover dozens and dozens of pictures of purple thai buds. 

https://anesiaseeds.com/product/purple-thai-landraces/

one example for you.........

*Purple Thai comes from Thailand and is one of the oldest native breeds*

if you are in bkk i could possibly arrange a meet up for you ? you can meet the master grower. see the facility and realize it might actually be something legit. 

or you can drag on here about how everything i am saying is somehow made up. 

Props to you on great purple bud. I/we were talking about LANDRACE Thai Sativas: long finishers, hermaphroditism, seeders and pollinators, and bringing them indoors and affecting other strains.

You said, “I beg to differ”, showed a dense purple bud. What does your hybrid strain have to do with true landrace Sativas? The misinformation is you implying you can grow landrace Sativas indoors and this is what it looks like. That’s my issue, not your bud, bro. 

just keeping it real and not pontificating or doing some self-promoting, aggrandizement. My knowledge is all science and fact based and completely free. (I’m a CEA scientist and this is my business) Would love to meet your master grower.

p.s the background page on purple Thai sativas is completely fictional. Chocolate Thai is what came out of the landrace (which is really SE Asian and not unto Thailand alone. Most of the landrace varieties here are from Cambodia and Myanmar.) The landrace Thai weed here cures out chocolate brown, hence the name. Any Purple variety Thai phenos are all hybridized from Purple Urkle, Mendocino Purp and Grandaddy Purps. The word, “Thai” is just appropriated and used indiscriminately. There is no dispensary market for Thai landrace flower here. 

Edited by SamuiGrower
  • Like 1

I admit I’m confused mystified by some off this

purple thai is a hybrid a cross of two plants so how can it also be one off the oldest natural breeds in thailand.

why have we been smoking brick weed for the last 20 years.

anyone care to explain enlighten me.

just using this purple thai as an example as we been discussing it today.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, taninthai said:

I admit I’m confused mystified by some off this

purple thai is a hybrid a cross of two plants so how can it also be one off the oldest natural breeds in thailand.

why have we been smoking brick weed for the last 20 years.

anyone care to explain enlighten me.

just using this purple thai as an example as we been discussing it today.

That’s the dribble part. The actual landrace Thai Sativa is NOT purple. There are no equatorial landrace purple sativas. Hybrids, another story completely. So, saying “purple Thai weed is one of the oldest strains……” is utter nonsense. Anybody can call any strain, seed, phenotype, cultivar anything they want. In my dispensary in Colorado, our seed-to-sale online software, METRC only allowed you to modify 1 thing about the flower - The Name! You could call your flower anything you want. 

The purple characteristic is from anthocyanin, a type of polyphenol, characteristic of high altitude Indicas (Hindu Kush Landrace strain to be exact.) It’s part of the plants genetic disposition when there is a differential in temperature between day and night (technically called DIFF). This occurs in the final weeks of flowering, building bulk. Same deal with leaf color change in the fall, back in the states.

Edited by SamuiGrower
  • Like 2

There are some purple strains in the first few minutes of the video. The Thai woman mentions "Duck", which could be Frisian Duck, which is a purple strain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7sw0PJVRdc

That channel has some other good videos

Some purples here at another farm in Petchabun, ~ 4:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1lK9SKirwg

Nice videos. Yes, purple strains, none are landrace. There are only about 6 landrace varieties in SE Asia and none look like that. Landrace strains are NOT desirable today. They produce a high leafy bud, earthy tasting and not visually appealing, not in this market at least. He’s growing Sativa dominant autoflowers. A pure Sativa (definition of landrace) would be 3 meters high in flower, even with topping. Look at the tight nodes. All hybrids. I like he shares with his bros! Like minded people perpetuating the goodness. Keeping it real.

• Like 1

Props to you on great purple bud. I/we were talking about LANDRACE Thai Sativas: long finishers, hermaphroditism, seeders and pollinators, and bringing them indoors and affecting other strains.

You said, “I beg to differ”, showed a dense purple bud. What does your hybrid strain have to do with true landrace Sativas? The misinformation is you implying you can grow landrace Sativas indoors and this is what it looks like. That’s my issue, not your bud, bro. 

just keeping it real and not pontificating or doing some self-promoting, aggrandizement. My knowledge is all science and fact based and completely free. (I’m a CEA scientist and this is my business) Would love to meet your master grower.

p.s the background page on purple Thai sativas is completely fictional. Chocolate Thai is what came out of the landrace (which is really SE Asian and not unto Thailand alone. Most of the landrace varieties here are from Cambodia and Myanmar.) The landrace Thai weed here cures out chocolate brown, hence the name. Any Purple variety Thai phenos are all hybridized from Purple Urkle, Mendocino Purp and Grandaddy Purps. The word, “Thai” is just appropriated and used indiscriminately. There is no dispensary market for Thai landrace flower here. 

sorry *bro* but ya that is the master growers bud. the dense purple bud i showed is supposed to be a landrace thai sativa strain from a local breeder. it was grown indoors in bkk so i am not implying anything. just stating facts. this is what a true master grower can do under ideal conditions. 

thats why its so dense and purple. dropped temps late in flower brought the color out more. the true genetics will be back tracked soon and i will have a final answer for you when i find out. 

there is absolutely a market for thai landrace flower here. the purple was basically sold pre harvest. it can't be grown fast enough for the demand that is out there. 

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

why have we been smoking brick weed for the last 20 years

lazy and practical farming. they knew they could get away with selling ditch weed and that people would buy it as there was no other choice really. 

That’s the dribble part. The actual landrace Thai Sativa is NOT purple. There are no equatorial landrace purple sativas. Hybrids, another story completely. So, saying “purple Thai weed is one of the oldest strains……” is utter nonsense. Anybody can call any strain, seed, phenotype, cultivar anything they want. In my dispensary in Colorado, our seed-to-sale online software, METRC only allowed you to modify 1 thing about the flower - The Name! You could call your flower anything you want. 

The purple characteristic is from anthocyanin, a type of polyphenol, characteristic of high altitude Indicas (Hindu Kush Landrace strain to be exact.) It’s part of the plants genetic disposition when there is a differential in temperature between day and night (technically called DIFF). This occurs in the final weeks of flowering, building bulk. Same deal with leaf color change in the fall, back in the states.

Thanks for clearing  that up as I thought it’s seed companies hyping it up.