Wedding License Translations And Non-o Visas

Well, my visas run out at the beginning of August, and since I only have about one month's income to show for support, I was hoping to try and get a new Non-O visa in Penang.

So, two questions: My Marriage License (to a Thai Woman) is from the United States, and I was curious as to whether or not I needed a certified translation, or they'd just accept a copy of the marriage license and her Thai passport. If I DO need to get all these things certified (copies, translations, etc.) any ideas where?

Secondly, CAN I get a new Non-O outside of the US in this fashion? I'm out of extensions from my last visa, and don't have the qualifications to renew it inside LOS (No work permit, and only one month showing the 40K+ income). If there's any critical flaws in my schemes, please suggest an alternative, so I can get all my preparations in order...

And thanks again for everyone's help!

An application for a Non Imm "O" visa must also be accompanied by the original marriage certificate and a photocopy for their records.  You may apply for a visa in any country you wish outside of the US and most countries that have a land border with Thailand will grant you one with a minimum of fuss.

As Malaysia has English as their second language their is no need to translate your marriage certificate.

You can get non "O" visas for as long as you wish to make the journey accross the border to apply for them as you have a Thai wife.

Badbanker

Well, my visas run out at the beginning of August, and since I only have about one month's income to show for support, I was hoping to try and get a new Non-O visa in Penang.

So, two questions: My Marriage License (to a Thai Woman) is from the United States, and I was curious as to whether or not I needed a certified translation, or they'd just accept a copy of the marriage license and her Thai passport. If I DO need to get all these things certified (copies, translations, etc.) any ideas where?

Secondly, CAN I get a new Non-O outside of the US in this fashion? I'm out of extensions from my last visa, and don't have the qualifications to renew it inside LOS (No work permit, and only one month showing the 40K+ income). If there's any critical flaws in my schemes, please suggest an alternative, so I can get all my preparations in order...

And thanks again for everyone's help!

Edited by Badbanker

Well, that's considerable peace of mind, thanks! Any chance they'll give me extensions, you think?

I was also thinking about possibly hitting up the Consulate in Hong Kong instead, since I'd like to visit there. But while the main page here on TV says it would be excrutiating and I'd probably be turned down, the one trip report here on the forums I saw said it was quite pleasant. :o

Plus I understand Penang is fairly boring, so there's that too.

Edited by fivevenoms

I think the places to go for the least problems are Laos and Malaysia.  Singapore will want to see money in the bank and Cambodia can be interesting!  My own experience with Hong Kong is good but others will give you a more recent update.

This still gives you a choice of 5 different consulates! Extensions are something that you aply for in Bangkok and are based on your financial status. Still if you or you wife get jobs and can make the magic 40,000 baht which is taxed in an appropriate manner, there is no problem getting a visa extension. Sunbelt will arrange it for you with out much problem!

BB

Well, that's considerable peace of mind, thanks! Any chance they'll give me extensions, you think?

I was also thinking about possibly hitting up the Consulate in Hong Kong instead, since I'd like to visit there. But while the main page here on TV says it would be excrutiating and I'd probably be turned down, the one trip report here on the forums I saw said it was quite pleasant. :o

Plus I understand Penang is fairly boring, so there's that too.

Edited by Badbanker

Hmmm. I suppose I meant re-entries, then! But if it's less likely to get approved in HK, I may as well go to Penang then. Cheaper to get there, albeit not as 'exciting'.

So to properly phrase the question, do you think (in either location, or Cambodia for that matter) I'd have problems getting multiple entries on my Non-O? The whole point of this is to be able to stay long enough to get my job situation in order so I can get extensions in the future, so aside from the marriage license and my delightfully average conversational Thai, I won't be able to give them any evidence other than that.

Singapore and KL seem to be willing to issue a multi-entry Non O to married people

as long as you can show a bank account with 400K baht.

The account does not appear to have to be in Thailand.