Property Issue

After a foreigner get married with a thai national spouse, is this thai spouse allowed to purchase a property?

If not, how to do if the couple want to purchase a preperty.

If yes, after the thai spouse purchase the property (I am not talking about who really paid for it). Then they get divorced, how to devide the property? The property will be owned by foreigner/thai spouse/half half?

No websites, I want the direct answer please.

Thanks.

Krab

The law preventing the Thai spouse of a foreign national from owning land was repealed some years ago.

There are no limits now, name change to farang name doesn't matter.

When your wife buys land you sign a paper stating that you (as the foreigner) have no interest in the land and that the money was entirely hers, you get none of it if you divorce. NOTE this only applies to the LAND, the house on it can be jointly owned.

Hi Crossy,

Thanks for your info.

So your view was:

1. The thai spouse CAN purchase the property after marriage with a foreigner.

2. The house purchased after marriage will be devided upon a divorce case if the couple didn't sign any pronouncement beforehand.

3. Then could you tell me how to devide the house. Pay in cash? Whom will still own the property and will pay the other party in cash?

Please confirm. Show me relative documents if you can. Thanks.

krab

The Thai spouse will own it (of course - foreigners can't own land). Many foreigners use a usufruct, or lease arrangement to protect their assets...

There are plenty of articles about this all over the place!

Hi Doctor,

Can you explain to me what usufruct is all about? What can the foreigner get after divorce if the couple sign an usufruct beforehand?What can the foreigner get after divorce if the couple didn't sign the usufruct beforehand?When will the usufrust be signed, before/after marriage? before/after purchasing? Thanks so much.

krab