St Bernard.

Just interested if there are any other expat St. Bernard owners out there. Shame on you if I am because they are the ideal pet. Easy to control, love kids, moderate eaters [O.K. I lied there] and the local toe-rags leave me and my house well alone.

Anyone contemplating buying a big but friendly dog could do a lot worse. So, any takers?

Just interested if there are any other expat St. Bernard owners out there. Shame on you if I am because they are the ideal pet. Easy to control, love kids, moderate eaters [O.K. I lied there] and the local toe-rags leave me and my house well alone.

Anyone contemplating buying a big but friendly dog could do a lot worse. So, any takers?

A friend of mine at the university, his brother breeds them for International sales and has a very large and very well maintained kennel for them (all pedigree). However the cost for one is 30,000 baht! Though that's probably their monthly feed bill too. :o

Of course as soon as my wife saw all those cute puppies she wanted one but fortunately is a realist regarding the costs.

30,000 Baht? Bloody hel_l! I paid 8,000 Baht for mine! APPARENTLY her grandfather is one of His Majestys dogs.

My Mother told me in England you would not get much change from 80,000 for a St. Bernard.

My family were St. Bernard breeders when I was a child. I've had many of these dogs . I absolutely love the breed. I would have another one if I could find a smooth. I've never seen one in Thailand.

Errr..Find a smooth? Could you explain?

My family were St. Bernard breeders when I was a child. I've had many of these dogs . I absolutely love the breed. I would have another one if I could find a smooth. I've never seen one in Thailand.

Errr..Find a smooth? Could you explain?

True St. Bernards are a smooth coated breed. The rough coat you see now came from cross breeding with Newfoundlands long ago. In our kennel we would get about 50/50 smooth/ rough coat puppies. Don't see too many smooths anymore.

I'm not a St. Bernard owner, but am taking care of two and one just went home after a 3 months stay.

Both St. Bernards are staying in my house.

Beethoven (how did they come up with THAT name? :D ,

I put him to work. He needs to guard my house and the kennel. The sweetheart takes his task veeeeery serieus: he's fast asleep when I come home, or when people are coming he barks your head of .... and he can go on for an hour or so.

Now I'm strongly considering of banning him from his task and back to the kennels. But then, when I see him so very happily running around and taking a bath about 5 times a day, I might not do that.

BOSSY,

post-27646-1183988882_thumb.jpg

She came to me already before. She couldn't walk when she was brought in. She had severe tick disease. I made a deal with her: within a week you can walk I told her. And she looked at me as if she was going for that. Well .... it took two weeks, but after a week she was certainly trying to balance on all fours! After two months with me no owner contacted me anymore. So i called them up. They told me they couldn't keep her anymore. Told me their situation and i offered to help finding a home for her. I failed in that, so she went to the local rescue house, only to return a couple of months later as she was again so sick that she couldn't walk. :o

Now Bossy is back on her feet again. And I think I just found her two potential new homes!!!

Come on Baboon and Lannarebirth who of you is becoming her new loving home, providing her with some wonderful last years of her life?!!!!!!! :D:D

She is about 6 years old and a long-haired St. Bernard. But the smoot haired version has been arranged already: she is shaved. :bah: She had only twice tick fever, but that can be managed by a good diet (she is on a raw diet now ... naturally). She is still on antibiotics, but that should be finished in a month. Unfortunately, she also has slight heart problem, but then that's under control with some pills as well. Oh, and she's spayed. She is .

You will be amazed at the sweetness of this animal. She is adorable, easy with people, easy with kids, easy with other dogs, and curious but not aggressive with cats. And you only have to crack a plastic bag and she is right at your feet. Not that you should give her the contents of the bag, because she should not become too fat again.

Now, now, now? Who will it be??? :D

Nienke

Hi Neinke,

At present, I've 9 dogs, 4 cats, 1 pig, and countless chickens. There's always room for one more, but unfortunately not at present. 8 of the dogs I have are "farm dogs" and while we feed them and do vet visits, I'm still not caring for them as well as I'd like, but I'm working on it. By next year I'll have built my house out on 70 rai, with ponds and forests and fences. I just know you'll have a special dog for me then too. That Bossy is a beauty. I agree.

O.K. I see. While you are still here do you think their rough coats help protect against tics and fleas or should I keep her well shaven?

If it were me, yes, I'd give her a haircut. Not too short, where the sun can birn her, but less. Neinke's the real expert, maybe he could chime in.

Baboon, really great that you're even considering of taking her. If your wife agrees, for sure she will fall in love with Bossy. Everyone who meets her does. :D

Lannarebirth, it looks you already have a zoo. For goats you can pm goatfarmer. :D

I can understand your reasoning. And I got the impression you start knowing me quite well, for sure I have several special dogs for you by next year! :o

70 rai with ponds and forest (with lots of wild life)... sounds like paradise to me, let alone to your animals!

Where do you get these 70 rai of land?

