Johnson & Johnson proposes $8.9 bn settlement of talc cancer claims

webfact

image.jpeg

US pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson on Tuesday proposed an $8.9 billion settlement to resolve years-old lawsuits claiming that its talcum powder products caused cancer.

The New Jersey-based company said the proposed settlement, which still needs the approval of a bankruptcy court, “will equitably and efficiently resolve all claims arising from cosmetic talc litigation.”

If approved by the court and a majority of the plaintiffs, the $8.9 billion payout would be one of the largest product liability settlements ever in the United States, ranking alongside those entered into by tobacco companies and, more recently, opioid manufacturers.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/johnson-johnson-proposes-8-9-bn-settlement-of-talc-cancer-claims/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

My wife showers ( covers herself)with talc as do many up here in Issan .To keep cool and for appearance. They also use bpaaeng( powder) heavily during Songkran festivities.

Growing up in the states we hardly used it . I got married , had kids and used it during diaper changes!

When I ended up in Thailand I was astonished at all the uses by Thais.

I doubt this news will change Thai behavior and curtail its use.

13 minutes ago, riclag said:

My wife showers ( covers herself)with talc as do many up here in Issan .To keep cool and for appearance. They also use bpaaeng( powder) heavily during Songkran festivities.

Growing up in the states we hardly used it . I got married , had kids and used it during diaper changes!

When I ended up in Thailand I was astonished at all the uses by Thais.

I doubt this news will change Thai behavior and curtail its use.

I think the problem, asbestos, has been removed from the talc now.