Penang - How Long?

I have stayed at both Grand and Hotel Continental but was some years ago. I also found Grand to be much less than grand - the only good point was a large size family room (but poor furnishings) and a pool on the roof (HC did not have pool at that time). It seemed to be Indian run and very rundown. Front office tried to cheat on exchange and cafe did the same on food (to both customer and hotel owners - off receipt charges). One time only.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turns out the Bayview is fully booked, which seems a shame going on what Fred said. Maybe I'll try the Continental (not grand), but if anyone has any suggestions for something similar to the Bayview, please feel free...

It was fully booked my last trip when I tried the Grand Continental. Funny that they never used to be booked. Anyway pal, the only other suggestion I can make is the overpriced Cititel. At least it's clean and doesn't have a stench like every other place I checked

That's weird. Just looking at the Cititel right now. Seems fairly similar, but you're right, overpriced. Still trying to work out whether 'single' means one double bed and 'double' means 2 double beds, since the difference in price is significant. Surely hotles don't have single beds in them anymore?

Hmmm, just got my answer. If you try and book the single, it won't let you enter more than one guest. I just can't believe a 4 star (or so they reckon) hotel has rooms with single beds. Crazy.

Edited by MKAsok

That's Penang for ya. The Bayview does the same. The cititel is ok though, small rooms but ok. dont know where they get off charging what they do but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Next time book that bayview way in advance. I am trying to book the bayview for Sept now. If they tell me they're all booked then something is up with that place. Btw, bayview just jacked their prices 30% in the past 3 months on top of the fact they say they have no rooms. I think they're jerking people's chains

Edited by Fred Sanford

Thanks Fred. I think you're right about the Bayview. Something weird there. When I booked yesterday, they wouldn't confirm the booking instantly. Came back to me 24 hours later saying no rooms available, but - get this - we do happen to have a suite. Anyway, just booked Cititel on the same website - http://www.penang-hotels.com/ and got instant confirmation, no problems. And since the price was inclusive of tax, actually worked out 1 rin cheaper than the Bayview in total (which was supposed to be cheaper but craftily didn't include the tax in the room price).

Thanks all. So the one day visa thing is a myth? There is no way an application can be submitted in the morning and picked up the same afternoon?

email NJ Books or Parvez Book store and see if they can do the expidited service at a premium charge

Thanks Fred. I don't suppose you have an e-mail for Parvez? I have NJ's.

mk

Edited by geoffphuket

Thanks Fred. I think you're right about the Bayview. Something weird there. When I booked yesterday, they wouldn't confirm the booking instantly. Came back to me 24 hours later saying no rooms available, but - get this - we do happen to have a suite. Anyway, just booked Cititel on the same website - http://www.penang-hotels.com/ and got instant confirmation, no problems. And since the price was inclusive of tax, actually worked out 1 rin cheaper than the Bayview in total (which was supposed to be cheaper but craftily didn't include the tax in the room price).

they gave me the same bait and suitch. let me know how that cititel was pal

they gave me the same bait and suitch. let me know how that cititel was pal

No probs Fred. Will do...

i dont use NJ bookstore anymore for anything for a number of reasons

i use banana guest house for most things

you can pinch a few more pennies by checking out a few exchange rates

and taking the bus back to the airport for less than 3 ringette (30 baht)

so anyone can go to immigartion after the 30 day extension and get 7 more days for 1900 baht no questions asked, is that correct? (forget about pinching pennies here)

so anyone can go to immigartion after the 30 day extension and get 7 more days for 1900 baht no questions asked, is that correct? (forget about pinching pennies here)

I love NJBooks. Never taken a bus to airport. Got details? Don't know where Banana guest house is and don't wanna know

If police ask u to show him passport on the street,

what do you do? you have any paper to show?

can the agent give u any paper in stead of passport?

If the agent lose your passport, can they pay back you any money for losing passport?

If counsalate ask you some question, how can they contact to you, if u use agent?

