Thai Owner Shocked: Indian Businessman Illegally Occupied Adjoining Buildings In Pattaya

webfact

So if I understand correctly, the guy had 3 buildings, 1 of which was rented out to the Indian, and 2 buildings that supposedly haven't been rented out for the past 5 years?

Business must be great in Pattaya, if you're unable to find anyone interested in renting those buildings for 5 years, or something is missing from the story.

Reading the whole article on how tolerant the owner seems to be, I think it is the latter.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BenStark said:

So if I understand correctly, the guy had 3 buildings, 1 of which was rented out to the Indian, and 2 buildings that supposedly haven't been rented out for the past 5 years?

Business must be great in Pattaya, if you're unable to find anyone interested in renting those buildings for 5 years, or something is missing from the story.

Reading the whole article on how tolerant the owner seems to be, I think it is the latter.

Probably there's a lot more to the story than what was told here, to have a property in Pattaya's central location and not visit it every now and than to see what is going on is hard to accept.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

he only came to inspect after five years

No view of your properties for five years?  Doesn't seem like a very diligent landlord.

But shirley he must have questioned the five years of utility bills that he or his property management office received.   Not curious as to why his empty buildings were racking up the same utility bills as occupied buildings?

The Indian fellow should send a bill to the landlord for renovating and maintaining the empty properties.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Why. Inherited property that he never really cared about or needed?

Not all Thais are slaving away for 500 baht a day you know. 

You're right about that I know one poo ying drives around all week collecting rents from all the property the family owns, 

Lots of wealthy Thais use property like a savings account in a bank.  They buy lots or buildings and then either rent them out for income or leave them empty while they appreciate in value.  Eventually they will build a new building or renovate the existing building and sell at a considerable profit.

Not looking at a property that may be in a distant town is not that unusual.

Edit:  I just noticed the owners name: Chinnawat.  I believe an alternate spelling is Shinawatra.   He probably has so much money that the value of a couple of old shophouses is not significant at all.

Edited by Callmeishmael
  • Thumbs Up 1

ha, classic cinema plot: rich kid inherits buildings that  he doesn't care enough to visit for years, and finds a successful Indian nightclub operating there, "employee" is actually the owner and flies back with the cash, leaving the cops and owner out cold. writes like a National Lampoon flick or Peter Sellers as the affable, bumbling Indian

• Haha 1

It does amaze me how many empty properties there are in Thailand (and i am not counting old derelict farm houses). Just 2 cases - 

1. I drive past a  small block of condos every day on the school run, in 6 years i have never seen a sign of any occupant - guess just for money laundering.

2. A whole row of about 10 shophouses was built on the ring road here in Udon about 8 years ago, rent was quite high i heard (about 14,000 baht a month, back then). They stayed empty for about 2 years, last time i drove past i had a good look and only about 3 appear to be occupied.

Just doesn't seem to make financial sense.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

an Indian businessman had trespassed and illegally turned the ground floor into a dance club

For a minute then I thought it was another Indian loses gold necklace to ladyboy story 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1