Govt Invites Public to Buy Fruits From Thailand Post

webfact

image.jpeg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand Post has launched a promotion to encourage the domestic consumption of Thai fruits and reduce surplus production.

Deputy Government Spokesperson Ratchada Thanadirek announced that the harvest season for fruit crops has started in the Eastern Economic Corridor, encompassing the provinces of Chonburi, Rayong and Trat. The expected 2023 production volume is around 1.16 million metric tons, with the highest yields in April for durian, producing 756,000 tons, and those in May for mangosteen producing 184,000 tons.

To promote domestic consumption of Thai fruits and reduce surplus production, Thailand Post has launched a special promotion for fruit farmers and customers wishing to send fruit parcels.

Starting at a price of 50 baht for parcels not exceeding 3 kg, the service offers flat-rate fees for those weighing up to 20 kg, including express mail service (EMS) with standard delivery nationwide. Customers can access the service at any Thailand Post branch.

Orders can be made via the Prompt Post application or the website “promptpost.thailandpost.com”, with simple steps for box reservations, pickups at the chosen post office and box labeling for delivery.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230326162613917

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-03-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

"Thailand Post has launched a promotion to encourage the domestic consumption of Thai fruits and reduce surplus production?"

Why would you want to reduce surplus production when it can be sold to other countries and make Thailand more prosperous? Again, the Thai govt shows their extreme flexibility by bending over backwards and inserting their head incredibly far up their a$$es. Incredible.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Maybe that bumper crops will help reduce the fruit's price in the market that have been steadily rising of late.

That's crazy thinking, drop the price... god no.

Better to charge people top price and sell the surplus that people can't afford with stupid gimmicks.

• Haha 1

Not surprised Thai Post has stopped concentrating on mail in favour of fruit. I paid 300 baht to send a letter to UK which never arrived.  After waiting a decent length of time, I went back to the office to find it shut down & the girl who took my money may well be living in Dubai now.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Not surprised Thai Post has stopped concentrating on mail in favour of fruit. I paid 300 baht to send a letter to UK which never arrived.  After waiting a decent length of time, I went back to the office to find it shut down & the girl who took my money may well be living in Dubai now.

So you didn’t send it via Thailand Post. You gave your money to an independent vendor. If you sent via Thailand Post, you would have a receipt with a Tracking Number which you could use as a reference. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

What with 300 baht?

If you have a tracking number you will see where it is.

This is simply Thai Post trying to actively compete with the courier businesses, Kerry etc.

Daughter #1 runs the in-Thailand online marketing for a fruit export company - over 90% of their product goes overseas, mostly China and Singapore, but they were very successful last season selling top-grade durians individually packed and couriered within this country, and underway now for the current season with an additional employee dedicated to selecting/packing durians.

We've sent boxes of fruit to relatives, and have received same - several 5kg boxes of oranges arrived late 2022, all were sent via Thai Post so it's not entirely a new idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

Where is all that durian overproduction? The prices are going through the stratosphere as gobs of the crop are now sent to China. I did buy some durians at a stall the Taling Chan Post Office set up inside its parking area last year. They do a better job selling than shipping, IMO. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand Post has launched a special promotion for fruit farmers and customers wishing to send fruit parcels.

Interesting, but can Thailand Post guarantee freshness of the fruit so one does not receive a parcel of stale/mouldy fruit?? Perhaps TP will use refrigerated trucks.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

23 hours ago, NextG said:

So you didn’t send it via Thailand Post. You gave your money to an independent vendor. If you sent via Thailand Post, you would have a receipt with a Tracking Number which you could use as a reference. 

I have a pink receipt.  It does not have a tracking number on.  The shop had Thai Post in big red letters over the top.  Do you think I sit making up stories?  (The last bit about Dubai was to show TIT humour.)

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

I have a pink receipt.  It does not have a tracking number on.  The shop had Thai Post in big red letters over the top.  Do you think I sit making up stories?  (The last bit about Dubai was to show TIT humour.)

“Thai Post” is not Thailand Post. You didn’t arrive in Thailand yesterday. You should know the difference between a post office and an independent vendor. Thailand Post give white printed/thermal  receipts with tracking numbers. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NextG said:

“Thai Post” is not Thailand Post. You didn’t arrive in Thailand yesterday. You should know the difference between a post office and an independent vendor. Thailand Post give white printed/thermal  receipts with tracking numbers. 

I got one of those from a Mail Boxes kiosk in Big-CX Pattaya, and was at least able to track it to the airport.. after that less details. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 12:09 PM, John Drake said:

Where is all that durian overproduction? The prices are going through the stratosphere as gobs of the crop are now sent to China.

Are they sending the top grade durians to China and keeping the lower grades here?

Bought durian two times this year.

Once from a roadside seller.

Second in Central mall.

Both times the Durians weren't soft and had lots of fiber.

Is this normal?  When I bought it in the past don't remember so much fiber in the fruit.

Maybe I just prefer "very, very" ripe durians that melt in your mouth.

If I want fiber, I can eat avocados (the highest fiber fruit available).

????

On 3/29/2023 at 10:03 AM, jacko45k said:

I got one of those from a Mail Boxes kiosk in Big-CX Pattaya, and was at least able to track it to the airport.. after that less details. 

Correct..I recently sent an important document to the Cdn government via Thailand Post air mail registered. I received a formal receipt and tracking #.When I looked up the tracking a few days later all information stopped the day it left Thailand.So much for that.I can only hope it reached its destination.I must say though that I've received important docs from them with no issues.

3 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Are they sending the top grade durians to China and keeping the lower grades here?

Bought durian two times this year.

Once from a roadside seller.

Second in Central mall.

Both times the Durians weren't soft and had lots of fiber.

Is this normal?  When I bought it in the past don't remember so much fiber in the fruit.

Maybe I just prefer "very, very" ripe durians that melt in your mouth.

If I want fiber, I can eat avocados (the highest fiber fruit available).

????

The new Thonburi Market on Borom has a good selection of durian dealers as you walk in the first building to the left. Better to buy there than buy the durians themselves and then open them. At least you can see what you're getting. But it does seem to me that quality durians are being emphasized for export. I did see an article about Chinese buying Vietnamese durians because they were cheaper. And that should eventually put pressure on prices here, along with the news of the first crop of domestic Chinese produced durian from Hainan.