American Man Arrested for Overstaying Visa in Thailand's Satun Province

webfact

02a6b8cee626a226d826afacfc83fc27c1c8b8bda3e2668202ed53733f206bf0.jpg

The Immigration Bureau in Satun Province apprehended an American man for staying illegally in Thailand, overstaying his visa by 81 days.

On June 21, 2023, following the directive of the Bureau’s chief, Pol. Maj. Gen. Sakchai Santanarat, nationwide checks on foreigners overstaying their visas were executed between June 7 and June 21, reported Siam Rath.

The operation in Satun was led by Pol. Lt. Col. Thanisorn Saengthanang, Satun's Immigration Division Deputy Chief, focusing on the island of Koh Lipe. It resulted in the arrest of an American man, identified only as Ahmed, who had entered Thailand through Suvarnabhumi Airport. He had overstayed by 81 days after his authorized stay expired on March 31, 2023.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Ahmed confessed to his illegal stay in the country. He was subsequently turned over to the Koh Lipe Police Station for legal proceedings.

Pol. Lt. Col. Thanisorn stressed that foreigners must respect their visa's stipulated duration. At its end, they should leave Thailand or request an extension. Violations could trigger legal repercussions, fines up to 20,000 baht, a potential jail term, or both. Additionally, culprits risk being blacklisted, inhibiting their future Thailand entries.

Foreigners are encouraged to comply with the immigration laws and any queries can be addressed to the Satun Immigration Office via telephone at 0 7471 1080 or email at [email protected].

Top Picture: Siam Rath

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-06-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ezzra said:

It's disturbing to see that in this country, overstaying your visa become to be a major criminals offence punishable with jail term like in those dictatorship's  runs countries.

At least it's not like this:

"On June 21, 2023, following the directive of the Bureau’s chief, Pol. Maj. Gen. Sakchai Santanarat, nationwide checks on foreigners overstaying their visas were executed between June 7 and June 21, reported Siam Rath.

For that, I think we can agree with Ahmed, il hamdu l'Illah

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

It's disturbing to see that in this country, overstaying your visa become to be a major criminals offence punishable with jail term like in those dictatorship's  runs countries.

Is it punishable with a jail term? How long does it take to get out of IDP and on a plane for deportation as persona non grata if you have the money for fines and airfare? 

21 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Is it punishable with a jail term? How long does it take to get out of IDP and on a plane for deportation as persona non grata if you have the money for fines and airfare? 

If you have the money it'll not take too long, but don't expect a normal airfare. If you had the money to pay for an extension you wouldn't end up in the immigration jail.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

I knew a guy who got banged up in IDC Bangkok, he told me people have been in there for years, He was out of there in a week, Only because somebody paid his fare 

Edited by ChipButty

8 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Why people overstay for so long. It's beyond my comprehension. 

No funds here to elongate their stay and nothing to go back to.

Sitting quiet here and riding it out for as long as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I knew a guy who got banged up in IDC Bangkok, he told me people have been in there for years, He was out of there in a week, Only because somebody paid his fare 

Yes,

You can get a lot of Middle Easterners in there for very long periods of time, especially Kurds, Iraqis, Iranians as their Embassies are not interested and their families have no money for airfares and fines.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

No funds here to elongate their stay and nothing to go back to.

Sitting quiet here and riding it out for as long as possible.

How much fund one needs for a border crossing? I don't think a huge amount. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, shackleton said:

This is a never ending subject as there will be people who won't or  can't extend their visa with the majority having   no funds available (...)

Still, puzzles me how they can live in Thailand if they don't have 1,900 baht for a visa extension. As for the guy in the OP, he could have actually crossed the border on foot, if he wanted to, as he was staying close to the Malaysian border anyway, thereby getting, initially, 30 (or 45 until March) days, but, perhaps, he had used his two allowed land-border crossings already...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Still, puzzles me how they can live in Thailand if they don't have 1,900 baht for a visa extension. As for the guy in the OP, he could have actually crossed the border on foot, if he wanted to, as he was staying close to the Malaysian border anyway, thereby getting, initially, 30 (or 45 until March) days, but, perhaps, he had used his two allowed land-border crossings already...

Still, puzzles me how they can live in Thailand if they don't have 1,900 baht for a visa extension....I Think You Forgot about the 400k /800k In The Bank account....

14 hours ago, ezzra said:

yes, gone are the days that Thai IO would tell you to just over stay, that it's no big deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Still, puzzles me how they can live in Thailand if they don't have 1,900 baht for a visa extension....I Think You Forgot about the 400k /800k In The Bank account....

Not needed for a VFE- or Tourist Visa extension. (And it's of little use if not married, or under 50 years old.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Yes,

You can get a lot of Middle Easterners in there for very long periods of time, especially Kurds, Iraqis, Iranians as their Embassies are not interested and their families have no money for airfares and fines.

Don't know why somebody posts a confused emoji.

My statement was crystal clear

16 hours ago, ezzra said:

Ok Joker, in your home country visa offenses are not punished or what?

9 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Edited by VinnieK