Getting Away From Cnx Airport

sutnyod

Hi,

I have some friends who want to go to Chiang Mai. Actually it's two: one speaks Thai and one doesn't. None of them wants to commit to a hotel before having seen it. That means they have to somehow get away from the airport to downtown. I told the Thai speaker to wait for a Songteaow and the other one to take the airport taxi.

Questions: are there better ways to get into town? The Thai speaker will arrive quite late in the evening, until when are there Songteaows going the airport route?

Thanks for all your advice.

Hi,

I have some friends who want to go to Chiang Mai. Actually it's two: one speaks Thai and one doesn't. None of them wants to commit to a hotel before having seen it. That means they have to somehow get away from the airport to downtown. I told the Thai speaker to wait for a Songteaow and the other one to take the airport taxi.

Questions: are there better ways to get into town? The Thai speaker will arrive quite late in the evening, until when are there Songteaows going the airport route?

Thanks for all your advice.

I believe you [or your friends] will find that tuk-tuk's and songteaow's are not permitted to wait inside the airport property, and to get one you either have to snag one dropping off someone or go just outside the airport entrance. There are usually Tuk-tuk's there but if they are arriving late , maybe not

If they are arriving late, I suggest the Airport Taxi NOT the Taxi Meter. I think it is 120 baht into the old city..

Again, my recommendation is Do Not use the Taxi meter.... There are many less than favorable stories about these cabs.

While there are some good drivers, they are in the minority, is my opinion

But be aware, they all will try and hustle you into some lodging or places where they have prearranged a commission...

Edited by Gonzo the Face

As Gonzo mentioned, keep it as simple as possible. Exit to the north end (to the left as you enter the terminal from incoming flights, past the Pizza Co.) Airport taxi there, 120THB to downtown (dicker if you feel like it, but I never had any luck). It'll be all of a 10 min. ride. No big obstacles.

Edited by calibanjr.

If they are arriving late, I suggest the Airport Taxi NOT the Taxi Meter. I think it is 120 baht into the old city..

Again, my recommendation is Do Not use the Taxi meter.... There are many less than favorable stories about these cabs.

While there are some good drivers, they are in the minority, is my opinion

Hold on now.

The airport taxi charges 120 baht for a 40 baht ride. The taxi meters might be theives, but I bet they charge less than that! :o

If the airport bus is still running you can get on that to Central airport Plaza for 10 baht each where you can always get a songteaow or tuk-tuk to any part of town for 50-60 baht. But is it worth the hassle for 40ish baht ?? Better with a taxi i think even if 120 baht (although i have never paid more than 100 baht) from airport to anywhere downtown.

Sorry, but I can't help but assume that convenience & common sense would take precedence in cases like these over saving $1-$2 or so.

So take the Airport Taxi (Airport "Limo", though they aren't actually limo's) :o I too don't like the meter taxis; for whatever reasons they also don't work out any cheaper than the airport limo; something to do with a surcharge; they're very good at charging surcharges, those taxi 'meter's.

I will save you the rant on what passes for meter taxis in Chiang Mai, but they're mostly just parked in a huge pack between Hai Ya and Airport Plaza intersection, not really doing much. I wonder if that was the plan when these vehicles were introduced..

It depends on how much stuff you have. I usually only carry a large gym-type (duffell) bag so I can get around easily and can easily take a bus for 10 baht right in front of the terminal or walk out in front of the airport and take a 20 baht songteaw.

If I have a lot of baggage, I take the airport taxis.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Someone correct me if I am wrong [and I'm sure someone will, even if I'm right]

I think what was called the "Airport Limo" is now called the "Airport Taxi", maybe because as another pointed out, they aren't Limos.

Last week, I didn't see any signs "Airport Limo"

NOT to be confused with "TAxi Meter"

A poster above is correct... they do have all kind of surcharges, pick up chg, drop off cge, waiting cge, using the turn signal chge , que up chg, and what ever else they think they can get away with..... however you can avoid these sur charges by paying a special fixed fee... guess who comes out on the short end..

For years and years CM has had a great need for the metre taxi, and this is what we got...

Take the non-metered. AIRPORT TAXI . I think the rate is now, after the flora expo, 120 Baht to the city or 140 baht if its across the river...

