Colonoscopy Chiang Mai recommendation please

amexpat

On 5/2/2023 at 8:52 PM, amexpat said:

Government hospitals?

I presume you mean as a private patient? Assuming you do, in Chiang Mai you would probably visit Sriphat Hospital which is the private arm of the government hospital and is equally as expensive as the other private hospitals. I suppose you could try going to a government hospital and assuming you have a gastric or bowel complaint, that may see you referred for a colonoscopy but I suspect it would take time, involve lots of waiting and the cost may end up being similar. If the need for the colonoscopy was not driven my medical factors and you just wanted a ten year exam as an elective procedure, I doubt you would be able to arange that at the government hospital, but I may be wrong.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bamboozled said:

I've done a couple at Rajavej but I can't recall the price. It's been awhile but I remember not feeling fleeced.

3 times at Rajevej.

Last time was 5 years ago and was about 21,000 baht including overnight stay.

On 5/4/2023 at 2:10 PM, bamboozled said:

May I ask why the overstay was required?

I have just had a gastrocopy and colonoscopy done as part of an investigation which cost around 23000 THB at Thonburi Chumphon Hospital. The reason you would have an overnight stay is to ensurs all you pipework is totally clear via medicine/laxatives before having the procedure. And the colonoscopy was done whilst I was put under, thankfully!! 

• Like 1

I just had it done at Rajavej all went well. 

26000 two polyps removed and sent for biopsy.

Total time at hospital about 3 hours.  

Only question, why will it take a month to get biopsy report? 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 10:09 AM, nigelforbes said:

I presume you mean as a private patient? Assuming you do, in Chiang Mai you would probably visit Sriphat Hospital which is the private arm of the government hospital and is equally as expensive as the other private hospitals. I suppose you could try going to a government hospital and assuming you have a gastric or bowel complaint, that may see you referred for a colonoscopy but I suspect it would take time, involve lots of waiting and the cost may end up being similar. If the need for the colonoscopy was not driven my medical factors and you just wanted a ten year exam as an elective procedure, I doubt you would be able to arange that at the government hospital, but I may be wrong.

No you are correct. I tried to get a routine one at Suan Dok years ago and it was not possible. They said there had to be an underlying condition that warranted the procedure. They checked the cost and it was only about 2K Baht less than Sriphat (and they said there was a high chance of an intern doing the procedure). No thanks...