Is it time to get an air cleaner?

cubism001

On 3/12/2023 at 4:37 PM, TheAppletons said:

I left for KL four days ago.    

Me? Same. I'm in the Cameron Highlands. The air is like Switzerland.

I had two small Hitachi's going full time in Chiang Mai. For me, it wasn't down to which air cleaners I wanted, but what I could get in the store, which was not the preferred model everyone is recco-ing.

Funny story: my next door neighbor is a dedicated vegan -who's been keeping his windows open for fresh air. We lent him our air purifiers while we're away. Mysteriously, his long-running headaches have gone away. Now he sleeps with one on either side of his head, like headphones.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Do we use Air Purifier in combination with an AC? I was under the impression that perhaps most AC had a "cleaning" system built in, no? 

Yes - No.  You use with AC as most AC have nothing more than a filter for course/large particles to allow condenser coils to operate for few months without cleaning - nothing like HEPA.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/12/2023 at 3:27 PM, spidermike007 said:

Yes. Absolutely. Bit, the good ones are expensive. Tried the Xiaomi and found it to be lacking. It requires an app, and it will not stay connected. Low end stuff. 

It is all about the size of the filter. Good ones have massive filters. 

What are you talking about? You do not need the app at all, it runs on itself and is not low quality at all. The filter size is also the same as the Philips variant.

And just so you know, many of the ten thousand of Xiaomi products, are based on A quality western brands, using the exact same materials.

I sell Xiaomi since 4.5 years now, I barely ever have warranty claims nor complaints in general.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The issue is the cheap plastic they use is highly flammable.   And the cheap motors will overheat.  This used to happen with cheap plastic outlet strips sold here from China - Thai standards have prevented them for last decade or so.  The key is cheap more than where made - but in todays world cheap often means China.  The Xaiomi is made to international standards and much higher quality and do not believe anything wrong with that.  Sharp Thailand is also an international standards company.

BS there is no difference in quality of materials in the 'China version' and 'International version' of these Xiaomi products. Neither is there any issue with the materials, cheap motors or other nonsense you describe. It is the electric connector + software that can either connect to the China (servers) or the International (servers) aside language etc.

Oh ok, you bought a cheap outlet strip from China so any Chinese brand is <deleted> quality. Just like all western stuff is made in the same factories. Please come with some actual facts before talking fake stuff based on your biased experience.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

BS there is no difference in quality of materials in the 'China version' and 'International version' of these Xiaomi products

I said nothing negative about Xiaomi or that they had domestic and/or international versions.  I did say cheap (read about 1/4 the price) items from China (no brand) often have lower quality plastic and motors.  

And will add have had 3 fires started by such junk.  Two outlet strips and a mosquito trap (fan type) which caused intense fire when fan caught plastic on fire.  This is my experience.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/12/2023 at 3:50 PM, cubism001 said:

The Lazada one: could you get replacement filters?  Thank you

I have a Sharp Mod. fp-f30ta-a which I got from Lazada aboyt 3 years ago. Works good and little noise and yes can get replacement filters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 3:49 PM, SamSanuk said:

Have to disagree. No app needed. (Maybe older unit in this case, 2s)  Runs fine for my studio/room. Step outside my hotel door and the air is heavy, rancid and chewy. Inside my room, light and clean.

Two coffee shops near me use the professional units from Xiaomi and the air is fine and dandy in both stores.

Sure, you could probably find dozens of better units, but for the price….no complaints here. Paid 4000 baht on Lazada 3 years ago. 

Got 2 Xiaomi's as well (larger one and smaller one) and also been happy with mine. The app is kinda optional, works fine without out.

However, over time, as the filter becomes more dirty, the device becomes less effective. So occasionally need to buy new filters of course. Or maybe can clean the existing filter.

3 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

Or maybe can clean the existing filter.

Unless clearly marked HEPA filters need to be changed as water destroys the filter material making it much less effective (no longer HEPA).  So that availability and cost should be part of purchase planning.  But in general filters do last quite a while.

• Like 2

Get a good one.  The air up here is now dangerous.  Don't let price get in the way.  Take the advice of members here.  Get them locally at Siam TV or via Lazada.  But get one.  We still have another 6 weeks or so of this annual madness.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 11:04 AM, aldriglikvid said:

Do we use Air Purifier in combination with an AC? I was under the impression that perhaps most AC had a "cleaning" system built in, no? 

No.  But you can buy 3M filters to place on the A/C filters.  The A/C filters only filter out larger dust particles.  The 3M filters down to 2.5 PM particles.

13 minutes ago, connda said:

No.  But you can buy 3M filters to place on the A/C filters.  The A/C filters only filter out larger dust particles.  The 3M filters down to 2.5 PM particles.

Unfortunately they severely cut the air flow if you cover all the intake area - keep enough open to allow the air conditioner to operate.  But in the air conditions of Thailand mainland believe best to buy an actual air cleaner.

• Thumbs Up 2