If you can afford and appreciate the convenience of flying, then dont quibble of 40 or 50 baht difference

It depends on how much stuff you have. I usually only carry a large gym-type (duffell) bag so I can get around easily and can easily take a bus for 10 baht right in front of the terminal or walk out in front of the airport and take a 20 baht songteaw.

Yep. That's what I do, even with some luggage. However, I thought I cannot recommend that to someone who is on holiday and has never been to CNX. Maybe I can persuade them to make a one-night booking at some hotel and let the hotel pick them up.

Thanks for all your answers.

The Montri Hotel is clean, comfortable, have cool air-con and has English TV. It is RIGHT in front of Thapae Gate in the middle of the tourist area. 650 a night during high season and cheaper now.

They pick up and drop off at airport, train station or bus station for FREE! :o

The Montri Hotel is clean, comfortable, have cool air-con and has English TV. It is RIGHT in front of Thapae Gate in the middle of the tourist area. 650 a night during high season and cheaper now.

They pick up and drop off at airport, train station or bus station for FREE! :o

650 THB, serious? Don't they have free wireless too? ######, I'm moving!

They pick up and drop off at airport, train station or bus station for FREE! :D

Thanks, Ulysses, and again, I usually DO stay at the Montri! :D @ Calibanjr: Not only do they have wireless, but you actually can get it in your room (I know other hotels only have it in the lobby area). Ask at the reception desk for a 24 hr access code. You will get a new one every day. Main thing for me (apart from wireless) they are soooooooo close to Gecko :o ! (and other used book stores)

Do they also give you a set of those small sharp knives that are so good for slicing tomatoes, as a bonus? :D:o

"They pick up and drop off at airport, train station or bus station for FREE!"

If you have hotel reservations, any hotel, and are having the hotel do an airport pick-up, make sure that the hotel knows whether it's an intl or domestic arrival. And warn your friends that if the hotel van isn't waiting there for them that they should check the other waiting area. My experience has been that the hotels get it wrong more often than they get it right.

Do they also give you a set of those small sharp knives that are so good for slicing tomatoes, as a bonus? :D:o

Ah yes, my Swedish friend, the Famous Ginsu Knives.

AND AS AN ADDITIONAL BONUS, for viewers who call in and book reservations in the NEXT TEN MINUTES, you will receive:

1) a complimentary Hot Oil Massage in the Palace Of Love massage parlor (see concierge)

2) a gen-u-wine Turkish 100% combed cotton bathrobe, size XXXL

3) a pitcher of Sangria (served in lobby 5-7 PM)

BUT THIS IS NOT ALL! Call NOW and receive TWO for the PRICE of ONE!!!!!!!!!

Operators are standing by, waiting to take your order. DO NOT MISS THIS ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY!

Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover Card accepted....Call NOW!!!!!!!

:D

Gave it a test-run this week. First time ever I took the airport taxi. I think I will do that now everytime I go there. My driver was very friendly and when we arrived at my hotel he had offered me one rai of his land for free. (in Payao Province) Said he had so much and would be very happy to give me a piece of it - he himself has no labour to look after it. Well, I gave him an update on Thai visa rules and declined. But tell me: where on earth do you meet taxi drivers like this????

Gave it a test-run this week. First time ever I took the airport taxi. I think I will do that now everytime I go there. My driver was very friendly and when we arrived at my hotel he had offered me one rai of his land for free. (in Payao Province) Said he had so much and would be very happy to give me a piece of it - he himself has no labour to look after it. Well, I gave him an update on Thai visa rules and declined. But tell me: where on earth do you meet taxi drivers like this????

Could have been the same guy that offered me his daughter, she was an 21 year virgin studying medicine at Mor Chor, also runner up in the Miss Thailand beauty pageant in 2005. Again because of the TV Forum rules I had to decline thie offer, he also offered the plot of land and enough money to build a new house on it, but rules are rules so I again declined. I even thought about relinquishing my rights as a TV member.

I have been using the Chiang Mai Airport Taxi Service for many, many years, probably in excess of 50 times. I have never had a bad experience with any of the drivers which is more than I can say for the meter taxis in Bangkok.