Tearing Up Huay Kaew Road

SamSanuk

At first I thought it was for laying some pipe, but it’s now my understanding that a new sidewalk is coming. A new business (B-quik Auto) actually had a nice sidewalk prior but no longer. 

Now, one has to walk in the road, with your back to traffic, which makes it unnerving as motorists speed by. Cones are few and far between.

Few of my favorite restaurants, Salsa Kitchen and LemonTree, have to be besides themselves. See photo below.

I grin and bear it but there are a few people in my hotel who need assistance while walking. Can’t be fun for them. 

E3AEF3CE-5933-4946-AA2C-8AE6B80AECFC.jpeg

6C05C3AC-3BE1-40F3-B287-82A781D7E045.jpeg

Edited by SamSanuk

When they repaved the pavement in Loi Kroh , they dug all the the pavement on both side of the road and then began to repair them , meaning that both sides of the roads pavements were unwalkable for about a month .

You would have thought that they'd dig up one side first and leave the otherside for walking , but no, dug the whole lot up first on both sides of the road 

• Haha 1

The are taking forever to repair what they have torn up on Huay Gaew Road (both west and east of Canal Road...and now east of Nimmanhaemin).  Some of us complemented the B-Quick outfit (that built the building about 100 feet west of the scene in the first photo above) for the very nice brick sidewalk they built in front of their building.  It's history now.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, freedomnow said:

If I have to walk on a road in South-east Asia, I always go to the side with on-coming traffic....at least you have a few seconds to dive from the 'sleeper at the wheel' having some down-time from 3 days straight on Ya....in theory....coming from behind, nope....you'll feel it before you see it....city or country road, same rule.

Facing oncoming traffic in the absence of a footpath is mandated by many countries under law / rules or recommendation.

NZ: If there’s no footpath, walk on the side of the road facing oncoming traffic. If possible, keep off the road, or as close as possible to the edge of the road.

UK: If there is no pavement, keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic.

USA: If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.

Thai: PEDESTRIAN shall walk on the footpath or road shoulder. If there is neither footpath nor road shoulder, he shall walk along the edge of the way on his right. (Fine not exceeding 200 baht).

In the case of Thailand though, chances are even, you'll get bowled over by a motorbike going in the wrong direction ????

12 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Facing oncoming traffic in the absence of a footpath is mandated by many countries under law / rules or recommendation.

NZ: If there’s no footpath, walk on the side of the road facing oncoming traffic. If possible, keep off the road, or as close as possible to the edge of the road.

UK: If there is no pavement, keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic.

USA: If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.

Thai: PEDESTRIAN shall walk on the footpath or road shoulder. If there is neither footpath nor road shoulder, he shall walk along the edge of the way on his right. (Fine not exceeding 200 baht).

In the case of Thailand though, chances are even, you'll get bowled over by a motorbike going in the wrong direction ????

I did name the region where I'd do that.....

Pedestrian traffic violations in LoS ?.....not pursued, like the other 80% that slips through (excluding junction camera violations by vehicles now)

3 hours ago, freedomnow said:

If I have to walk on a road in South-east Asia, I always go to the side with on-coming traffic....at least you have a few seconds to dive from the 'sleeper at the wheel' having some down-time from 3 days straight on Ya....in theory....coming from behind, nope....you'll feel it before you see it....city or country road, same rule.

Where they had it torn up by the canal I was sure to cross the road to face traffic. Very dangerous especially at night with light traffic/high speed at least you might have some seconds to bail out into the construction pit to avoid !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SamSanuk said:

If I ever had a one on one with the new governor, which will never happen, I would put pedestrian rights on the top of my list. Chiang Mai is NOT walking friendly , IMO.

Totally agree.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 4:22 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

When they repaved the pavement in Loi Kroh , they dug all the the pavement on both side of the road and then began to repair them , meaning that both sides of the roads pavements were unwalkable for about a month .

You would have thought that they'd dig up one side first and leave the otherside for walking , but no, dug the whole lot up first on both sides of the road 

This is Thailand, where brains are in very short supply.

• Sad 1

On 3/16/2023 at 4:30 PM, SamSanuk said:

If I ever had a one on one with the new governor, which will never happen, I would put pedestrian rights on the top of my list. Chiang Mai is NOT walking friendly , IMO.

The new governor is exactly the person who is trying to improve the situation for pedestrians. And yet, only negative comments on this forum, as always.

• 3 weeks later...

Two and a half weeks later: They have done very little near me. Hardly any concrete pouring. Lots of people walking in the road, with cars whizzing by. 

It’s such a weird priority….very few workers. Saw only two workers a few days ago.

Have to wonder if Songkran will come and go, which makes walking in the road, and getting doused, a terrifying reality.

• 1 month later...