As for shaving the dog; personally I'm not in favor of doing so. It often changes the coat structure making it more wooly and easier to tangle. Bossy has been shaved because the first time she was covered with ticks and wounds as a result. And the second time she had several hotspots and skin irritation due to lack of proper grooming.

Beethoven has never been shaved, but as soon as the undercoat is coming loose and starts tangling he needs to be combed and brushed. Good exercise for the biceps :D

Shaving will not help against ticks or fleas, it only makes it more easy to spot. What does help against these parasites is:

1) good immune system established with the basic: a good diet

2) preventitive med's on or in the dog, such as frontline or ivermectin shots

3) have the vicinities sprayed by pest control

Nienke

Lannarebirth, it looks you already have a zoo. For goats you can pm goatfarmer. :D

I can understand your reasoning. And I got the impression you start knowing me quite well, for sure I have several special dogs for you by next year! :o

70 rai with ponds and forest (with lots of wild life)... sounds like paradise to me, let alone to your animals!

Where do you get these 70 rai of land?

I have 113 rai total, but I have 3 pieces that are contiguous which when combined are 70 rai. All the land we own is in the vicinity of the Prem Tinsulanonda Int. school. Some on the river, some on creek w/waterfall, but most in the foothills in Ban Mae An.

2) preventitive med's on or in the dog, such as frontline or ivermectin shots

3) have the vicinities sprayed by pest control

Nienke

ivermec is not working very well anymore on some of my dogs... :o

had some very lively ticks on some of my dogs last time, a few days after ivermec injection... on other dogs i found some dead and dried out ones. this was the last tick invasion so far here in elfesworld... at the moment find it very effective to put lots of tick powder on dogs and surroundings, floors where dogs walk an lie around. next day no more tick to be seen... don't know if very healthy for the dogs though.

pest control works well too :D

as for bossy, she's gorgeous, a real dog for the heart! wished you could keep her and take care with your wonderful treatment! it's ashame that everyone wants only a puppy :D and sometimes after a while they end up like bossy... :D

let's hope for a good home for bossy :D

ivermec is not working very well anymore on some of my dogs... :o

had some very lively ticks on some of my dogs last time, a few days after ivermec injection... on other dogs i found some dead and dried out ones. this was the last tick invasion so far here in elfesworld... at the moment find it very effective to put lots of tick powder on dogs and surroundings, floors where dogs walk an lie around. next day no more tick to be seen... don't know if very healthy for the dogs though.

pest control works well too :D

as for bossy, she's gorgeous, a real dog for the heart! wished you could keep her and take care with your wonderful treatment! it's ashame that everyone wants only a puppy :D and sometimes after a while they end up like bossy... :D

let's hope for a good home for bossy :D

If there is an invasion nothing really helps on or in the dogs, unfortunately. The only alternative left is pest control and, yes, ticky powder on all the dogs just before they come to spray. I just wish there's some angel from heaven who will tell me the secret of environmental friendly pesticides that works against ticks.

As for keeping Bossy, I have been tempted. I just don't want any more dogs. I just lost 3 of my 5 dogs in the last half year (old age, cancer and heart attack) and I have had enough for the moment. Also, as I'm so much busy with the guest dogs, my own dogs suffer. Plus, if I have only two dogs, I've got the opportunity to foster and train dogs from the rescue houses (something I used to do, but have been lacking to do due to circumstances in the last few months), or take special needy guest dogs in my house if the need arises.

Nienke

Elfe, you are dammned right when you say everyone wants only a puppy. A crying shame to see so many formerly lovely dogs abandoned and scavenging, infested with parasites. I do my best to try and give any stray a bite to eat, affection and a wash if possible but sadly my best is nowhere near good enough round these parts.

Your dog would not do the same to you.

I have 113 rai total, but I have 3 pieces that are contiguous which when combined are 70 rai. All the land we own is in the vicinity of the Prem Tinsulanonda Int. school. Some on the river, some on creek w/waterfall, but most in the foothills in Ban Mae An.

Now it even sounds more than paradise! You know that Steve Elliot, from the Departement of Biology, CMU, wrote a book about planting forest trees? That would be great if you could plant the original forest back... with a few rai where a dog kennel is build :o

I'm going to sleep now and dream of your paradise land :D

Nienke

I adore St Bernards but not in Thailand. The climate is all wrong. Too hot, too humid, difficult to give them exercise without overheating. Same with huskies. Their coats are just too dense. I took my throw-away lab to the river everyday; cool and big-tree shade. But then there's the tick problem from fresh water areas. Can't win. Thai dogs work for me. But, good luck with your charges, Nienke. Of course, I would end up adopting her if I was there just because I love older dogs.

But, good luck with your charges, Nienke. Of course, I would end up adopting her if I was there just because I love older dogs.

Thanks Jet! Got the feeling it's time for you to return to LOS :D:o

You can always adopt a dog on distance. But then not with me, that wouldn't be fair as I run a business. But with NR or Elfe, for example. :D

• 4 weeks later...