Replacement Thai Birth Certificate

GuestHouse

Has anyone here had any direct experience of obtaining a Thai Birth Certificate?

If so:

What was the procedure?

What documents were required?

How long did it take?

Can this only be done at the Amphur Office, where the original certificate was registered?

When my Thai wife lost hers last December we went to the Pakchong Ampur that the original birth certificate was registered in. Took the usual ticket for the right counter for Births and waited a few minutes. She produced her ID card and the house book of her mum and paid around 20 baht and a new one was issued. Her mum went with us just in case but this wasn't neccesary. We were in there no more than 30 minutes.

My wife's original birth certificate was destroyed in a fire years ago.Without it, she nonetheless was able to immigrate to the USA. But without it, she was not able to become eligible for retirement(when she turns 62) under the plan which covers me.When we moved to Thailand we tried again to get a replacement, a couple of times.Finally,a new lady in charge in that section at the Amphur knew the procedure.What they wound up doing was to call in family members and a couple of close relatives(aunt,nephew,etc.) and had a little questioning session about family history.I also brought along my wifes folder which contains every piece of paperwork(immigration,marriage,passport,etc..) known to me with my wifes name on it.It took one day,at the end of which, she had a replacement Thai Birth Certificate.

Good luck to you and don't give up.They can do it if they want.Maybe taking someone with a little clout along when asking about it will help.