ฤๅษี hermit (spelling/pronunciation)

kokesaat

According to what I can find, the word for 'hermit' can be spelled:

ฤๅษี   ฤาษี  or ฤษี

Is there any difference in the verbal spelling (pronunciation of each letter) for the 3 different spellings?

Technically speaking, the Thai word ฤษี should have a slightly different pronunciation than ฤๅษี. The ฤ (ru) sound in ฤษี is shorter than the ฤๅ (ruue) sound in ฤๅษี.

Regarding the difference between the Thai words ฤๅษี and ฤาษี, it is important to note that the correct form of the word for "astrologer" is ฤๅษี. The existence of ฤาษี is technically incorrect, as it should be written with the ๅ character as ฤๅษี. However, the newer form of the word has found its place in modern Thai text, possibly due to the infrequent use of the ๅ character.

5 hours ago, PPMMUU said:

Technically speaking, the Thai word ฤษี should have a slightly different pronunciation than ฤๅษี. The ฤ (ru) sound in ฤษี is shorter than the ฤๅ (ruue) sound in ฤๅษี.

Regarding the difference between the Thai words ฤๅษี and ฤาษี, it is important to note that the correct form of the word for "astrologer" is ฤๅษี. The existence of ฤาษี is technically incorrect, as it should be written with the ๅ character as ฤๅษี. However, the newer form of the word has found its place in modern Thai text, possibly due to the infrequent use of the ๅ character.

Thanks for the info. I've been an amateur Thai learner for 15 years......can read/write/type/speak passably, and can't say I've come across the character (ฤ)ๅ.  I never learned the alphabet (a,b,c,d), so maybe that's where I missed out.  Thanks, again.

• 2 weeks later...

the short า is never used with ฤ, ฤๅ is considered a separate vowel

due to infrequent use and difficulty in finding the character on the keyboard, ฤา misspelling has cropped up

it's also hard to see the difference on some typeface ฤาฤๅ

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2023 at 8:25 PM, kokesaat said:

Thanks for the info. I've been an amateur Thai learner for 15 years......can read/write/type/speak passably, and can't say I've come across the character (ฤ)ๅ.  I never learned the alphabet (a,b,c,d), so maybe that's where I missed out.  Thanks, again.

Interestingly, ฤ, ฤๅ, ฦ, and ฦๅ are commonly categorized as vowels, not alphabets. Don't ask me why.