Immigration visit surprise

ExPatInChiangMai

I was approaching the deadline for my 2nd 90 day report on my retirement extension. Had moved out of my rental house into house my gf and I built. But, gotcha, house not assigned house number yet so couldn’t register TM30. Took a week of gf’s voodoo and visits to I think 3 local government offices to get house number and address and her blue book. 

my concern is we were living in the house for over one week and I know TM30 reporting is within 24 hours of stay. 

So the next day, with dread and pockets of baht for anticipated fines, we head off to immigration. Attempting the trifecta—register TM30, onsite 90 day report (since new address registration) and in preparation for getting drivers license going for Residence Certificate. 

Here come the surprises:

1) TM30 piece of cake. They have remodeled the office. More room AND air conditioned. The workers were very courteous and helpful.  And no mention of fine for late reporting.  Total time: 20 min

2) 90 day report: walk next door to copy room to get a copy of my fresh TM30 receipt. No waiting at walk up/drive up window. Bingobango. Done

3) Residence Certificate—firstly I want to explain clearly where you go. You do NOT  need to go through outdoor document review. If you enter the office from the front, you will see all the Visa related windows.  Ignore these and walk all the way to the right and go up one flight. Or if you are outside you can go in the side door (marked staff only) and go up one flight.  There they have a desk sitting in the hallway for Residence Certificates. Total no brainer. Gave her application form (downloaded), another copy of passport and TM30 and recent photo.  Expedited service 500 baht. Come back next day to pick it up. 

Total time at immigration — 40 min

now in fairness nothing was Visa related, but still we should give props to the workers. At all offices they were polite and helpful. Even the copying office. 

next week I will test the Dept of Land Transport.  For some reason I’m not so hopeful that process will match ????

• Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 10:20 AM, ProbPossConf said:

Be advised:  The "surprise" when you visit CM immigration is if you have a sudden urge to relieve yourself, there are NO tissue papers to wipe your mess.  There are bum guns, but how do you dry the wetness. 555.

always air dry.......and throw in a little twerking for the ladies.......let nature take its course ????

On 5/11/2023 at 10:20 AM, ProbPossConf said:

Be advised:  The "surprise" when you visit CM immigration is if you have a sudden urge to relieve yourself, there are NO tissue papers to wipe your mess.  There are bum guns, but how do you dry the wetness. 555.

Anyone who has traveled throughout SE Asia as well as living in Thailand would know that you always carry tissue with you. 

Chiang Mai Immigration has always been fine with me for over 10 years. The only problem was the long queues, but that has diminished considerably over the past years.

From experience with only using 2 other IOs besides CM I can honestly say that Nan has been the best thus far.

Having to choose between either a butt spray or toilet paper, I go for the butt spray any time, because the butt spray cleans the brown stuff while the paper only spreads it like peanut butter. 

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Having to choose between either a butt spray or toilet paper, I go for the butt spray any time, because the butt spray cleans the brown stuff while the paper only spreads it like peanut butter. 

Thanks for sharing ?

• Thumbs Up 2