TM-30 and Retirement 0 Visa - Does Landlord Still Need To Report?

I just returned from overseas and I live with my Thai GF in her home and have for over 4 years.  No address change.  I was under the impression that anytime you left the residence particularly if you left the country it was required for her to submit a new TM-30.

My neighbor who is from Belgium has the exact same situation.  He has not had her file a TM-30 in years.  He said immigration does not require it for a Non-O retirement but requires it for all other visas including the marriage visa.  

Now mind you, I always try and verify what this man says because often he "thinks" he knows the answer but does not. 

What is the correct answer.  We filed a new TM-30 and no one at immigration advised us any differently.  Additionally, I required a new residence certificate to open a new bank account and the immigration personnel demanded an updated TM-30 as part of the paperwork. 

6 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

I just returned from overseas and I live with my Thai GF in her home and have for over 4 years. 

If you returned with a reentry permit then no need to file TM30.

As usual it depends on your immigration office.  

Regards your request for residence certificate immigration should not have required an updated TM30.

Your most recent TM47 should have been sufficient.

Bottom line is unfortunately you need to do what your immigration office requires.

Which immigration office do you deal with? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Chiang Mai Immigration certainly requires one if you have left the Country (for a Retirement extension) and will be happy to fine you if not.  The rules changed a little about 3 years ago whereby leaving the province did not require a new TM30 on return.

I agree with Dr Jack in that all offices are different, but my best advice is to do one anyway after leaving the Country irrespective of having a re-entry permit or not.  You will almost certainly be asked for a copy when doing any visa extension/renewal.

4 minutes ago, Russ McD said:

You will almost certainly be asked for a copy when doing any visa extension/renewal.

CM yes.

CW no.

That's the beauty of Thailand.

Rule #1 : Rules are not required to be applied with any consistency. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Russ McD said:

Chiang Mai Immigration certainly requires one if you have left the Country (for a Retirement extension) and will be happy to fine you if not.  The rules changed a little about 3 years ago whereby leaving the province did not require a new TM30 on return.

I agree with Dr Jack in that all offices are different, but my best advice is to do one anyway after leaving the Country irrespective of having a re-entry permit or not.  You will almost certainly be asked for a copy when doing any visa extension/renewal.

I asked at the immigration office (spoken Thai) if I had to do this when I returned from Sweden September 2022. Yes! They answered. Got a receipt. Took 10 minutes. Floor 2 Chiangmai Immigration.

If you have been here for some time you LEARN that """OFFICE POLICY RULES."""

I ALWAYS file a TM-30 as POSESSOR and have the necessary documents to prove - rental / lease, UTILITY bills and deposits. Sometimes the landlord files, sometimes not.

YOU are ...RESPONSIBLE,,, that ALL Immigration docs are UP TO DATE period.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mikesil said:

There is no "correct" answer.

The law is whatever the person you are dealing with says it is.

The best response I have ever seen regarding "the law" in Thailand and especially WRT Immigration questions.

I just wish some other responses on this subject followed your advice!

As mentioned earlier, it depends on the office.  Here in Chiang Rai I have a retirement extension.  In December I returned from a 2 week trip to Egypt and came in using my re-entry permit.  A TM 30 was not submitted.  In late December I went in for my annual extension.  No issues about the TM 30.

• Thanks 2

I have done same weeks ago in Chonburi office. 

Had Type O Visa extension from 90 days to 365 days over there.   Years ago I had had Type O-A  Visa. The officer noticed there was one dated 2020 stapled to my passport. 

He requested to get replacement for 023,  or else no visa extension. 

Changing counter desk immediately to enquire,  I was rather surprised they looked at my current Condo Lease ( I rent)   and checked the computer record and satisfied and printed and signed new updated one for me right at the spot,   all took around 10 minutes.   And I don't need to bother the Condo Owner in the process. 

43 minutes ago, Letseng said:

In 2022 CW asked for TM30 when renewing ret. ext.

In 2023 CW didn't want TM30.

Same officer dealt with paperwork.

You were unlucky 2022. 

Assuming you had not changed address. 

TM30 is not required at CW for extensions based on retirement. 

On 3/23/2023 at 9:02 AM, mikesil said:

There is no "correct" answer.

The law is whatever the person you are dealing with says it is.

Unfortunately for applicants having to navigate the Thai Immigration jungle, what you wrote is largely true.

However if you are 100% sure that you are in full compliance with the Immigration requirements (e.g. when on previous occasions you were not challenged by the Imm Officer), you could politely ask to speak to the Imm Officer in charge.  Obviously if also the Head Honcho of that Office insists, you then politely apology for not having been aware of the rule that you are challenged on.  Local Imm Offices can impose additional requirements on top of the 'official' ones, which results in the inconsistency in requirements depending in which Imm Office you apply.