Humidity in Hua Hin - How long can you leave a condo unattended?

K2938

Is it possible to leave a condo in Hua Hin unattended for a few months (let's say 2-4 months) or is there too much humidity for this to be possible and everything will be full of mold afterwards?  I know that in many other places in Thailand like e.g. Phuket this would definitely be a very bad idea, but since Hua Hin has a much drier climate, I thought it might be better there.  Thank you.

I went and cleared a condo out for a friend, left his stuff there during covid. 35th floor. Never mind humidity, most stuff in the room cooked. Curtains, bed linen etc all ruined. Any food in jars etc literally baked. When we first entered unbearably hot

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, damen said:

Just get a widetech dehumidifier. you can set up the timing interval daily, weekly or monthly. The water tube outlet can connect into drain.

Thank you.  And without this?  I would rather not have something use electricity while gone

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1408555008_Screenshot2023-06-26at10-30-47450.x3-FarcentDehumidifierRose450ml.x3pcs.Lazada_co_th.png.13e5484b3d377b5a983b6914093b87c7.png

Put these in every wardrobe and cupboard and leave the door open.

Or

Buckets of dry sand around the place.

If wardrobes have lights, switch them on.

I leave ceiling fans on 24/7 365 days a year. Not expensive. Still working after 23 years (touch wood).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, damen said:

Just get a widetech dehumidifier. you can set up the timing interval daily, weekly or monthly. The water tube outlet can connect into drain. 

Thanks for pointing to this device, as it is something I am in need to.

Do you any estimate on the area one such device will cover, and how much electric it uses?

I see they are 420W, so it will be a lot more than 100 baht a month, as another poster said

Edited by BenStark

On 6/26/2023 at 11:49 AM, BenStark said:

Thanks for pointing to this device, as it is something I am in need to.

Do you any estimate on the area one such device will cover, and how much electric it uses?

I see they are 420W, so it will be a lot more than 100 baht a month, as another poster said

I apologize for the late reply.

The wattage of a dehumidifier depends on the size of the area it is used in. I am not sure if your condo is a studio or has separate bedrooms. I am currently using 4 WIDETECH Dehumidifier 12 L (WDH312NW1) units in my living room, study room, and 2 bedrooms. You can set up the timing through the Xiaomi app, but the machine will need to be connected to Wi-Fi in order to do so.

The model I am using is 125 watts and can cover an area of up to 25 m2. However, I believe that they can cover a larger area if they have to work harder.

I do not think that the electricity costs will be too high. However, if you run them for 1 hour every day, the costs will add up. Maybe set aside 400-700 baht per month to operate this machine? 

3 minutes ago, damen said:

I apologize for the late reply.

The wattage of a dehumidifier depends on the size of the area it is used in. I am not sure if your condo is a studio or has separate bedrooms. I am currently using 4 WIDETECH Dehumidifier 12 L (WDH312NW1) units in my living room, study room, and 2 bedrooms. You can set up the timing through the Xiaomi app, but the machine will need to be connected to Wi-Fi in order to do so.

The model I am using is 125 watts and can cover an area of up to 25 m2. However, I believe that they can cover a larger area if they have to work harder.

I do not think that the electricity costs will be too high. However, if you run them for 1 hour every day, the costs will add up. Maybe set aside 400-700 baht per month to operate this machine? 

Thanks for the reply.

I live in a house, a large one haha.

How long let you run them in each room, as I understand now they don't need to run permanently.

Don't worry about it. I'm sure one of your more entrepreneurial neighbors will rent the pace out to tourists while your're gone (and not tell you).

True story 555....I know a guy who left his condo unattended and when he came back after 2 yrs, even though it looked the same, it was suspiciously clean. And then he found a thank note on one of the shelves thanking the "host" for being able to stay in such a nice place and looking forward to coming back next year. Turns out the condo manager" had quite a nice little side business in that bldg during the scamdemic.

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

HH isn't that much drier.  60-80% year round, at least.

I'd would just run the ACs on dehumidifier mode.  Cheaper than replacing everything, although, you need someone to check in every now & then, as a power outage will screw that plan up.

Good inverter AC or stand alone dehumidifier really shouldn't draw that much electric.

Couple million baht condo, and you're concerned about maybe a 1k to 1.5k baht a month electric bill ?

How big is the condo ?  When we're not home, the house draws <5kwh a day, keeping 2 frigs running.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

Thanks for the reply.

I live in a house, a large one haha.

How long let you run them in each room, as I understand now they don't need to run permanently.

Yes, I live in Phuket. My house humidity is quite high because I live near the sea. When I go back to my country for a while, for example 4-5 months, I turn on the dehumidifier for 1 -2 hour daily during midnight, as midnight is usually the worst time for humidity. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2023 at 4:55 AM, Sandboxer said:

Don't worry about it. I'm sure one of your more entrepreneurial neighbors will rent the pace out to tourists while your're gone (and not tell you).

True story 555....I know a guy who left his condo unattended and when he came back after 2 yrs, even though it looked the same, it was suspiciously clean. And then he found a thank note on one of the shelves thanking the "host" for being able to stay in such a nice place and looking forward to coming back next year. Turns out the condo manager" had quite a nice little side business in that bldg during the scamdemic.

CCTV surveillance inside would solve any abuse from the property managers.

On 7/3/2023 at 9:55 AM, Sandboxer said:

I knew of an agent who moved in, she didn't realize the electric was paid by direct debit, the electric bill so the owner called a friend to go and take a look, sure enough all the agents clothes were there, 

• Haha 1