Terrible Pictures

In what way are they bad?

Why do digital cameras seem to take such bad pictures when indoors and night shots.????.my digital a casio,and before that a sony cyber shot,which i must admit was better than the Casio.

sounds like you are using the equvalent of a Kodak disposable film camera

it simply cant do it.

using flash? well it wont cover more than about 3 feet with good exposure.

long exposure? the limits of sensitivity will prohibit a good result

get a real camera!

• 4 weeks later...
Why do digital cameras seem to take such bad pictures when indoors and night shots.????.my digital a casio,and before that a sony cyber shot,which i must admit was better than the Casio.

The usual reason for 'poor' quality flash and night pics is that the sutter speed is normally too high and only the light from the flash is recorded (along with bright light souces) and this will only cover a short distance - its 'illuminating power' and therefore 'correct exposure' is thus limited its called the 'Inverse Square Law' Try putting your camera on ' manual setting' and select a shutter speed of say one eight of a second an ASA rating of 400, and a large aperture, this combinaation will now pick up a lot of the 'ambient background lighting' plus the flash ad if you are very clever you can almost balance one against the other with the flash being more of a 'fill-in'

I used to do this with wedding photography, when I was shooting a shot of the couple walking down the Aisle of the church.

Don't be put off by people saying that you can't 'Hand hold' slow shutter speeds - try it for yourself and remember the biggest fault with most photographers is that they JAB the shutter instead of SQUEEZING THE SHUTTER and keeping the finger depressed until the exposure is over. This way you get much less 'camera shake'

Hope that this is some help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You might look at the camera menu and choose "fill flash".

Try that and see if your shots improve.

Yes, good point. Forgot to mention that one when I replied earlier. Many of the lower priced 'compacts' don't seem to have that facility, which is a pity. I think that it stops a lot of people experimenting and lets face it; with a digital camera, you can take all the shots in the world - until you fill up the memory card and it doesn't cost a penny to experiment, not like in the old days, when you could rack up a small fortune in film costs never mind the horrendous costs involved in using the old 'bulb' flash - you can tell how old I am from that comment. Many a burnt hand changing those old PF5 bulbs :o . No excuses today for NOT trying anything - no matter how bizarre.