Why donot u go by yourself?

if u use bus to counsalate, go and return cost only 2RM, u know?

and

Ifcounsalate want to ask you question, but u donot stay there, what will happen, u know?

Why donot u go by yourself?

if u use bus to counsalate, go and return cost only 2RM, u know?

and

Ifcounsalate want to ask you question, but u donot stay there, what will happen, u know?

yes iknow but agency only takes 200b so no need to go yourself... and never heard that consulate need to ask questions. . if you have the papers they whant there should be okey ! . . not to be worrie.

and never heard that consulate need to ask questions.

because your friends always use agency and donot know the real,right?

and the agency give you any paper like receit when you give the agent passport?

MKasok . . i will also go Penang same date as you.... also my first penang trip :o But i do the trip by Train :D . will give feedback later ........... wish you good luck !

Thanks Omega. Good luck to you too. From the looks of things on the board, there's a few of us going on the 25th, so good luck to all... Will also turn in my report on return...

mk

I love NJBooks. Never taken a bus to airport. Got details? Don't know where Banana guest house is and don't wanna know

Fred: Lol... I'm with you on that pal. For better or worse, I'm going with NJ... A fair few positive reports here and the guy I spoke to (Ali) seemed pretty on the ball. You never know I guess, so, like I said, will give details when I get back...

Yes use agency is convinient, but

Please teach me what do you do if,

police ask u show passport on the street,if u have no exchange paper for passport from consalate?

If the agency lose your passport?

i am arriving 6pm from samui 6/8

return flight is 14.55 8/8

do you think my passport will be returned in time ?

probably 1pm is the cut off point

or is it possible to pay extra for the passport to be reurned on 7/8 ?

Mway - See my post here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1434854 Going on what Ali from NJ said, yes, it should be possible if you want to pay the extra 200bht... But as I said, as yet unconfirmed (by me anyway)...

I asked about the expedite service at NJ before; he said he can do it and I'm pretty sure the fee was larger than 200 baht for that. I can't remember the exact number but it was a lot higher than the normal 200 baht fee. Can't say for sure; maybe someone can email him for the exact number

I asked about the expedite service at NJ before; he said he can do it and I'm pretty sure the fee was larger than 200 baht for that. I can't remember the exact number but it was a lot higher than the normal 200 baht fee. Can't say for sure; maybe someone can email him for the exact number

He quoted me 190 rin for normal service, inc. all visa fees, transfer to/from airport and 210 for expedited including the same, so I'm assuming the difference is 20 rin. Remember, that's 400 bht total if you include the original 20 rin/200 bht. But yes, it's probably worth getting something in writing/e-mail...

Anybody can reply to my important question?

police ask u show passport on the street,if u have no exchange paper for passport from consalate?

Anybody can reply to my important question?

Jet: Just my opinion. I can't say for sure because I've never been to Penang, so cannot be sure about the frequency of stop/requests for your passport by the police. Maybe Lop knows more about the comparison between Thailand/Malaysia, so he might like to add something here, but this is my own view:

There's ALWAYS some risk you will lose your passport when it's IN YOUR OWN possesion, no matter how careful you are. I can't imagine (bearing in mind this is thier business and thier entire reputation is on the line) the risk of an agent losing your passport is significantly any greater than you losing it yourself.

As to getting stopped and asked for your passport, can you honestly say you EVER carry your passport around in Thailand? I certainly don't and I don't know ANYONE, not one person, who does, unless they need it for a specific reason i.e. they're going to a club, immigration, whatever. In nearly 15 years of on/off visiting/living in Thailand I have NEVER ONCE been asked on the street by the police to produce my passport. I've been approached by police (usually when they've closed down a bar/club I'm in) and told to "go home" plenty of times, but never once have they asked for ID. I guess because I've just been polite and done what I've been told. Again, I really don't know if the comparison between Thailand/Malaysia is useful, I'm just making an assumption.